460 Gas Mileage - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:05 PM

Kto17 First On Race Day
Default 460 Gas Mileage

This is my first 460. I love Fords and know a little about the 351 but nothing about the 460 except what I have read here so far.

I know its a joke asking for more gas mileage out of a 460, but there are tricks out there that work. I just need to know what works for a 460. Keep in mind its a daily driver not a racing engine and I drive 10-20 miles city a day.

I'm working with a 1995 Centurion C350 4x4 4-Door Bronco w/ 200k miles. Under it all its a f-350 4x4 auto w/ 4:10 gears. It's running 285/75/16 tires that are 3.5% larger than stock. It could use a tune up but I'm getting 10-11 city mpg. Hwy seems to be about 10 mpg running 65-70 mph.

On my 2-door 351, I did a tune up and advanced the timing to between 13 and 14, with a little extra gap in Autolite copper plugs, high po wires and coil, new cap and rotor. I picked up 2 mpgs and lots of bottom end. A better air filter and better breathing exhaust helps.

So will the same tune up help the 460?

I know the air filter will help it breath. I read the exhaust needs work. I'm considering a custom y-pipe w/ 2.5" mandel bends into a 3" high flow cat and 3" single stainless exhaust. Don't know what muffler, but I can't stand the sound of a flowmaster. The factory had dual 2" from the muffler back so single 3" is a slight improvement.

As unreachable as it sounds my goal would be 13 city and 15 hwy.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

1995 Centurion C350 4-Door Bronco 460
1993 Bronco XLT 351
1965 Buick Riviera 401
1963 Shasta Astrodome

Last edited by Kto17; 05-22-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 07:27 PM

rmcomprandy Bleeding Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kto17 View Post
This is my first 460. I love Fords and know a little about the 351 but nothing about the 460 except what I have read here so far.

I know its a joke asking for more gas mileage out of a 460, but there are tricks out there that work. I just need to know what works for a 460. Keep in mind its a daily driver not a racing engine and I drive 10-20 miles city a day.

I'm working with a 1995 Centurion C350 4x4 4-Door Bronco w/ 200k miles. Under it all its a f-350 4x4 auto 4x4 w 4:10 gears. It's running 285/75/16 tires that are 3.5% larger than stock. It could use a tune up but I'm getting 10-11 city mpg. Hwy seems to be about 10 mpg running 65-70 mph.

On my 2-door 351, I did a tune up and advanced the timing to between 13 and 14, with a little extra gap in Autolite copper plugs, high po wires and coil, new cap and rotor. I picked up 2 mpgs and lots of bottom end. A better air filter and better breathing exhaust helps.

So will the same tune up help the 460?

I know the air filter will help it breath. I read the exhaust needs work. I'm considering a custom y-pipe w/ 2.5" mandel bends into a 3" high flow cat and 3" single stainless exhaust. Don't know what muffler, but I can't stand the sound of a flowmaster. The factory had dual 2" from the muffler back so single 3" is a slight improvement.

As unreachable as it sounds my goal would be 13 city and 15 hwy.

Thoughts?

Thank you,
After being sure everything is tuned-up right...
A free flowing LARGE DIAMETER "Cat Back" DUAL exhaust system is the best mileage improver you will find. Use the longest, straight through Dyno-Max mufflers you can fit.
A 3" SINGLE is not free flowing enough. If going the single route get the diesel 4" or even aftermarket 5" system.

EDIT: A good FRESH AIR intake system is next.

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting

Last edited by rmcomprandy; 05-21-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:57 PM

MrScharfenberger First On Race Day

There is one thing you can do right now and it won't cost you a dime. In fact you don't even have to turn a wrench to make it happen. It is kind of tough to do in man-land though but it WILL work. Don't drive 70 mph on the highway. Drive 55 mph. It WILL save gas. I know it is tough especially if the speed limit is 70. I kind of doubt that you have cruise control on there but if you do USE it. Cruise control is far more efficient than your foot. ....especially if you set it at 55 mph. That may all sound like a smart butt answer but it isn't meant to be. I'm totally serious. It will help.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 PM

turbo2256b First On Race Day

My foot will beat cruse control any day
Old 05-21-2012, 11:32 PM

Kto17 First On Race Day

This one is loaded, so it does have cruise.

I drive like grandma in town or my city mpgs would be worse. Hard to believe but rarely cross 2,000 rpms.

I'll try driving slower and see how much difference it makes on the hwy.

I'm also going to insulate the intake from the grill to the throttle body.

1993 Bronco XLT 351
1965 Buick Riviera 401
1963 Shasta Astrodome
Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 AM

The muffler on that is the same that was used on the SBF version. Just a cat back system can help a lot.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:10 PM

ripsnorter First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2256b View Post
My foot will beat cruse control any day
Kind of a short and sweet statement, but I'll give my 2 cents to it.

I spent quite a while playing around with driving for good gas mileage. I do believe that if you just use your foot and drive with a "speed up going down hills and let it slow a bit up hills" method, you'd do better than cruise.

If you're talking maintaining an exact speed up and down hills and not disrupting traffic, I don't think anyone's foot can compete with cruise unless it's a REALLY bad cruise control unit.

