Any resonable priced pistons for SCJ heads? - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 PM
CarsByCarl's Avatar
CarsByCarl CarsByCarl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 4,550
CarsByCarl Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem Evans View Post
It'd be just as easy to do a 1/16-1/16-3/16" deal . I fail to see the advantage of the 5/64" package.
The advantage is that stock ring sets are significantly less expensive than 1/16". The guys who want a budget piston don't want to spend $120 on rings.

SCJ 460 pistons for less than $500.00 to use with a stock crank and rods....that's what people want.

imho
__________________
Your one stop shop for BBF engines and parts
Master dealer for Lunati, Diamond, Probe
Warehouse distributor most other speed parts

Last edited by CarsByCarl; 08-29-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17  
Old 05-10-2013, 10:21 PM
dtimmer's Avatar
dtimmer dtimmer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 157
dtimmer Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
The advantage is that stock ring sets are significantly less expensive than 1/16". The guys who want a budget piston don't want to spend $120 on rings.

SCJ 460 pistons and rings for less than $500.00 to use with a stock crank and rods....that's what people want.

imho
Those rings belong in a tractor. Anything you can afford to put a FRRP SCJ head on deserves a decent piston and ring pack.
__________________
-Derik
Visner Engine Development, LLC
616-726-6600
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 05-11-2013, 12:55 AM
68xr7cat 68xr7cat is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX.
Posts: 3,202
68xr7cat Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtimmer View Post
Those rings belong in a tractor. Anything you can afford to put a FRRP SCJ head on deserves a decent piston and ring pack.
X2

IMO ANY performance build that you want a decent forged piston in another $60 for a good set of rings is money well spent not to mention there is a lot more selection in a 1/16-1/16-3/16 ring set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 05-11-2013, 03:32 PM
zephyrbob zephyrbob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,291
zephyrbob Driving a Ford
Default

okay might as well go for it....ban me or what ever. you guys with your sky is the limit and your expensive part stuff or nothing is all crap. how many of you guys actually live on a working mans income? do you have a car that you scrounged for? some that offer advice don't seem to even have a car, guys that sell stuff, you got a car? did you personally build it or did the people working in your place of business do it for you? ,,,bob

as pointed out before I am not of your caliber, and glad for it....
__________________
scouts, and zephies rule 12.3 109 corrected using dragtimes calcul

Last edited by zephyrbob; 05-11-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 05-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Lem Evans Lem Evans is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Livermore Ky
Posts: 8,035
Lem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue PathLem Evans Walks on the Blue Path
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
The advantage is that stock ring sets are significantly less expensive than 1/16". The guys who want a budget piston don't want to spend $120 on rings.

SCJ 460 pistons and rings for less than $500.00 to use with a stock crank and rods....that's what people want.

imho
Carl, check out PBM performance products' 1/16-1/16-3/16 private label ring sets. They have a street price under $100....how much under depends if they are standard gap or file fit sets. I used them in my 547" SCJ headed engine and I'm happy with the results.
Probe flat tops for a 4.400" bore......



__________________
B F Evans Race Parts
270-278-2376
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Imtruckinup Imtruckinup is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern maryland
Posts: 465
Imtruckinup First On Race Day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrbob View Post
okay might as well go for it....ban me or what ever. you guys with your sky is the limit and your expensive part stuff or nothing is all crap. how many of you guys actually live on a working mans income? do you have a car that you scrounged for? some that offer advice don't seem to even have a car, guys that sell stuff, you got a car? did you personally build it or did the people working in your place of business do it for you? ,,,bob

