Guns - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Non-Tech Topics > Chilly's Garage

Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:29 PM

D Pope First On Race Day

While I agree with the idea of a person being able to defend himself and his loved ones with a handgun or rifle, I have a hard time believing the bad guys are going to broadcast their evil intent early enough for you to go and unlock your .45, remove the trigger lock, and then remember where you stashed the clip and ammo. If a home protection device, be it a Glock or a baseball bat, is not immediately ready to hand, it is useless.
Train your children to leave dangerous things alone. You don't lock up the stove for fear they will burn themselves, do you?
I, and my brothers, were around guns from birth, and never even heard of an incident where a child was injured handling a gun. We knew better!
472 w/toploader 4 speed OD
Performer RPM w/Holley 3 barrel
Isky 304 degree solid cam
Narrowed 3.25 9.5 inch with Detroit Locker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 PM

Jake First On Race Day

I do agree with what you are saying. In my case, they are all in close proximity of each other (gun, clips, key), and the clips are already loaded. If my kids dug around enough, they'd find the key and the clips, I guess.. It's just a little extra piece of mind. This is something I've wrestled with, though. I also have to be cautious because they have friends over.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 PM

Dman64 First On Race Day

You guys all make great points, I don't think there is any real solution to it, if someone wants to kill a bunch of people they will do it wether it is a hand gun or semi automatic gun. I wonder where that is going to leave us in the end. Should we be parenting better, should we be more loving and understanding and accepting? It is still going to happen? Unfortunately I think people will still go physco and do terrible things, bottom line is do the best you can and make a difference in the world for the good and that is all we can do.

D

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
1964 F100 466 zero decked fuelie 7cc dish pistons, with RHP 2.11 1.65 budget D3 heads, Voodoo cam 219/227, rpm intake, Holley Terminator EFI, MSD Ignition, MSD FORD TFI Distrbutor, 4R70W Trans with Baumann Re-cal kit, US Shift electronic Trans controller with B&M Megashifter, 2500 Dirty Dog Convertor, 3.50 gears with detroit locker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36499599@N04/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbl-v...3&feature=plcp
Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 PM

Jake First On Race Day

YUP!!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:57 PM

D Pope First On Race Day

When I was about 10 years old Dad would buy my two brothers and I a brick of 500 22 shells and we would go plinking around the farm for summer entertainment. When you hit a gopher and split it open you know what a gun can do so you be careful where you're pointing it. Shooting becomes part of your way of life. No one was ever hurt and only a few windows got broken. My daughter started shooting 22s when she was 8 and is an excellent shot. Having guns and ammo loose around the house isn't an issue since everyone is an expert in the field.
I'm an avid hunter and have 15 record book size deer heads that I've shot. If I had my 7mm Magnum handy and some disturbed armed individual was coming towards me to do dastardly deeds I could put a stop to it at 800 yards with no problem. That's just the way it is when you have lots of experience. I'm just glad I live in Canada and don't run into these circumstances very often.
I did have a murderer in my yard once but there were 25 cop cars in the vicinity so he just kept going in the dark. They arrested him about 20 miles later.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:41 PM

Rampage815 Driving a Ford

The supposed Assault type weapon covers way too much ground. I have a WW11 Japanese Arista rifle that my Grandfather brought home from the war it has been in my family for 60 years. I also have a Bolt action rifle from WW1. Both are Assault weapons and may have been used to actually kill someone both are still able to be shot and I have ammo for them. A lady friend of my daughter says I am a criminal for owning such weapons. My guns are stored properly as is the ammo my family has been taught the proper way to handle and shoot them. Why do I need to give up family heirlooms and such because some nutcase illegally gets a weapon and does bad things ?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:26 AM

scumdog Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage815 View Post
The supposed Assault type weapon covers way too much ground. I have a WW11 Japanese Arista rifle that my Grandfather brought home from the war it has been in my family for 60 years. I also have a Bolt action rifle from WW1. Both are Assault weapons and may have been used to actually kill someone both are still able to be shot and I have ammo for them. A lady friend of my daughter says I am a criminal for owning such weapons. My guns are stored properly as is the ammo my family has been taught the proper way to handle and shoot them. Why do I need to give up family heirlooms and such because some nutcase illegally gets a weapon and does bad things ?
I think you need to Goggle and Wikipedia 'Assault rifle'.

Your fine old weapons are no way 'assault weapons', rest assured of that.

Unless some dip-**** anti-gun wing-ding decides it would be trendy to call them that.

