TNT Egineering 545ci 460 Ford Engines - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:32 AM

bajarick First On Race Day
Garage
Default TNT Egineering 545ci 460 Ford Engines

Hello,

Has anyone ever bought anything from TNT Engineering on Ebay?

They are located in Leesport, PA.

They are selling a custom built, pump gas 545 ci., 650 horsepower, 460 based street engine that comes complete form oil pan to carb, roller cam, and has John Kaase P-51 aluminum heads for $11,495.

I checked the price of all the parts and it would take about $9,000 bucks to do it myself, but I am willing to let someone else build the motor.

Again has anyone had an experience with these guys ...good or bad?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 11:08 PM

Vandy Driving a Ford
Default dream adds

Most of the Ebay sellers are fishing for dreamers. They do not have the motor in stock. They advertise a motor that they may have built for a customer at one time. Then using the info gained from the build, they try to troll for more customers. Some people end up OK, others end up with nothing. I build motors for export and get customers all the time who received nothing for their money and I have to sell them a real motor at a real price, not the fake they thought they bought and paid for.
When ordering a motor like this, I would suggest buying a plane ticket and fly in and pick it up personally. If they don't have it in stock and don't have the funds to build it (without using your $), they should not be advertising it.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 PM

bob460 First On Race Day

Did you notice it has "hydraulic roller" which will cause you problems.

Best thing to do is get with a builder on this site, that way you wont get taken for ride, Plus they build some of the toughest engines going around.

Cheers, Bob
Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 PM

79-6.9 Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob460 View Post
Did you notice it has "hydraulic roller" which will cause you problems.

Best thing to do is get with a builder on this site, that way you wont get taken for ride, Plus they build some of the toughest engines going around.

Cheers, Bob
X3, Vandy has pretty much summed it up and the "hydraulic roller" is a dead giveaway. I have never seen any regrets come from purchasing a site member/builder built engine. These guys know every aspect of the BBF and if they didn't....those here that do would quickly call them out and run them off. My little 550 HP D3 headed 508 built by rmcomprandy has put countless Ebay/other "builders" 650-700 HP builds on the trailer.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 AM

rmcomprandy Bleeding Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
Most of the Ebay sellers are fishing for dreamers. They do not have the motor in stock. They advertise a motor that they may have built for a customer at one time. Then using the info gained from the build, they try to troll for more customers. Some people end up OK, others end up with nothing. I build motors for export and get customers all the time who received nothing for their money and I have to sell them a real motor at a real price, not the fake they thought they bought and paid for.
When ordering a motor like this, I would suggest buying a plane ticket and fly in and pick it up personally. If they don't have it in stock and don't have the funds to build it (without using your $), they should not be advertising it.
I don't believe that is entirely true.
I advertise a few engines on Ebay, they are not built at this time but, I DO have all the parts to build it exactly THAT way at short notice if needed. When offering a few options, it is next to impossible to have every combination on the shelf.

I realize there are "not so trustworthy" sellers on there however, not EVERYONE should be painted with that wide brush.

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting
Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 AM

2slow Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcomprandy View Post
I advertise a few engines on Ebay, they are not built at this time but, I DO have all the parts to build it exactly THAT way at short notice if needed. When offering a few options, it is next to impossible to have every combination on the shelf.

I realize there are "not so trustworthy" sellers on there however, not EVERYONE should be painted with that wide brush.
agree it alright to advertise an engine that is'nt built yet.

The But- only if it can be deliverd in a given time
like said, options can change the specs . but not the completion time unless the buyer is aware of availabilty of parts for option(s)
Old 03-05-2013, 01:58 AM

Vandy Driving a Ford

Quote:

I believe having exactly what you are advertising in stock finished and offering to build a similar motor with various options looks much more professional. It's very easy to put one combination in stock (the one advertised) and offer any combination a customer may want, on order. This is not a personal attack on any one, just my opinion & how I do business.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 AM

rmcomprandy Bleeding Blue

Just before Christmas, I went to buy a new TV set flat screen which was advertised.
The store had only the display model which couldn't be sold and would take my order. This is a well known electronics chain store.
They weren't even going to place their order to the manufacturer until they had an idea of how many to get because of that ad ... that is the way most of this whole country now does business for high priced items.

My engines on Ebay are all disclosed as NOT being together yet.

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting

Last edited by rmcomprandy; 03-05-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 AM

CarsByCarl Driving a Ford

Quote:

X2

For the most part, all my engines are built to customer spec. I advertise combinations that are more or less based on the type of parts (flat tappet, roller, cast, forged, etc.), and the final combination of cam specs, compression, displacement, will be based on the customer's needs.

There are times I will advertise a special engine, and that's usually based on parts I have in stock, but in every case, something gets changed based on the customer's application.

I've been down the road of building complete engines for sale, and don't plan to do it again. Every single customer wants something different. "Oh, that engine would be great, but....if only.....except", leaving the original engine in inventory, while I build something else for the customer.

I also require full payment up front (or in installments as we move from shortblock, to longblock, to complete engine). I'm not going to invest time and money in a custom build, only to have somebody come up short on the money when it's done.....lose their job, wife leaves them, get hit with a bunch of medical bills, whatever.

This is my business model, and it works for me. There's nothing unethical, or deceitful about it. My customers always get more than they paid for.

In response to the OP....I've never heard of TNT, so I can't comment on their quality. I will comment that P-51 heads are the wrong choice for a street oriented pump gas stroker.

Last edited by CarsByCarl; 03-05-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:20 PM

Garage

Wow!

There sure are some strong opinions on buying an engine from an Ebay seller!

Can someone tell me a little more about hydraulic rollers and why P-51 heads are bad for a street pump gas motor?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarick View Post
Wow!

There sure are some strong opinions on buying an engine from an Ebay seller!

Can someone tell me a little more about hydraulic rollers and why P-51 heads are bad for a street pump gas motor?

Thanks
P-51's aren't "bad" for a big inch street motor, there are just better choices that also happen to be less expensive. Namely the FRPP SCJ head. Pretty much the same as the P-51, but with a smaller intake port volume. There are other differences, but they're insignificant relative to this discussion.

Hyd rollers do work, just not as well as other choices. The lifter bodies are taller than any other style, which results in poor valvetrain geometry. Superior performance can be achieved with any other style of cam.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:31 PM

bob460 First On Race Day

On the other engines he sells, the little windsor p-38 stack injection looks UNREAL........Do they make them for p-51 heads?.....wonder how they will work with a big block with p-51 head steet/strip.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:23 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
P-51's aren't "bad" for a big inch street motor, there are just better choices that also happen to be less expensive. Namely the FRPP SCJ head. Pretty much the same as the P-51, but with a smaller intake port volume. There are other differences, but they're insignificant relative to this discussion.

Hyd rollers do work, just not as well as other choices. The lifter bodies are taller than any other style, which results in poor valvetrain geometry. Superior performance can be achieved with any other style of cam.
Carl,

I see you have a nice selection of engines at your website. How much is the 545 version of the Snakebite engine - is it still $9495?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarick View Post
Carl,

I see you have a nice selection of engines at your website. How much is the 545 version of the Snakebite engine - is it still $9495?

Thanks
Yes, same price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.