methods of getting out exhaust manifold bolts - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > General Tech

General Tech A place to discuss general tech regarding chassis, transmission, tires, suspension, non-460, etc

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:12 PM

jerad188 First On Race Day
Default methods of getting out exhaust manifold bolts

I have one final bolt to get out of my efi 460... and the previous owner, or who ever tried it, has it so boogered up that it cant be drilled, its in the hole about 3/8 of an inch. not quite enough to thread a 7/16 bolt tapped in there. can i mig weld it shut even though it a cast head, and drill it from scratch? or should i try being delicate with a torch and only melting the remains of the bolt out while trying not to melt the cast...???? i cant go pulling the head off for 1 bolt right now but i would like to do something with it while its apart {i hate the sound of a leaking manifold}

Anyways, how do most dealerships and garages fix broken studs or bolts without removing the head? i have room to drill a hole, but like a said its to messed up to drill right now, thanks
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 09:30 PM

D Pope First On Race Day

It's surprisingly easy to remove a bolt from cast iron with a torch. The bolt will burn away and the cast won't. Try it on an old head first and you'll see what I mean.
472 w/toploader 4 speed OD
Performer RPM w/Holley 3 barrel
Isky 304 degree solid cam
Narrowed 3.25 9.5 inch with Detroit Locker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 PM

bowsher21 First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerad188 View Post
I have one final bolt to get out of my efi 460... and the previous owner, or who ever tried it, has it so boogered up that it cant be drilled, its in the hole about 3/8 of an inch. not quite enough to thread a 7/16 bolt tapped in there. can i mig weld it shut even though it a cast head, and drill it from scratch? or should i try being delicate with a torch and only melting the remains of the bolt out while trying not to melt the cast...???? i cant go pulling the head off for 1 bolt right now but i would like to do something with it while its apart {i hate the sound of a leaking manifold}

Anyways, how do most dealerships and garages fix broken studs or bolts without removing the head? i have room to drill a hole, but like a said its to messed up to drill right now, thanks
If I understand this correctly, you have an exhaust manifold bolt broke off 3/8" below the surface of the head? If you plug weld it closed the mig wire will mix with the cast and get very hard to drill & tap later.
I have used a mig, stick and tig to carefully spot weld "deposit material" on the tip of a broke bolt and build it out of the hole. I then take a clean steel nut and set it over the end of the built out stud and weld it on. Now take a torch and heat around the hole to help release the broke stud. Using a wrench on the nut, try to unscrew it out. It might brake off a few trys but it has worked for me many times more than not.
I have been able to use a torch to remove a broke stud but that process works best if the hole is not blind.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:28 PM

I have done that welding trick before but i think it's to deep and I couldn't get enough penetration without touching the head itself
Old 05-26-2013, 02:47 PM

fasthauler Driving a Ford

Quote:
I have done that welding trick before but i think it's to deep and I couldn't get enough penetration without touching the head itself
I took my heads to a machine shop to get the broken ones out. They took a torch and carefully heated the bolt and as soon as it turned cherry they hit it with a blast of oxygen and it blew the bolt right out. They ran a tap through the hole to clean the threads. I asked them why it didnít hurt the heads and they said it was because they were dissimilar metals. I think I would practice on an old head before I tried it.

77 F250 Hauler
86 T-Bird
Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 PM

Torched them out and tapped. All is well
Old 05-31-2013, 08:20 PM

fasthauler Driving a Ford

Quote:
Torched them out and tapped. All is well
Great News.

77 F250 Hauler
86 T-Bird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.