Drag race transmission. C4 or TH400?? - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Full Race Tech > Driveline

Driveline Transmission, Clutch, Gearing, etc...

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:20 AM

TorinoStyle2 Driving a Ford

Thanks for all the replies!! And just for the record, I am not bashing the valvebody from Frank Merkle as it has worked quite well.
Im going to do some research and check out different pros and cons of each trans. and go from there.
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 09:34 AM

yellowhorse7 First On Race Day

From experience......my c4 would last 20 passes or so behind my 508. Top of the line parts and converter. Car is pretty light too. If you must have 3 gears, put a 400 in it. Fact is most people here don't have the knowledge that Merkle has. His C6 works but you'll be money and more importantly track-time ahead with a glide.

Circle R Performance
Team Z
Ultimate Converters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2013, 07:35 PM

460VEGA Driving a Ford

If you go with the 400 you have to add the cost of adapting it to your car also.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhorse7 View Post
From experience......my c4 would last 20 passes or so behind my 508. Top of the line parts and converter. Car is pretty light too. If you must have 3 gears, put a 400 in it. Fact is most people here don't have the knowledge that Merkle has. His C6 works but you'll be money and more importantly track-time ahead with a glide.
Man, if I could get more than 10 passes out of my C6, I'd be F'n happy.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:15 PM

A70Maverick Driving a Ford

I just switched from a C6 to a glide this spring. My C6 was in my 3,600lb 70Cobra that ran 10.30s for 2 years. Never touched it. Did always flare on the 1-2 shift though. Then went in my Maverick with a freshen, a Merkyl VB, and Sonnax R servo and the recommended E lever. Ran 3 seasons of 9 second passes with no problems. Shifted nice and firm 1-2 and 2-3. Went to the glide for HP and weight savings, but the Maverick is only 2,500lbs. Your car is much heavier. What are you going to gain from a TH400 over a C6? Strength? No. Weight? Not really. A properly built C6 is Just as strong as any TH400. Just build the C6 with he proper parts and you'll be fine. No shifter changing, bellhousings, flexplates, converters, driveshafts...... On and on....
Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorinoStyle2 View Post
Is a C6 cheaper than a TH400??....all the Chevy boys say no, but I have not done comparison shopping yet.
A TH400 has slightly lighter internal parts, right?? Plus it will take the big torque that a C4 wont, correct??

Im kinda leaning towards the TH400.
That's because they are under the misguided conception that Chebbies are cheaper, take a look at the rebuild kits the TH400 is about double, and the TH400 is notorious for having BAD core shift and cracking the cases around the fluid passages towards the back of the case. Of course you can buy an aftermarket case but then more $$$$. The C6 can be made to work just follow Franks instructions on clearances when using his valvebody.

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:48 PM

Damn, you guys are twisting my arm!!
Is there a website or forum that will guide me step by step on how to build the C6 for race duty??
I would like to get the lightweight billet drum this next time around (I think it holds more clutches and steels), and have it fully rollerized, etc.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

bigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBFbigblok86ranger Spreads the gospal of BBF
Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger

Look in the general tech section I made Gregaust and Frank's build up threads stickies. You can have the machine work done yourself and rollerize your own or Jay at Broader can sell you everything already done. One thing I learned that is key, is to follow the directions for clutch pack clearances by whose valvebody you use!!!

I built my trans to Frank's specs and used a TB valvebody from him last year and it worked great. I did lose the front pump gears in mine to some mystery aluminum shavings but everything else was perfect when I pulled it down.

(I had a borrowed valvebody in it) and not sure if the aluminum was already in the valvebody and came loose from a blown sprag previously my converter guy said the sprag in my converter was still perfect.

Hope this don't sound discouraging because like I said everything else is perfect in my trans (I should have pulled the VB apart and cleaned it out as a precaution) matter of fact the only thing being changed is the front pump and it's going back together as it was.

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:25 PM

BBFmavrick Bleeding Blue

I'm gonna twist your arm a little harder. Like has already been said,if you are having that much trouble from your c6,something is bad messed up inside it. As far as t C4 goes w/big power,you will be sorry.thats all I will say on that subject. I have a glide in my car and it works fine,but wmy ole Mav had the C6 in it for 7 yearsw/o rebuild. Toughest tranny there is imo.

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 AM

customblackbird First On Race Day

I love my C6, I built it with all the goodies but I run a transgo modified stock valve body. It handles my 521 without issue but I'm Gona rip it out after only 400 miles to swap to a 2004R GM trans for the overdrive and lockup. I'm looking at $2300 maybe to do the swap, trans will handle 600-650fwhp.

I don't race as much anymore and the C6 with a 3000 stall and no lockup is killing my ability to drive and enjoy the car. C6 has the largest R servos, e lever, aftermarket 5 clutch drums, red alto clutches, wider red alto band and a aluminum deep pan, modified pump and a bunch of upgraded internals from broader performance. Converter is a 3000 stall 10" unit with moly hub and nitrous anti ballooning plate. If your interested...
Old 10-20-2013, 07:22 PM

airford1 First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorinoStyle2 View Post
Damn, you guys are twisting my arm!!
Is there a website or forum that will guide me step by step on how to build the C6 for race duty??
I would like to get the lightweight billet drum this next time around (I think it holds more clutches and steels), and have it fully rollerized, etc.
I know your car we have met at Irwindale and I have to ask you who has been doing your trans. I have found it difficult to find a builder that wants to do the c6. They all want to see you a GM trans. The last two rebuilds got me about 100 passes. PM me with the trans builder so I dont use him. I have my trans out now because of a 2/3 flair and am thinking of rebuilding it myself too.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:10 PM

customblackbird First On Race Day

Idk why u don't just rebuild it yourself. The C6 is the easiest trans I've ever built thus far. It's pretty darn simple if u got a manual and some tools. Just takes a weekend or so if u got the parts and take lots of extra time and breaks

Do it yourself and save the money. If u mess up u can always take it to a builder. Plus if u build it yourself you know what u put into it and u know its all up to spec.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:38 PM

quick 52 First On Race Day

If your going to race $hit is going to brake... But you should be able to get a couple season out of trans... Buy a manual and ask some of the builder on the site ... when I first built mine I took its apart and back together many time learning how to assemble it and pick up some tricks... Imo you can do your trans if you have the time racing can get $$$$$ if you don't do your own work... Main thing is have fun with your hobby
Old 10-25-2013, 02:06 PM

Duane Driving a Ford

I've built my own C4, C6's for years... I only had C6 problems going to the TCI VB, it would burn up the 3rd gear clutches. When I just had the reverse manual in it, it lasted YEARS between problems. Do you really need a brake? I switched to a glide since then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.