intake manifold leak help - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:05 PM

dohcsvt Driving a Ford
Default intake manifold leak help

I have this crate engine http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9289 and recently it developed an intake manifold leak. I mainly use it for cruising around town so I decided to replace the intake gasket with a victor reinz part # 95074sg. I did not use the cork end gaskets that came with it. I wanted to use permatex #2, but o'reilly's did not have that. They did have versa chem Gasket sealant type 2 so I got that (when I opened it I realized it was a black colored sealant?). I disassembled and thoroughly cleaned all surfaces (I noticed that FoMoCo originally assembled this motor with what appears to be clear silicone in place of the end gaskets). Anyway, I re-assembled everything torqued the manifold to 25 lbs/ft in 2 increments and then one last time around to verify torque. By the time I got everything else back on the engine it was about 1.5 to 2 hours later (more than long enough for the sealant to have set up, at least with my experience). Started the engine and all seamed well, let it worm up for a few minutes and all was well. I then blipped the throttle and water started squirting out of the front driver side corner of the manifold where it meets the head and block. Every time I would rev the engine it looked just like a squirt gun. DAMMIT! Does anybody have input as to a different gasket, or sealant or torque to use when I do this again next weekend. Did I not leave the RTV cure long enough? Any help would be appreciated.
Ottis

Last edited by dohcsvt; 09-22-2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 04:38 AM

TommyK Driving a Ford

versa chem Gasket sealant type 2

Superior formula remains soft and pliable to form a leak-proof seal
Slow-drying and flexible setting
Set time: 4 hours; Cure time: 24 hours
Ideal for permanent and semi-permanent assemblies
Seal and repair metal assemblies, new and used gaskets, and more
Old 09-23-2013, 04:57 AM

gregaust Driving a Ford

Those VR gaskets are awesome. Something not right there. Check the bolts are not bottoming out maybe?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:27 AM

dohcsvt Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyK View Post
versa chem Gasket sealant type 2

Superior formula remains soft and pliable to form a leak-proof seal
Slow-drying and flexible setting
Set time: 4 hours; Cure time: 24 hours
Ideal for permanent and semi-permanent assemblies
Seal and repair metal assemblies, new and used gaskets, and more
I just pulled the package out of the trash to re-check what I read yesterday. The set nor cure time are printed on the packaging. I specifically looked for that information. Just figured that the time to assemble the rest would be sufficient then. Thanks for the input, now I know for future reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust View Post
Those VR gaskets are awesome. Something not right there. Check the bolts are not bottoming out maybe?
Yeah, I have read great things about them, guess I will be spending another $32 for another set to re-perform this job next weekend.

Thanks for the input.
Ottis
Old 09-23-2013, 09:03 AM

turbo2256b First On Race Day

I use the black permatex weather strip and gasket adheasive around the water ports and their copper silicone inplace of the end seals. Torked the bolts to 32 lbs (think thats the max).
Old 09-23-2013, 11:10 AM

TommyK Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohcsvt View Post
I just pulled the package out of the trash to re-check what I read yesterday. The set nor cure time are printed on the packaging. I specifically looked for that information. Just figured that the time to assemble the rest would be sufficient then. Thanks for the input, now I know for future reference

Yeah, I have read great things about them, guess I will be spending another $32 for another set to re-perform this job next weekend.

Thanks for the input.
Ottis
I don't have any patience either which is why I use this stuff:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...entifier=34502

Not cheap but it works.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:17 AM

dohcsvt Driving a Ford

Just pulled the intake back off. Approximately 20 to 21 hours after install and all of the sealant is still gooey and sticky. Not set up at all!! I have ordered permatex brand type 2 from amazon. I reviewed their web site data. It also gives 4 hours set and 24 hours cure. I guess I will just put it together one day and then fire it up 2 days later. Hopefully now that I know about the longer cure times it will work better this time. I will probably squirt a big gob onto a shop rag and check it over time and not run the engine until that gob is cured. Any input to my plan would be appreciated.
Ottis
Old 09-23-2013, 11:21 AM

dohcsvt Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyK View Post
I don't have any patience either which is why I use this stuff:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...entifier=34502

Not cheap but it works.
Thanks for the input. I already ordered the other stuff. I know MANY MANY guys use it with great success. I will just be more patient as noted in my previous post

BTW, Tommy...NICE choice of automobile. The subject car that this engine is in is a 1973 Mach1. White with black stripes!. It could use some TLC, but it runs like a raped ape and looks good doing it! Thanks for all of your help.
Ottis
Old 09-23-2013, 11:51 AM

TommyK Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohcsvt View Post
Thanks for the input. I already ordered the other stuff. I know MANY MANY guys use it with great success. I will just be more patient as noted in my previous post

BTW, Tommy...NICE choice of automobile. The subject car that this engine is in is a 1973 Mach1. White with black stripes!. It could use some TLC, but it runs like a raped ape and looks good doing it! Thanks for all of your help.
Ottis
Cool. For all things 71-73 check out this site.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/member.p...r&referrer=135
Old 09-23-2013, 11:10 PM

dohcsvt Driving a Ford

I just got home from work and 32 hours later this stuff is still not set up. When I pulled it off this afternoon and everything was still gooey, I decided to just let cure before trying to clean it off. So I went out tonight to look at it and it still squishy with areas that are still wet/tacky. I am giving thought to just using regular silicone.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:35 AM

ag460torino Bleeding Blue
Default Just an FYI

Just an FYI. I like Loctite products so recently I decided to try their brand of "gasket maker". After doing installation I noticed this red stuff would not dry. I read the package and apparently you put a bead of it on one part and SPRAY AN ACTIVATOR on the adjoining part so that once you put it together the activator (or hardener as it seems to be compared to) mixes with the red loctite and reacts with it to set it up as a gasket making compound.

My mistake for not reading the back. I always used permatex and it was hanging beside it so I thought, what the heck.... MY BAD

Just an FYI for those who haven't run into that problem with the Loctite brand sealers.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:31 PM

cobrajetkid First On Race Day

Permatex - Grey, tried & true. I have NEVER had to go back & re-do. Now that I've said that the next one will leak like a sieve LOL.
Good Luck!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 PM

beaterbike First On Race Day

x2 ultra gray very good sealer .
Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 PM

crittersf1 Driving a Ford
Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1

Clear, 100% silicone in a caulk gun from Lowes.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:18 AM

kjett Driving a Ford

I use the "Right Stuff" on the ends, but don't play around as you got a hot minute to get the intake down and start putting bolts in because that stuff sets up QUICK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.