Boss Nine Dimensions - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Jon Kaase Racing Engines

Jon Kaase Racing Engines Jon Kaase is considered one of the best minds in the world of Big Block Fords and has created many parts to help enthusiasts with their 460 based projects. Gentlemen start your questions…
Photobucket

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:50 PM

mr_xa460 Driving a Ford
Default Boss Nine Dimensions

Hey gang

ive shot off an email to the crew at Kaase but understand they are busy so thought i would try here.

just wanted to know the dimensions of a boss nine engine compared to a standard 460... mainly after the width, but any dimentions (possibly with a diagram?) would be great.

my XA Falcon has an engine bay similar to a '70 mustang (maybe torino) i think so if i can get your shock tower width also it would help me compare.

here is a pic i took when doing mock up which shows how much room i have now. If i was to look at a boss nine i would notch the towers and an RRS suspension.

cheers

"I COME FROM A LAND DOWN UNDER"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 PM

bob460 First On Race Day

NO chance man, you have to modifi the shock towers to fit it in, it will fit in my xb sedan but only because i have no shock towers.(strut coil over front end)
Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 PM

mr_xa460 Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob460 View Post
NO chance man, you have to modifi the shock towers to fit it in, it will fit in my xb sedan but only because i have no shock towers.(strut coil over front end)
you got an rrs front end bob or something like the McDonald bro front end kit? can you show pics? engineered? if its engineered and rego'd did you have any hassels?

Last edited by mr_xa460; 03-22-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 PM

Zac First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob460 View Post
If an RRS suspension (don't have the first clue what that is) is anything like a Mustang II front suspension, it'd be easy to make one fit.

Look at Heidt's front suspension conversion (just one example) for the Falcons, Mustangs, Fairlanes, etc. A 8.2" deck height Windsor (221, 260, 289, 302) barely shoehorns between the shock towers of an early Falcon, but with a Heidt's or Rod & Custom Mustang II front suspension convertion, FEs and 385s easily fit in one of those cars. http://www.rcmotorsportsinc.com/
Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 PM

bob460 First On Race Day

Pm sent, maybe mr xa460 can post my pics on here for an example of my set up as i have the same engine bay as him.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 AM

mr_xa460 Driving a Ford

with an rrs suspension front end you can fit a modular motor into our falcons with notched shock towers so would be interesting to hear how much difference between a mod motor to a boss nine size wise

Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 AM

66prostreetFairlane First On Race Day
Garage

hey brother if you could manage to find a picture of the front end your speaking of i think you would get a better response. If it's anything like a mustang II front end and you plan to notch the towers, it will fit!

66' Fairlane Prostreet
Blown boss 9 521ci
Old 03-23-2012, 10:49 AM

Zac First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66prostreetFairlane View Post
If it's anything like a mustang II front end and you plan to notch the towers, it will fit!

x2

With a Mustang II-type front suspension, I would presume the towers could be permanently cut out/removed (the entire tower) altogether, freeing up a LOT of room.

Don't know about a Boss 9, specifically, but I believe the original Boss 429s were something to the tune of 29" wide from VC edge to VC edge. I would think a Boss 9 has to be roughly the same.

Last edited by Zac; 03-23-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:56 PM

mr_xa460 Driving a Ford

Google is your friend guys

here are some links off the RRS website. For you US blokes, there are suppliers over there now too i believe for RRS gear. RRS is Aussie made too

Notched towers:
http://www.rrs-online.com/shocktowerproducts.php

http://www.rrs-online.com/frontcoilovers.php

I also found these pics off Kaase's website, and im not sure what model car it is, but the engine bay is very similar to my XA only LHD. Appears the shock towers have been notched similar to the RRS setup.

hope this helps explain what i was getting at

cheers

Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 AM

nord315 First On Race Day

I was looking at Kaase's web site and noticed the following information at the bottom of the page that talks about their Boss 9 heads. Is that what you were looking for?

"Total width of the Kaase Boss Nine engines on a 10.320 385 series block from valve cover to valve cover is 29 inches."
Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 PM

bossfairlane First On Race Day

I am in the middle of putting a Boss 9 in a 66 fairlane with a Mustang II front end Cliff from Jon Kaases shop sent me some cad drawings of the boss nine. The only trouble I am having is getting the engine low enough to keep everything under the hood. Oh well that is what hood scoops are for

Rick
Old 03-29-2012, 08:26 AM

66prostreetFairlane First On Race Day
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossfairlane View Post
I am in the middle of putting a Boss 9 in a 66 fairlane with a Mustang II front end Cliff from Jon Kaases shop sent me some cad drawings of the boss nine. The only trouble I am having is getting the engine low enough to keep everything under the hood. Oh well that is what hood scoops are for

Rick
Do you have any pictures of where your at now? If you move the motor back and run a rear sump pan, should not be a problem. I'm not sure how much of yours is stock and what you end plan is. I have a cusomt mustang II setup and it's set back roughly 8 inches.

66' Fairlane Prostreet
Blown boss 9 521ci
Old 03-29-2012, 08:17 PM

bossfairlane First On Race Day

I have a reall MustangII front end and I am using a rear sump pan from Ford Racing. Kaase sent me a blemished head so I could mock up the engine compartment for motor mounts I have put an entire new frame in the car.
Right now it has no firewall, floor boards, engine compartment sides. and I am finding everything is real tight.Have to relocate master cylinder I might try to take some pictures and see if I am smartr enough to post them

Rick
Old 05-01-2012, 02:33 AM

XCSEDAN Driving a Ford
Send a message via MSN to XCSEDAN

hey mate, it will still be a tight squeeze with the BOSS9s in the XA i know because i'm setting up my XA coupe to fit the boss9's im using another front end design (not RRS), it will completely remove my shock towers all together.
i wouldn't bother with boss9s on a standard block though, i'd just say to use P51s, there's plenty of engines making 800+hp on the street with those heads now, shoot an email off to Kaase about it, and it'll fit in as the car is now i think.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:36 AM

Steve460 First On Race Day

The front strut package looks good.I reckon it would be some coin for it.I was going to buy the rack steering kit off them till I found out it was $1400.Pipes coming out where steering box,is a pain to fit.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.