The problem with speeding up and slowing down for mileage is that it's extremely disruptive to traffic. If I'm behind a car that is in the middle lane going 75 down a hill and slowing to 60 going up every hill (there's a lot of hills here) I'm going to be getting pretty angry and a lot of cars are going to be passing and getting bound up behind them.

If you do it in the right lane, you've got the same problem but with semis.

I'd rather a person do a steady 60MPH instead of 70MPH than speed up and slow down.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:47 PM

D Pope First On Race Day

On a fuel injected motor you can get better mileage on cruise. The computer sets the system a bit leaner because there are no unexpected power or fuel demands.
472 w/toploader 4 speed OD
Performer RPM w/Holley 3 barrel
Isky 304 degree solid cam
Narrowed 3.25 9.5 inch with Detroit Locker
Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 PM

What you describe is when I first started to do aroud 40 years ago and took it up a notch.

Do it right and you still maintain a steady speed I find the only people usally up set are blonds doing 90 or better in SUVs. Then there are the ones that get in the passing lane and do under the limit and wont move over ever. Then the ones that slow down to pass or afraid to pass a semi. The semi that pulls out a few inches infront of you to pass. The guy weaving in and out of traffic reclessly. The guy that passes you then slows down or the ones that speed up as you pass. Some of them I speed up slowly to see how far over the limit they will go before the realize there going 30 over the limit or more. I spend a lot of time reading traffic so as not to interfere with others. How about the ones that flip open there cell phone and slow down or can be seen texting.
Most of the time if vehicles are backed up behind me so am I
Old 05-22-2012, 08:11 PM

Hoggy First On Race Day

I wonder if narowing the runners in the intake would speed up velocity making smaller carburetors more effective. I have seen heads that had been reshaped with some kind of filler in the runners. This of course wil make an engine peak at a low RPM. It always seemed to me the intake ports are huge on these engines. How do you maximise volumetric efficiency to the weight and engine speed of a given combination?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:51 PM

cadunkle Driving a Ford
Send a message via ICQ to cadunkle Send a message via AIM to cadunkle Send a message via Yahoo to cadunkle

Sounds like you're doing pretty good on MPG already, around town anyhow. For comparison my '86 Supercab lifted on 35" tires with 3.55:1 gears and ZF5 (~2000 RPM at 70 MPH) gets about 12.5 MPG unloaded highway at 70-75 and 10.8 MPH highway pulling 5500 lbs at 65-70. Truck weighs in around 6000 lbs with two full tanks and myself. Around town and mixed I've seen as low as 7 MPG. Depends on how much I drive and how much around town towing is thrown in.

Comes to about 6 GPH towing, which interestingly enough is what my boat burns while wakeboarding at 21 MPH tipping the scales at 5000+ lbs how I ride (ballast). Boat has a 454 with an 800 DP, truck a 460 with a 750 DP. Just thought that was interesting.

When my '86 was bone stock height and bone stock 351w with a C6 it could squeeze about 16-17 MPG highway at 70-75. I believe a stock height truck with a 460 and a ZF5 should be able to do the same.

If you want more MPG you need to increase compression and get the RPM down on the highway if highway MPG is what you're after. Big block around town MPG will always suck, nothing you can do about it. Getting a 6000 lbs truck rolling takes a lot of fuel. Those 4.10 gears probably help around town but kill the highway MPG. Does this thing have a C6 or E4OD? What is your highway RPM at what MPH?

I don't know much about fuel injection aside from that I won't drive anything with it, but compression and lower RPM will help so long as you stay out of detonation. Some exhaust porting and headers will likely give some gains too.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:22 AM

Kto17 First On Race Day

E4OD and I think it's about 1950 rpms at 70mph. Taking a 6 hour trip tomorrow, all highway. I insulated the intake tubes and box, replace the coil, and dropped in a K&N type air filter.

It's running about 11* timing and I wanted to push it up to about 13*, but the damn distributor is stuck! I didn't have much time to mess with it and didn't want to break it being in a hurry, so I just left it and tightened it back down.

Any advice on getting the distributor loose without breaking it?

1993 Bronco XLT 351
1965 Buick Riviera 401
1963 Shasta Astrodome
Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 AM

Spray around the base with liquid wrench , PB Blaster let it soak.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Pope View Post
On a fuel injected motor you can get better mileage on cruise. The computer sets the system a bit leaner because there are no unexpected power or fuel demands.
I have beat cruse fuel consumption on my injected engine too. The injection though if it has fuel shut off during coasting it is an advantage over a carb but not always.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:05 AM

I am pushing 6 to 8 MPG in town now. Stop and go driving wit ha 460 one situation needing to press the pedel a bit realy sucks fuel have done as good as 9.5 but rare. Truck weight 5800 to 6000 lbs dually 4.10 gears empty loaded with trailer empty or loaded with 6000 or so lbs a ton in the bed now between 10 and 11 high way. crusing close to 75.

All my vehicles have a record of miles, economy, conditions, were driven to from, changes that affect performance at each fill up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.