429 install in 69 Fairlane 500 Fastback - Page 3 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:13 PM

pcdimis First On Race Day

before you do that run the test again an make sure the throttle is wide opena and all plugs are out .... compression should be .~40 psi on the first carnk then somwhat lower after ...turn the engine over 3 rounds pers test and see what you have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 08:02 AM

ag460torino Bleeding Blue
Default fairlane..... torino

Love your car!!!! Looks a LOT like my 68 Torino, color and all!!!!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:21 PM

Bigred69 First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred69 View Post
Not good news. I got home today and installed my new distributor and made everything ready for a test crank. Holy cow, a half a turn the motor fired up and idled. Scared us to death, as we weren't expecting it to just pop off. And run like that. Ran it for 20 or 30 seconds and shut it down. Started checking compression, and that's when the bad news started. I checked number 1 cylinder,150lbs. Number 2 115 lbs. number 3 50 lbs, and it went that way all the way around the motor. I poured oil in the cylinders that were low and the compression jumped to 150 lbs. gonna just yank the heads, pull it down, and start a fresh rebuild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag460torino View Post
Love your car!!!! Looks a LOT like my 68 Torino, color and all!!!!
Hell, your car is awesome!!!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:40 PM

ag460torino Bleeding Blue
Default twins

That's the funny part. I would rather see a car like yours unmolested..... then, once they have rotted into the ground or been wrapped around a tree...... cut em up! I would never have taken that Torino from stock to where it is now. I have a 68 GTO that is all original sheet metal, floors and trunk included...... and it's a ragtop to boot! It is by no means a show car but it is original and uncut. I could never take that car and put a tube chassis under it! lol.....

That's why I like yours! And I have taught my son and daughter to appreciate the cars that have survived over a drag car or hot rod..... DON'T GET ME WRONG I love what has now been nicknamed "The Beast" by the forum followers and it is a blast to drive. And by next summer should be a whole different car when the tracks open! And the attention it draws is amazing. But I give credit where credit is due and you have a SWEET RIDE...... Would love to have a pic of the two side by side, lol Did someone mention "photoshop", hahaha

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see that thing sporting some major heavyweight Ford HP!!!!!!!!

I will be keeping tabs
Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 PM

Well, the news is better this evening. I started the motor and let it idle for about. 25 seconds. It is on my shop floor with no water hooked up . Once I felt it was warm enough ,I removed all spark plugs to check compression again. All cylinders were at 150 plus or minus 3-4 psi. One had 145 , but I figured that wouldmt be a problem. I'm going to go ahead and run the motor the way it is for now. I'm gonna look for a 750 Holley to replace the 600 on there now. Buying an intake from another member here, and found some D0VE heads about an hour away ,rebuilt for $250 . Anyone see any problems with that plan?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:03 PM

compression should be ok, you will love the dove heads clean up the exhaust ports to match the gaskets and let her eat!!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:06 PM

what intake are you looking at?
Old 11-04-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdimis View Post
what intake are you looking at?
Edlebrock street master that Ramair has on the auction block. Should work well, and give me a little clearance for my hood . Man, that blew my mind yesterday. I hooked everything up , and hit the switch, and it didn't go a half of a turn then she just popped off and started idling like it had just mad a trip to the store. I did change out the points distributor and installed a HEI one wire . That thing is hot. One more question, the 600 Holley I have is fairly new, so my question is this. Will that set up basically stock run ok for now with the 600 on it?

Last edited by Bigred69; 11-04-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:01 AM

The carb question is a tricky one, someone with more knowledge in this field should chime in shortly but below is what I use to determine if the carb is adequate.
Put a vacuum gage on the intake and see if you have any reading at WOT under load, if the gage is reading vacuum then you probably need to move up a size, if it is zero, pull your plugs and read them then adjust your jet size accordingly.

Again this is my way of doing it, as others will probably have a more accurate method.

The engine should run ok so long as it doesn't lean out, I currently have a 650 on mine and it is basically stock I just moved up the jet size until the plugs looked good and everything else was ok.

Last edited by pcdimis; 11-04-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Re-read the question****
Old 11-04-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdimis View Post
The carb question is a tricky one, someone with more knowledge in this field should chime in shortly but below is what I use to determine if the carb is adequate.
Put a vacuum gage on the intake and see if you have any reading at WOT under load, if the gage is reading vacuum then you probably need to move up a size, if it is zero, pull your plugs and read them then adjust your jet size accordingly.

Again this is my way of doing it, as others will probably have a more accurate method.

The engine should run ok so long as it doesn't lean out, I currently have a 650 on mine and it is basically stock I just moved up the jet size until the plugs looked good and everything else was ok.

Yep, that is why I'm not sure whether to jet the one I have or get a larger one. I have a leak coming from the throttle plate shaft right now that I need to address before actually running the motor in the car. I will most likely keep this carb ,rebuild it ,and go to a slightly larger jet if need be. Then, later I may upgrade if I decide to install a mild cam. On another note, I could not believe how clean it looked under the intake. Looks like a fresh rebuild in there. I thought I would see at least some gunk and residue after 40 years, you know. I believe someone has been into this motor ,strictly because the timing cover was cracked down low. That tells me someone has either replaced the timing chain or had that cover off for some reason. It looked like they forgot to pull the bottom pan bolts before prying on it..hahaha
Old 11-04-2013, 11:58 AM

68montego First On Race Day

I know a couple of people that run 600 cfm carbs on there stock engines. It should be fine. They were only 600 cfm from the factory. I watched ebay and found a 750 holley that was close to me ( in the same town) that I got for $70 because no one bid. The guy had it rebuild and gave me lots of gaskets and seals as extra. Not to bad of a deal and it works great on my 429.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-04-2013, 08:21 PM

BOSS 429 Driving a Ford

my 69 fairlane/torino has a stealth has a spacer with a 4150 carb, fits under stock flat hood

factory 429 w/mounts
BUY,SELL,TRADE BIG BLOCK FORD parts

CLYINDER HEAD PORTING
COMPLETE ENGINES
STROKERS TO STOCK SCJ TO BOSS 429'S
632 557 532 598CI ETC
READY TO RUN OR DYNOED
Old 11-04-2013, 11:57 PM

I had a stealth with a 750 holley and it fit under my stock hood with like 1/8" of clearance. But then again I made my own mounts but my oil pan was a 1/4" off the crossmember.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:35 AM

I just ready n another thread where someone said running Dove heads might be a problem with stock pistons from a 72 with D2VE heads. Am I going to run into problems running that combo?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:05 PM

I don't think there will be a problem. Maybe compression wise but as far as valves hitting I think your good. I'm sure someone will know better than I.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.