as pointed out before I am not of your caliber, and glad for it....
To clear this up , I'm not trying to start a fight in either direction... I do to a point agree with you zepher....some of the builders have alot higher budget on their projects... But you also have to remember. Without their "money,time,and Dedication" alot of us including me wouldn't know have the things that we do..they have had the experience/trial and error to halfway guide us.... Yes, some may get a little flustered when Divert from what they may suggest... Iam one of them that went my own way even thought I was suggested so Great idea from members on this site...NO DISREPEcT TO THEM... some people are able to put more money into their projects than others....I'm one of the ones on the luckier side... Ill put this out here and ill be wondering what kinda thought will be running through people minds but.... In my motor alone. I have right around $12,000 tied up into this motor for a Measly 6-650 hp.... Yes I know it can be done for half that price... But I also built it so I can upgrade later on ....as I said. I'm lucky. I went into this build with no real budget...but I put some of the pieces together the way I did just to experiment and hopefully help some people out later down the road as to if it works or not. I beefed up parts that I really didn't need to and spent more on sh1t that I could of got away with alot less ..........i guess what im trying to say zephyr.... I don't believe that any of the builders have something against budget builds... I think they feel that something's they may not agree with due to experience with that part or just personal choice.... I'm just saying this in general... But I've seen people skimp in places they should have and it cost em a motor....me personal rings are not a place I wouldnt be shy with money on

Some of you gentleman may be familiar with my build

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162443
__________________
Damn girl... You look better than a new set of mud tires
1993 f350 38's 5 speed. Toy

521 p51 headed pump gas street motor
639 hp at 5600 rpm
670 ft/lbs at 4300 rpm

Last edited by Imtruckinup; 05-12-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 05-12-2013, 07:37 PM
zephyrbob zephyrbob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,291
zephyrbob Driving a Ford
Default

imtruckin, sounds like you have reached a happy medium. thanks for your thoughts, bobn
__________________
scouts, and zephies rule 12.3 109 corrected using dragtimes calcul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 PM
CarsByCarl's Avatar
CarsByCarl CarsByCarl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 4,550
CarsByCarl Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem Evans View Post
Carl, check out PBM performance products' 1/16-1/16-3/16 private label ring sets. They have a street price under $100....how much under depends if they are standard gap or file fit sets. I used them in my 547" SCJ headed engine and I'm happy with the results.
Probe flat tops for a 4.400" bore......
My thinking of a piston similar to the FPS 460 offering is that it'll give guys doing a super budget build, with SCJ heads, and option. Making it 4032, and press fit only will limit the usage to an rpm/power level where 1/16" rings will be of little to no benefit.

The question of a budget SCJ 460 piston continues to come up because SCJ's are the least expensive, non-ProComp, head available. Some guys are bolting them on top of stock blocks and notching the pistons, others are notching rebuilder pistons. There really needs to be an entry level piston for these guys. There are already 2618 alloy pistons with 1/16" ring packs, there's no reason to duplicate them.

At the end of the day, it's up to Mark if he wants to get into this deal, and own a segment of the market with zero competition, or if he wants to be the "cheap version" of a "real piston". Not that I think his pistons are sub-par or anything, but that's how people will see a lower priced version of an already available race piston.

I'm confidant enough in the idea of an SCJ relief, -15cc dish version of the FPS 460 piston that if Mark wants to make them, I'll buy the first run of eighty pistons to test the market (if we can agree on a price point).

__________________
Your one stop shop for BBF engines and parts
Master dealer for Lunati, Diamond, Probe
Warehouse distributor most other speed parts

Last edited by CarsByCarl; 05-12-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 AM
Mark O'Neal Mark O'Neal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Torrance CA
Posts: 768
Mark O'Neal Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
My thinking of a piston similar to the FPS 460 offering is that it'll give guys doing a super budget build, with SCJ heads, and option. Making it 4032, and press fit only will limit the usage to an rpm/power level where 1/16" rings will be of little to no benefit.

The question of a budget SCJ 460 piston continues to come up because SCJ's are the least expensive, non-ProComp, head available. Some guys are bolting them on top of stock blocks and notching the pistons, others are notching rebuilder pistons. There really needs to be an entry level piston for these guys. There are already 2618 alloy pistons with 1/16" ring packs, there's no reason to duplicate them.

