How do you get the oil pump drive to slide into distributor shaft? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:36 PM

4604X4 Driving a Ford
Default How do you get the oil pump drive to slide into distributor shaft?

Any tricks or gadgets to help get the oil pump drive shaft to fit into the distributor when installing the distributor? Surely you guys see this from time-to-time.

I'm just fininshing my cam swap and got to the point where I was reinstalling the distributor. I tried many times to seat the distributor but I could not get the oil pump drive shaft to go into the distrubtor. I tried turning the oil drive shaft a little, and the "turn and slam" method, and moviong a gear tooth either direction, but the problem is that the oil pump drive shaft lays aginst the side of the engine housing/boss (it doesn't sit stright up) so the edge of the distributor shaft hits the top of the oil pump shaft and it won't go inside.

Okay so I got it in in (this is going to sound crazy) but I had to wad up a little piece of bread (sandwich bread) and stuff it in the hole to keep the oil pump shaft sitting straight up. Once I did that the distributor slide right into place. First try.

But this shouldn't happen. I have the star washer/retianer on the shaft so it can (edit: should say CAN'T) be pulled out of the oil pump when removing the distributor. The oil pump drive shaft is a "mtorsports perfomance shaft" and the distributor is a MSD billet.

Last edited by 4604X4; 07-16-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 07:05 PM

White Lightning First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4604X4 View Post
Any tricks or gadgets to help get the oil pump drive shaft to fit into the distributor when installing the distributor? Surely you guys see this from time-to-time.

I'm just fininshing my cam swap and got to the point where I was reinstalling the distributor. I tried many times to seat the distributor but I could not get the oil pump drive shaft to go into the distrubtor. I tried turning the oil drive shaft a little, and the "turn and slam" method, and moviong a gear tooth either direction, but the problem is that the oil pump drive shaft lays aginst the side of the engine housing/boss (it doesn't sit stright up) so the edge of the distributor shaft hits the top of the oil pump shaft and it won't go inside.

Okay so I got it in in (this is going to sound crazy) but I had to wad up a little piece of bread (sandwich bread) and stuff it in the hole to keep the oil pump shaft sitting straight up. Once I did that the distributor slide right into place. First try.

But this shouldn't happen. I have the star washer/retianer on the shaft so it can be pulled out of the oil pump when removing the distributor. The oil pump drive shaft is a "mtorsports perfomance shaft" and the distributor is a MSD billet.
Can or can't??? The star retainer goes on the pump side of the block boss so that the pump rod DOESN'T get pulled out of the pump and fall into the pan. FYI, a little heavy wheel bearing grease around the shaft will hold it in position in the future. You'd better get that bread washed out of there before it gets circulated around in the engine........
Rob
Old 07-14-2012, 07:53 PM

DaveMcLain Driving a Ford

Be careful when you take the distributor out the next time because it's VERY EASY for the pump driveshaft to stick inside of the distributor just long enough to pull out of the pump and then fall into the oil pan. That's the purpose of the star washer but with that said it can't really hurt anything if it's in the engine the other way once it's all together. I don't think that the bread will hurt anything really.

I've taken a new driveshaft and particularly if it's an MSD one that's ery blunt on the end and ground it to be more pointy and cone shaped on the end which goes into the distributor.

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
Old 07-14-2012, 08:51 PM

rmcomprandy Bleeding Blue

The top of an OEM oil pump shaft is pointed so it will center itself.
The main problem is that there are 15 teeth on a distributor gear and only 6 sides on the oil pump drive shaft.
Insert the distributor close to the needed position untill the drive gear engages the camshaft gear. Unless you are real lucky it will go only about half way down. Now "hand" rotate the engine from the front until the hex inside the distributor shaft will engage the drive shaft and it will drop down the rest of the way.

You MAY need to do this a few times to get the distributor exactly where you want it to be clocked.

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
Old 07-15-2012, 12:04 AM

Money-pit Driving a Ford

I always adjust the position of the star washer on any driveshaft I put in. From the factory they never seem to be where I want them.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:23 AM

gregaust Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money-pit View Post
I always adjust the position of the star washer on any driveshaft I put in. From the factory they never seem to be where I want them.
An absolute must so i know that shaft is staying put..
Old 07-15-2012, 05:52 AM

4604X4 Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
Can or can't??? The star retainer goes on the pump side of the block boss so that the pump rod DOESN'T get pulled out of the pump and fall into the pan.
Rob
Typo - the star washer is in the correct place so the shaft CAN'T be pulled out with distributor removal (but it doesn't help tp hold to shaft straight up). Your grease idea is good.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:27 PM

cletus66 Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcLain View Post
Be careful when you take the distributor out the next time because it's VERY EASY for the pump driveshaft to stick inside of the distributor just long enough to pull out of the pump and then fall into the oil pan. That's the purpose of the star washer but with that said it can't really hurt anything if it's in the engine the other way once it's all together. I don't think that the bread will hurt anything really.

I've taken a new driveshaft and particularly if it's an MSD one that's ery blunt on the end and ground it to be more pointy and cone shaped on the end which goes into the distributor.

I took a 390 apart once, and it had 3 of 'em in the pan.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
Old 07-15-2012, 05:47 PM

BBFmavrick Bleeding Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus66 View Post
I took a 390 apart once, and it had 3 of 'em in the pan.
That one made me smile. Nothin wrong w/knowing where a few extra's are stashed.

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.