head porting - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM

cturk1010 First On Race Day
Default head porting

so i have been watching a lot of vids about head porting and have always thought about trying to do a set just never got up to doing a set just wonder how would be the best way to start i have a bunch of motors i could take one down and do a mild port on even just to clean them up and smoth them off so they flow a bit beter and not spend a ton of money just to do so but maybe it is beter to leave to the pros but then i think at one time they didnt know any more than i do now what do you think is it worth trying or would you stay away from this area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 07:43 PM

MrScharfenberger First On Race Day

Just about a year ago I ported my D3VE-A2A's. They were the first set that I ever did. I think I spent about $60 bucks on 3 high quality metal burs (I think it was $60 anyway). Be prepared to spend a good amount of time getting a set of heads done. I think I had about 8 hours into both heads. When I got done with them and then took them to the machine shop for a clean up cut and valve job they told me that they really looked good!! It is also worthy to note that Scotty "The Mad Porter" on here has a pay website that will walk you through doing this the first time. It is only about $25 bucks and I hear that it is worth the money if you are a beginner. I wish I would have known about it before I did it. Anyway keep in mind that I knew nothing about it and I think it turned out great. The motor is a 466 with flat tops and the D3VE heads. It runs on 87 octane pump gas with a small Lunati VooDoo cam and it will roast the tires from here to next week!! I say GO FOR IT!! You will never know unless you try!!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 PM

rmcomprandy Bleeding Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cturk1010 View Post
so i have been watching a lot of vids about head porting and have always thought about trying to do a set just never got up to doing a set just wonder how would be the best way to start i have a bunch of motors i could take one down and do a mild port on even just to clean them up and smoth them off so they flow a bit beter and not spend a ton of money just to do so but maybe it is beter to leave to the pros but then i think at one time they didnt know any more than i do now what do you think is it worth trying or would you stay away from this area
I would make a bet that the first port and 8th port don't resemble one another; especially when the heads are cast iron, LOL.

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 PM

FourEyed Freak Driving a Ford

Just be patient and go slow, it's an art
Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 AM

res0rli9 Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourEyed Freak View Post
Just be patient and go slow, it's an art

Yes I have two weeks in my heads, one per head.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:53 AM

cturk1010 First On Race Day
Smile

may be a good job for me in the winter when i get laid off from work stay in the worm shop and tinker looks like i have a project in the works already
Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 AM

jrocco Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
It is also worthy to note that Scotty "The Mad Porter" on here has a pay website that will walk you through doing this the first time. It is only about $25 bucks and I hear that it is worth the money if you are a beginner.
X1000 on this advice. The resources that Scotty has made to us on his web site are invailable, not only to the newbee but also professional porters. There are photos and so much technical information about what to do and what to not do that the small fee to have lifetime access to his site is the bargain of the century.

About 4 years ago I did a complete rebuild on me 429 engine in my Torino and I took my first stab at porting. I followed the instructions and guides on Scotty's site. After aI finished the porting I took my heads to a shop that has a flow bench and I was only off a few CFM from what Scotty publishes as his results.

Go check it out.

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFordTorinoClub/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.