At the end of the day, it's up to Mark if he wants to get into this deal, and own a segment of the market with zero competition, or if he wants to be the "cheap version" of a "real piston". Not that I think his pistons are sub-par or anything, but that's how people will see a lower priced version of an already available race piston.

I'm confidant enough in the idea of an SCJ relief, -15cc dish version of the FPS 460 piston that if Mark wants to make them, I'll buy the first run of eighty pistons to test the market (if we can agree on a price point).

Like I always say, never spend ten dollars when ten thousand will do.

I've had the thought, just never enough data to pull the trigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25  
Old 05-13-2013, 01:51 AM
Mark O'Neal Mark O'Neal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Torrance CA
Posts: 768
Mark O'Neal Driving a Ford
Default

Tell you what Carl, I''ll get a number on doing a head plate with the dual valve relief...and we can talk about the rest of it, if you'd like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26  
Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 AM
dtimmer's Avatar
dtimmer dtimmer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 157
dtimmer Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrbob View Post
okay might as well go for it....ban me or what ever. you guys with your sky is the limit and your expensive part stuff or nothing is all crap. how many of you guys actually live on a working mans income? do you have a car that you scrounged for? some that offer advice don't seem to even have a car, guys that sell stuff, you got a car? did you personally build it or did the people working in your place of business do it for you? ,,,bob

as pointed out before I am not of your caliber, and glad for it....

Yes i do have a car. Been scrounging for parts for years flea markets swaps anything to find some decent second hand stuff. All built by me.

My point was that there are so many "cheap" ring packs for under 100 bux, it is rediculous to use a ring pack that is larger and wont do anything but hurt performance. That is all.
__________________
-Derik
Visner Engine Development, LLC
616-726-6600

Last edited by dtimmer; 05-13-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 05-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Duane's Avatar
Duane Duane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 477
Duane Driving a Ford
Default

Some reasons for me being cheap is I have too many hobbies, from fishing to RC car and airplane racing, among other money wasters... I also want a low maintenance deal too, I don't get home from work until 7:00 every night, doesn't leave time for maintenance. That's why i like hyd cams, low horse power, it doesn't break alot behind the flywheel. This car gets double-teched by my daughter each race, so it gets plenty of passes, and I want it to run on 93 pump gas. I already have aftermarket 6.605 rods.

One thing I've also looked at is strokers. When pistons are around $700.00, and a crank needs machined, then all the other related parts purchased, the price really isn't that bad. Then the compression choices are better. I hope this one will make it through the season, then I can decide what to do this winter, may have another choice on pistons by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28  
Old 05-13-2013, 12:01 PM
CarsByCarl's Avatar
CarsByCarl CarsByCarl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 4,550
CarsByCarl Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark O'Neal View Post
Tell you what Carl, I''ll get a number on doing a head plate with the dual valve relief...and we can talk about the rest of it, if you'd like.
That'd be great Mark. I'm sure you have more demands on your time than I do, so give me a call whenever it's convenient for you.

__________________
Your one stop shop for BBF engines and parts
Master dealer for Lunati, Diamond, Probe
Warehouse distributor most other speed parts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 05-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Mark O'Neal Mark O'Neal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Torrance CA
Posts: 768
Mark O'Neal Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
That'd be great Mark. I'm sure you have more demands on your time than I do, so give me a call whenever it's convenient for you.



You don't get me do you.....?..:lol:

I'll call shortly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30  
Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 AM
CarsByCarl's Avatar
CarsByCarl CarsByCarl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 4,550
CarsByCarl Driving a Ford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post
Is there a reasonable priced pistons out there for these heads? I'm not looking to set the world on fire, just a decent bracket set-up, around 10.5 compression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordguy69 View Post
X2 Carl. I'll take two sets of those to go please.
You guys asked for em, we've got em! --> http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166809

__________________
Your one stop shop for BBF engines and parts
Master dealer for Lunati, Diamond, Probe
Warehouse distributor most other speed parts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.