429 install in 69 Fairlane 500 Fastback - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:23 PM

Bigred69 First On Race Day
Default 429 install in 69 Fairlane 500 Fastback

Been reading some good info here on BBF motors , and I have one on my shop floor right now. A little history on the motor tranny combo. A guy I know locally bought a 72 Torino with 70k miles on it last year. His intentions was to restore the body and make a street cruiser out of it. He also had some Fox body Mustangs and such . Well, he got to looking and discovered the car had been rear ended at some point and it was being held together with sheet metal and bondo. The sub frame bent, and lots of covered up rust. He wound up pulling the motor tranny combo , wrapped it in plastic, and scrapped the car. I bought the combination from him 3 weeks ago, and have it in my shop right now. I have a 69 Fairlane Fastback, and plan to put this combo in soon. The Fairalne had a 351w that also had its problems, along with a problematic SB C6. That whole driveline has since been sold.
My car already has a 9" rear end , so it should be good to go for the BB. My immediate plan is to run this motor stock until it starts giving me obvious signs that it is in need of rebuilding. It. Has the undesirable, D2VE heads , and I plan on changing that set up next year. I ordered the 0* timing chain set up , and a one wire HEI distributor , and plan to recurve it before getting this project. On the road. I will have lots of questions, but will try to listen, and give good answers to you guys so we don't waste a lot of time. My biggest thing right now is to make sure that this sucker will fit into my car. I plan to flatten the shock towers, to give me more room for spark plug changes and such. I will most likely build motor mounts , or do a combo of fabbed, and bought mounts. I have had the motor running on my shop floor and sounds very good. I plan to run the stock intake with a Holley 600 for now. Gonna try to find some 1/2 ton spring for the front to accommodate for the added weight on the front end. Any help with little mods or comment from those who have done this before would help me immensely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 06:35 PM

68montego First On Race Day

Hey there fella welcome to the forum you should check out my build thread. Same engine bay and such as your car. You are going to love having a big block! Summit has some really good heavy duty springs for your car. Thats what I used. And cj pony parts has a big block sway bar kit for you as well . The small block one won't work. Anyway good luck with the build ill be following. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I ran into all the troubles you could think of when doing my car lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-13-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68montego View Post
Hey there fella welcome to the forum you should check out my build thread. Same engine bay and such as your car. You are going to love having a big block! Summit has some really good heavy duty springs for your car. Thats what I used. And cj pony parts has a big block sway bar kit for you as well . The small block one won't work. Anyway good luck with the build ill be following. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I ran into all the troubles you could think of when doing my car lol.

I just read all 23 pages, and yes you did run into some troubles didn't you? I'm going to look closely at those mounts, because I usually build my own as I have done on several other projects. I'm more comfortable messing with a Shovelhead or Evo, but this motor combo will stay together until the motor gets rebuilt next year.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:49 PM

bigblockfairlane First On Race Day
Default carb

While ur looking around for parts need to dump that 600 carb a 750dbl.pumper or 780 will wake it up big time.I`m running a 950hp holley on mine with a few more mods and big gears and motor loves it..
Old 10-14-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockfairlane View Post
While ur looking around for parts need to dump that 600 carb a 750dbl.pumper or 780 will wake it up big time.I`m running a 950hp holley on mine with a few more mods and big gears and motor loves it..
You know, I was thinking that 600 is right on the edge of being too small if I ever do any other mods. Best time would be now . Thanks,
Old 10-14-2013, 05:17 AM

They sell a recurve kit for the distributor I bought. I may need some help getting it right once I get the stuff in next week.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:19 AM

Here is my car it sits now.image.jpg
Well, it sits a little higher now without a power train in it. But there it is.
My plan is to sell the wheels and tires on it now ( new), and put the P71 police crown Vic wheels on it with raised letter tires. All chrome has been stripped off, and I'm going for a lower NASCAR looking stance. Bumpers will be stripped and painted red. I have a powder coat over, that I've already done the front grill in titanium flat silver with black inlay. The windshield and window trim will be powder coated satin black. I'm an airbrush artist, so all name plates will be done in paint on fenders and such. I may go ahead and find the Cobra scoop for the hood ( which will be black also) . Anyone have a set of cop wheels? I heard the crown Vic has the sae wheel just with hubcaps over them.

Last edited by Bigred69; 10-14-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:16 AM

radir68 Driving a Ford

Nice car. Really like the way it sits. Looks like it has the rear tires tucked up in there real nice. Good luck with the build and post some more pics!! Have fun.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:22 AM

Yes I ran into a lot of problems lol. Thankfully it all worked out. If your looking for a cobra hood scoop you can have the one off my wagon. I'm going to make my hood into a cowl induction hood and was going to sell the scoop so if you are interested let me know. Nice car! Sounds like its going to look awesome. I always thought about learning to airbrush. Auggie ag460torino has inspired me to get one of those cars. I found one on craigslist that I want. Its all black with a cobra scoop and in need of some floors but runs and drives.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68montego View Post
Yes I ran into a lot of problems lol. Thankfully it all worked out. If your looking for a cobra hood scoop you can have the one off my wagon. I'm going to make my hood into a cowl induction hood and was going to sell the scoop so if you are interested let me know. Nice car! Sounds like its going to look awesome. I always thought about learning to airbrush. Auggie ag460torino has inspired me to get one of those cars. I found one on craigslist that I want. Its all black with a cobra scoop and in need of some floors but runs and drives.

This body style is getting harder to find these days. I traded for this car . I had an all steel 27 Ford rat rod I got bored with and swapped the guy even for it. Pm me if you have a price in mind for the scooper. Yes, most of all the bikes I've painted we're out of the country. Well, besides a few I built here in the states. I've airbrushed more free hand skulls than Quakers got oats. Hahaha let me know on the scoop , and maybe I can do something cool on an air cleaner or valve covers. I also have a powder coat system and oven.

Last edited by Bigred69; 10-14-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:16 PM

Haha. Have any more pics of the engine and car?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:12 PM

pcdimis First On Race Day

welcome to the forum, other than yours being a fastback we are doing the same build.
68 is right on the sway bar, it wont clear the oil pan, one other thing to watch for is the oil filter, you will need to either run a remote setup or find one that is shorter I think 68 told me he usedone for a dodge truck.
I cant help with mounts as i am using an engine plate but i will tell you that fan to radiator clearance is almost zero so anything you can do to sit the engine back will only help.
Keep at it you will love it when your done.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:27 PM

Hey thanks, yes I plan to get it as far back as possible . I'm not getting the difference in the sway bar though. What is the difference in the one I have and the one you guys are talking about.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:09 PM

pcdimis First On Race Day

if your car was a factory small block car it does not have enough for/aft clearance for the oil pan. The big block bar has an extra kick out to clear everything. look at my build and you will see how close the pump is to the bar..oh my car was a fact 302 car.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdimis View Post
if your car was a factory small block car it does not have enough for/aft clearance for the oil pan. The big block bar has an extra kick out to clear everything. look at my build and you will see how close the pump is to the bar..oh my car was a fact 302 car.
Yep, factory 351w with C6 tranny. I still don't know how you guys mount these motors to where the top two tranny bolts will come out. It looks like they will be slap up against the fire wall. Haha. I am gonna go with an aftermarket radiator using front mounted electric fan on mine. Hopefully that will buy me a little room. It would be nice to see how you guys trimmed your shock towers. I was going to grind the stamped steel part to where the flip out didn't get in the way, then take the that curved piece out or make it flat using 1/4" plate to keep it ridgid. I might even pull the carpet back on the inside ,and get my rose bud and heat the edge of the tunnel and bang it out for a little more room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.