Buying from someone--getting ripped off - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Full Race Tech > Race Talk

Race Talk Tech and Non Tech Discussion

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:20 PM

gordyd4 First On Race Day
Default Buying from someone--getting ripped off

I recently bought a very expensive item over the internet; while waiting for my engine parts, I have had nightmares running through my head about worst case scenarios. The guys I'm buying from seem like really good guys, and know in my gut, there won't be any issues, but my paranoia still had me checking things out.

I was reading on another forum about this Internet crime div, based off the FBI.

If you pay for an item and the transaction was fraudulent, there is a Internet crime complaint center where one can report the crime.

http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Also, if you pay through the US postal service and the person taking your money was fraudulent, it now becomes a felony because the US post office laws being violated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 PM

BOSS 429 Driving a Ford

GOOD INFO
BUY,SELL,TRADE BIG BLOCK FORD parts

CLYINDER HEAD PORTING
COMPLETE ENGINES
STROKERS TO STOCK SCJ TO BOSS 429'S
632 557 532 598CI ETC
READY TO RUN OR DYNOED
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 PM

Dman64 First On Race Day

I prefer to pay with MasterCard then I have actually had them give me my money back because the guy couldn't prove he shipped it, and I was about 3 to 4 months from when I bought it. It wasn't a lot but it was nice to get my money back.

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
1964 F100 466 zero decked fuelie 7cc dish pistons, with RHP 2.11 1.65 budget D3 heads, Voodoo cam 219/227, rpm intake, Holley Terminator EFI, MSD Ignition, MSD FORD TFI Distrbutor, 4R70W Trans with Baumann Re-cal kit, US Shift electronic Trans controller with B&M Megashifter, 2500 Dirty Dog Convertor, 3.50 gears with detroit locker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36499599@N04/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbl-v...3&feature=plcp
Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 PM

747JETMECH Driving a Ford
Default Credit Card

I purchased some Boss 429 heads from a con artist in Australia. I used a visa card to pay for things. I was told they were going to be shipped via airmail. When nothing came in the mail after 2 weeks, I had the same feeling ( pit in my gut ). 6 weeks later the heads showed up. They were shipped via a boat. When I opened the box up the heads were junk, welded up pieces of garbage. Several weeks of bickering back and forth with this guy, I called visa. Told them what happened. They took my info and the contacted the person who did the transaction. The speed shop in Australia that did the transaction was a friend of the seller ( I think his name was Drew? ) . He was given a choice to refund my money or Visa would take it back. He ignored Visa and they took the money. They asked me what was a fair value of what I had received. They paid me the difference...........

A year later, the guy contacts me and wants his **** back. I told him take it up with Visa. I did return one of the junk heads back to him as it was garbage anyway. His friend up in Orgeon has a mad max car and was involved in some way... These guys went as far as calling my neighbor and harrassing them.

Glad the bull**** is over. I feel he picked the slowest shipping method possible so I would have a hard time getting my money back. Visa told me the clock does not start until you recieve the goods...

Thank You Visa...
Old 01-01-2014, 12:26 AM

Mike R Driving a Ford

Good information
Old 01-17-2014, 09:07 AM

Former429 First On Race Day

I know it seems like Paypal is a bad thing to a lot of people on here, but it does provide you with Buyer Protection and you are far less likely to get ripped off by someone. In the early years of Paypal, it was easier to still rip people off, but now it is pretty hard, since your Paypal account is linked to your bank account and credit card. If you intend to rip someone off, you don't use Paypal. I have been paying with Paypal for over a decade and have made thousands of transactions and not had a single problem.

When I was a member of Network54 around 2002/2003/2004, we bought and sold BBF/Boss 429 things and there were some tense moments for me due to money order transactions (like waiting 3 months for a certain someone to ship a pair of Boss 429 heads). Now, 10 years later, you should be using Paypal, but I realize some people think they are staying "off the grid" so the government or whatever can't see their money (too late).

I get frustrated when people say they are sending a money order. It is so dangerous to do that and it takes forever. For example, if you want something I have for sale and pay me with Paypal, I can ship that item 2-Day Priority and you get it in 2 days! But a lot of folks pay with money orders that they have to buy the next day, mail the money order which takes 2, 3, 4 days to get to me, then I have to wait to deposit it in the bank the next day and it will take 2 or 3 days to clear, then I will ship your part. That is probably a week and a half before you get your part! Plus, if I am a dishonest person, I can just take the money order and not send the part. I don't get it.

Last edited by Former429; 01-17-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:19 PM

Fordmanmatt First On Race Day
Garage

What about the craigslist scam if you try to sell something like a car or item on there a person will email or call you and say they want the vehicle or item and tell you they are paying with a cashiers check they send you the cashiers check and a transport company or ups shows up to get the car or item or what ever right after you get the cashiers check and then your bank calls you 2 weeks later to tell you the cashiers check was fraudulent its a fake!!! Gotta watch that S#%& crooks will try anything
Old 01-24-2014, 07:34 PM

yellowhorse7 First On Race Day

Never had an issue with PayPal and I've sold thousands of dollars.

Circle R Performance
Team Z
Ultimate Converters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.