How do I Determine Pushrod length - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 PM

Colorado Ford man First On Race Day
Default How do I Determine Pushrod length

I have my cam, heads, rockers, studs, guideplates, lifters, and I was planning to determine valve to piston clearance and pushrod length this weekend, I was after any advice on doing this You experts can yield. The build is a 545 D9TEAB block, A429 heads, lightly milled, rather surfaced, DOVE MFG. Roller rockers (1.73 ratio), Comp Cams 274/286 .562/.565 lift 230/236 @ 50 cam, No decking on block, Hyd. Flat tappet cam, And I have never done this before!! I am wondering how do you pressure up the lifters and keep them pressured whle checking pushrod length and also how many cylinders would you guys recommend checking? I am planning an engine to spin not over 6000 rpm and I was going to use 3/8 pushrods. All advice welcome. Thanks. A step by step procedure would help me for now.
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 03:13 AM

gregaust Driving a Ford

The motor needs to be assembled first then figure the length .
There's a lot of online articles show how to .. Here's a quick search

http://www.bing.com/search?q=rocker%...B&PC=WLEM&QS=n
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am afraid I am overthinking this, and i am to a point where the simplest thing has me stumped, How do I pump the lifters up and keep them there while verifying pushrod length? How do I properly check valve to piston clearance without first determining proper pushrod length? Do I put the head on the engine, turn it through and swap pushrods until I have a correct geometry then disassemble it and reassemble it with silly putty AND the correct pushrod length and then turn it through then disassemble and check piston to valve clearance Then order pushrods to fit? I am just not sure about the correct order of the operation and the articles I am finding are very general and don't really tell me what the step by step procedures are, i guess i will have to keep reading.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:12 AM

BlueAngel First On Race Day

What I plan on doing is assembling the heads with the gasket, with the bolts snug (but not tight to specs) and the putty in place, set the adjustable pushrod at 8.55", turn the engine a couple of times, do this for intake, than exhaust on #1. Then, check piston to valve clearance. After that, I will install the heads for good, use a solid lifter to finalize pushrod length, I also bought a 2.50$ hydraulic lifter from summit, I might just fill it with epoxy and set the preload on the plunger and let it dry, I'm going to try both methods. This is my first engine build, so don't take my word for granted, I learned this from searching this site. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 AM

ustahava67 Driving a Ford

The way I do it is I have a solid lifter set (Int. &exh) I set to Zero lash with the head installed Using a old gasket that has been compressed. I do this with light checking springs on the valves. Slowly roll the engine through by hand through the overlap cycle of the cam. I set up a dial indicator and measure the actual P/V clearance. After that is done I remove the rockers and color the top of the valve stems with a sharpie marker, re-install the rockers with adjustable pushrods and roll the engine througfh a couple of full cycles and check the witness mark on the valves. I shoot for the narrowest contact sweep on the valve stem. I don't get too bunched up about where it is on the valve as long as it's reasonable close to the middle 1/3 of the valve stem.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:05 PM

D Pope First On Race Day

I assembled the valves on one cylinder with just the little spring and put on the rockers with the pushrods I had. Then I turned the engine over and pushed on the valve by hand to check the clearance.
472 w/toploader 4 speed OD
Performer RPM w/Holley 3 barrel
Isky 304 degree solid cam
Narrowed 3.25 9.5 inch with Detroit Locker
Old 03-09-2013, 01:54 PM

I got a few pointers on this now, and I need to find a Hyd. lifter and stack some stuff inside to allow for lifter preload then put it in and turn it over to start with. Thanks for the help, I have atleast a direction to go now.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.