My 460 Torino conversion - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:49 PM

ag460torino First On Race Day
Default My 460 Torino conversion

Lately I have been asking for some input on cams and such for my 68 Torino w/460 .030 over. The cam was unanimously considered the MAJOR downfall of my engine combo. Barely larger than stock, 471 lift, hydraulic flat tappet while rest of it was forged dished pistons with valve reliefs, steel crank double keyed for blower and HD ford rods. Energizer roller rockers pushing stock springs. Heads had Manley race duty valves oversized and as far as I could tell the ports had been worked. 6-71 blower pushing 5-7 lbs boost @ 10% under, dual 750 doms.

The rest of the car is full tube chassis, alum interior, full double dragster roll cage, P/G trans w/brake, 9" with strange everything and 33" slicks. Weight was 3,200 without me.

Problem was, no matter how good it wanted to light the tires or how fast it would rev. It left the line like a dog with an even 12 sec pass being its best after 7 passes. Note: I bought the car as it was and it had never been on the road, let alone the track.

So here is the new set up and you can see some before and after pics on my profile page. Until I learn how to post them on here.

Tore down to long block. Cleaning now.

New parts:
Cloyes quick adjust true roller timing set
Crane solid roller, 600 lift w/245 duration @ 50* and 112 lobe separation
Crane Classic mechanical roller lifters
Crane Gold race aluminum wide body rockers
(pushrods to be determined)
Crane dual valve springs w/matching retainers and locks
New valve seals and gasket obviously.

New ENDEREL Birdcatcher injection system complete

Hampton 8-71 Blower

Last edited by ag460torino; 08-16-2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 03:32 PM

68montego First On Race Day

Nice I'm excited to see this thing getting built. I always liked the 68 torinos. Is it a fastback?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-16-2013, 04:14 PM

Yes it is. GT. It was originally a 390 car. Go to my profile and there is a pic of it in my album. I had to delete some pics to add some of the parts swap. I think I am only allowed so many as a non paying member

Someday I will upgrade my membership!
Old 08-17-2013, 10:12 PM

MrScharfenberger First On Race Day

That is going to be a sick looking motor hanging out of the hood. I LOVE IT!!

I can't wait to see what you do with it. I'll be following along for sure. Nice job and COOL car!!
Old 08-17-2013, 10:42 PM

Talking

it's actually going to sit a good 10 inches lower than it did with doms and air cleaners! The air cleaners used to be even with the roof. I definitely like the injection look over the carbs. Just hoping it performs as good as everyone says the mechanical injection will. I'm getting to the fun part... Clean parts and assembly

Will update hopefully daily! I have my daughter this week for the last time before school starts. So I don't want to ignore her on her last week.

What are you working on right now? Any projects going? Any pics of any projects or your ride???? Would love to see them!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag460torino View Post
it's actually going to sit a good 10 inches lower than it did with doms and air cleaners! The air cleaners used to be even with the roof. I definitely like the injection look over the carbs. Just hoping it performs as good as everyone says the mechanical injection will. I'm getting to the fun part... Clean parts and assembly

Will update hopefully daily! I have my daughter this week for the last time before school starts. So I don't want to ignore her on her last week.

What are you working on right now? Any projects going? Any pics of any projects or your ride???? Would love to see them!
I was just checking back in to see the progress. Having the induction setup sit a little lower will probably be best. Got any pic's of a side profile view of the car before you tore into it? I'd like to check it out. Up even with the top of the roof sounds like it was a bit big. What you are doing should be an improvement.

Below is a link to my build thread in this same section. It is a bit of a project but I've been working on it slowly but surely.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157117
Old 08-18-2013, 07:53 PM

to answer your question as to the air cleaner hight/side view I found these 2...

Second one is looking down on it but you will still get the idea, lol

Old 08-18-2013, 09:11 PM

Dude that thing looks sooo awesome!!! Think those carb filters are above the roof line lol.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:03 AM

Yea...... left turns were fine, but right turns were a bitch! Also mad it hard to see the tree when in left lane at track!!! lol
Old 08-19-2013, 06:21 AM

Yeah I always thought about that lol. I bet it is. Well I hope you get it all worked out. That thing is gonna be mean when its all tuned in. I'm excited to see what it really can do for you.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:15 AM

Oh man... I love that thing. It looks fanatstic! My Mustang is cheap and light but your car has character. I'm jealous and I NEED IT!! Can't wait to see a video of it running. Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:14 AM

1972Mach1 First On Race Day

Looking good. Man, that thing is just bad to the bone. Can't wait to see it with the new blower and injection, plus the other updates (camshaft!).

Lucas
Old 08-21-2013, 06:21 PM

White Lightning First On Race Day

Quote:
Well, it's finally going back together!!! So far so good. I had to run to Summit a few more times. Needed a bit longer pushrods and had to go to up to a 3/8 dia to keep rockers centered. I swapped the timing set I just bought for a Cloyes adjustable (at the cam) set. I ran into a little trouble swapping rear springs on heads due to clearance for the tool so I had to get creative. Then I ran into a problem with the rocker studs being too short on the top side and a hair too long in the head. The guide plates were not tight. So those got swapped out too. I also picked up a little something something to help keep the 8-71 blower temps down. You will see it in the pics along with some more notes. Tomorrow I finish valve train and degree the cam in. Then it's all down hill from their right? lol

I think I mentioned that the Hampton intake and blower sat back too far. If I mounted the intake backwards it could work except all the holes for the blower are gone. I was going to do some research for adapter plates to turn a blower around on an intake but am running out of time and patience, WhiteLightning said he might do some looking to see what he can find just as long as I repay his kindness in the way of my extra blower how can you say no to a nice guy like that! Plus he has also been very helpful with his knowledge and suggestions. For that I am truly thankful. And the same goes to all the others who have offered up their time, knowledge and input!!! Thank You!!!
LOLOLOLOLOLOL. I keep tryin' to tell everyone that I'm such a nice guy that they should give me presents.........but so far it hasn't worked! lol
Rob
Old 08-21-2013, 06:24 PM

White Lightning First On Race Day

Auggie, as a general rule, the major santioning groups won't let you run juice with a forced induction. Have you checked into that? Not to mention that means that your bottom end will REALLY have to be up to snuff.
Rob
Old 08-21-2013, 06:45 PM

1972Mach1 First On Race Day

Quote:
Well, it's finally going back together!!! So far so good. I had to run to Summit a few more times. Needed a bit longer pushrods and had to go to up to a 3/8 dia to keep rockers centered. I swapped the timing set I just bought for a Cloyes adjustable (at the cam) set. I ran into a little trouble swapping rear springs on heads due to clearance for the tool so I had to get creative. Then I ran into a problem with the rocker studs being too short on the top side and a hair too long in the head. The guide plates were not tight. So those got swapped out too. I also picked up a little something something to help keep the 8-71 blower temps down. You will see it in the pics along with some more notes. Tomorrow I finish valve train and degree the cam in. Then it's all down hill from their right? lol

I think I mentioned that the Hampton intake and blower sat back too far. If I mounted the intake backwards it could work except all the holes for the blower are gone. I was going to do some research for adapter plates to turn a blower around on an intake but am running out of time and patience, WhiteLightning said he might do some looking to see what he can find just as long as I repay his kindness in the way of my extra blower how can you say no to a nice guy like that! Plus he has also been very helpful with his knowledge and suggestions. For that I am truly thankful. And the same goes to all the others who have offered up their time, knowledge and input!!! Thank You!!!
Never easy, is it? haha.....tell me the blower temp control is nitrous. Please! Tell me it's nitrous!

Lucas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.