OEM R servo - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Full Race Tech > Driveline

Driveline Transmission, Clutch, Gearing, etc...

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:35 PM

501coup First On Race Day
Default OEM R servo

Hey everyone. I just disassembled a c6 from a 72 Lincoln that I'm using as a parts tranny. It has a stock E lever and I think a stock R code servo as well as a 5 clutch drum and 4 pinion planetary. Is the stock "R" code servo pretty much the same as the sonnax and other aftermarket brands? I'm hoping it's one thing less thing I have to buy.

Also I'm thinking of buying the broader 500hp rebuild kit. My SCJ headed 501 should make around 550 fwhp and eventually I'll add a 200-250 shot. Does anybody care to share some tips on what other performance upgrades I will need besides what I got from the Lincoln and what's in the broader kit. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 11:24 AM

customblackbird First On Race Day

The servo should have a code or letter on it to verify that its a R servo. IF it is an R servo then you should not need to buy a new one, they are just newer better looking copies of the originals with the same clamping force etc.

Broader is very good for the parts, hes very knowledgable as I have also gotten a good bit of parts from him to beef up my C6 that was in a lincoln. Mine is very stout though with a billet R servo, E lever, transgo shift kit and full Red alto clutches (max clutch pack sizes IE 5 clutch drums, all the internal upgrades and rollerized #9 bearing). Also sports pump mods for max cooling and a cast aluminum deep pan and has been converted to the more desireable short tail style. Mines behind me 550fwhp 521 BBF and has a 100-250 shot of NOS. Also has a 3000 stall 10" beefed up converter with Nitrous anti-ballooning plates and all the other goodies.

Only reason im saying all this is that Im prob going to be putting mine up for sale soon as I really want to go with a OD trans for more highway driving as I dont race really anymore. If you dont need the trans at this moment I should be pulling it by the end of sept in which case I would sell the whole thing whole with converter if your interested. This trans is setup for 800hp easily.

If not broader is good to work with!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:32 PM

501coup First On Race Day

Thanks for answering the question it is an R code servo, so I'm all set. If I hadn't already bought a core I would be all over that trans, it's exactly what I plan to build. I doubt you'll have trouble selling it. Why not just throw a gear vendors unit on your existing trans? Wouldn't that be simpler than replacing the whole thing
Old 08-10-2013, 08:04 PM

customblackbird First On Race Day

Gear vendors cost about as much as a new trans setup. 2800$ and you need to disassemble the trans completely to remove the output shaft with the GV unit. After all said is done you still don't have a lockup converter which is a major difference. My 3000 stall is exactly where it's at 60mph basically right on the stall, 3k at 60 mph with a 521 sucking premium down to the tune of like 4mpg is not fun! gear vendors unit is only .78 overdrive and my trans will still stall at 3k but at more like 70mph.

A 700r4 with lockup gives me .70 overdrive and will turn like 2k at 65/70mph and really lower my trans temps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.