And that 'lady friend' of your daughters needs to learn some facts, she's a paranoid hysterical over-reacting dizzy-lizzy IMHO.

'70 429
Isky 270 cam
Roller-rockers etc
Torker & 780 Holley
Headers
Petronics and Mallory ignition.
Shift-kitted C6
2.75 4-spider 9"
All in '55 F100
Top speed: 131mph
Best e.t.: 13.93
Old 01-12-2013, 04:34 AM

scumdog Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Pope View Post
When I was about 10 years old Dad would buy my two brothers and I a brick of 500 22 shells and we would go plinking around the farm for summer entertainment. When you hit a gopher and split it open you know what a gun can do so you be careful where you're pointing it. Shooting becomes part of your way of life. No one was ever hurt and only a few windows got broken. My daughter started shooting 22s when she was 8 and is an excellent shot. Having guns and ammo loose around the house isn't an issue since everyone is an expert in the field.
I.
I was just like you, everything was A-OK since my boys were always around when I had my guns out.

Then one day their little friends were around for a birthday party, hoo-boy, did they react when I had a rifle out - these poor kids weren't allowed near guns at home, not even toy ones - so guess what really fascinated them - and not in a healthy manner?

And I thought "Hmm if kids like that come around when I'm not home and a rifle is settin' around it could cause problems"

Hence why I now have them secured, sanyway, armed intruders in this country are as common as Eskimos in Arizona..

'70 429
Isky 270 cam
Roller-rockers etc
Torker & 780 Holley
Headers
Shift-kitted C6
2.75 4-spider 9"
All in '55 F100
Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 AM

scumdog Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
It came with a trigger lock and it is attached right now. I even keep the ammo in a completely separate location.
Good one - in NZ you HAVE to keep the ammo separate.

'70 429
Isky 270 cam
Roller-rockers etc
Torker & 780 Holley
Headers
Shift-kitted C6
2.75 4-spider 9"
All in '55 F100
Old 01-12-2013, 04:41 AM

Jake First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
I was just like you, everything was A-OK since my boys were always around when I had my guns out.

Then one day their little friends were around for a birthday party, hoo-boy, did they react when I had a rifle out - these poor kids weren't allowed near guns at home, not even toy ones - so guess what really fascinated them - and not in a healthy manner?

And I thought "Hmm if kids like that come around when I'm not home and a rifle is settin' around it could cause problems"

Hence why I now have them secured, sanyway, armed intruders in this country are as common as Eskimos in Arizona..
Yeah...it's too big of a risk, in my opinion. I trust my kids, but I don't know the upbringing of every one of their friends, and some of them I flat out don't trust. Even with my own kids, I have taught them gun safety and I trust them, but they are still kids, very capable of making a poor choice. Not worth the risk to me.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:44 AM

scumdog Driving a Ford

How come we have so many people with common ense and logic on this forum?

Where are all the brainless panicking ninnies that are always so vocal on th eTV and in the newspapers?

Have us Ford guys got it all figured out and a lot of the general population and politicians not???

Just sayin'...

'70 429
Isky 270 cam
Roller-rockers etc
Torker & 780 Holley
Headers
Shift-kitted C6
2.75 4-spider 9"
All in '55 F100
Old 01-12-2013, 05:01 AM

Jake First On Race Day

Ha!! We do seem to be a different breed. I'm also a member of an import forum with a bunch of dumbass punk kids. This would have been locked immediately. I'm new here (sort of), but really impressed so far. The muscle crowd is soooo different. I enjoy it.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:41 AM

Rampage815 Driving a Ford

Quote:
I think you need to Goggle and Wikipedia 'Assault rifle'.

Your fine old weapons are no way 'assault weapons', rest assured of that.

Unless some dip-**** anti-gun wing-ding decides it would be trendy to call them that.

And that 'lady friend' of your daughters needs to learn some facts, she's a paranoid hysterical over-reacting dizzy-lizzy IMHO.
Yes you are right they are antique collectors items. I know that and you know that but because they were once used by military men some idiots will and do consider them "Assault weapons" Some of the supposed Assault weapons have the look of military weapons but are used by no military in the world also fall under this category
Old 01-12-2013, 08:48 AM

MrScharfenberger First On Race Day

Quote:
How come we have so many people with common ense and logic on this forum?

Where are all the brainless panicking ninnies that are always so vocal on th eTV and in the newspapers?

Have us Ford guys got it all figured out and a lot of the general population and politicians not???

Just sayin'...
They are all over on the Toyota Prius forum...
Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 AM

D Pope First On Race Day

The Toyota Prius forum is a good place for them to stay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.