Hole in my egr tube???? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:58 PM

BHolm First On Race Day
Default Hole in my egr tube????

I have a 97 f-350 with the 460 and have been noticing an exhaust leak for quite awhile and that my fuel mileage seemed horrible. So not thinking that much of it I took the truck on a small vacation drove it about 300 miles total. Turns out I was getting 6.87 mpgs on the express way. So when I got back home I decided to inspect. Turns out there was about a 3/8 hole in the egr tube. Can somebody explain the egr system to me I haven't really taken the chance to learn about it to much and could that be the reason for my horrible fuel mileage. I also got the code for full rich. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 PM

mp40 Driving a Ford

The EGR Or Exhaust Gas Recirculation system merely recycles a metered amount of exhaust gasses back into the intake manifold to reduce the Nitrates of Oxygen amounts. The EGR system also lowers the combustion temperatures and can reduce the engines tenancies to detonate. The EGR system only operates during the cruse cycle not during acceleration nor full throttle.

I tend to leave the EGR system on most of my engines as they really don't affect performance and keep the part throttle detonation down.

The lack of a functional EGR system can and will cause the MIL to light up on your dash, and cause the computer to over compensate and richen up causing the bad fuel econ.

Shocktower removal enthusiast.

The race is not over till the Fat Block Ford Sings!

FBHO
Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 PM

BHolm First On Race Day

Thanks for the explanation!!! I installed a new egr tube and it seems to be way better then it was.... Wow what a pain in the a** getting that fitting out of the exhaust manifold where the tube hooks up!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.