need help choosing 460 cam - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Build Archive

Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:37 PM

74Ford466 First On Race Day
Default need help choosing 460 cam

This is my first engine build and is going to be put in a 74 F250 4x4. What i have done already is a 460 done .030 over with new stock style deep dished ford pistons, eagle i beam rods, and a high volume oil pump. Im using ported D0VE heads that have been rebuilt, edlebrock springs and shaved .010. Im planing around 9.5:1 compression. Im at the point now where i need to start with the valve train and cam. I have thee cams in mind but not sure which one to go with. I originaly wanted to use the Edlebrock Performer RPM to match the Performer RPM air gap intake i plan on using. Every time i research this cam it says not to use in a heavy vehicle or truck. could i use it anyway? I contacted Comp cams and they recomended Xtreme 4x4, X4270H. This seems too mild to me. Is it? Lastly i am considering the Comp cams Xtreme Energy, XE274H. I have seen this used in a couple of bulds with good horse power numbers. All say adjustible valve train required, what do i need to make it adjustible? Rocker arms and new studs? This truck will see the ocasional mud bog but mostly a weekend cruiser, and every once in a while pull up beside these stupid diesel trucks at a red light. Im going to be using 38.5 inch tires with a 4.88 gear and a C6 transmission. Thinking around 2000-2300 stall? 750 cfm carb, performer rpm air gap intake, long tube headers and the rest of the bolt ons. Looking for a cam that makes great torque and hp, and most of all has a awesome rough idle. Any sugestions would be greatly appreceated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 03:05 PM

tvolsr1 First On Race Day

Your build sounds extremely similar to mine. I have an 87' F250HD extended cab 4x4. 466 w/forged dished pistons, eagle sir I beams, hi-volume oiler; so our bottom ends are the same. On top I have D0VE-C ported with I think CJ valves, scorpion roller rockers, and the heads are set-up with adjustable valve train. Eddy Performer RPM intake (I wished it was an Air-Gap), Holley Street Avenger 870, breathing through long tube Hookers into 3inch duals and an x-pipe magnaflow muffler.

Like you, when I did this build around 2 years ago, it was the first I had done in 20 years. The BIGGEST mistake you can probably make is going with the wrong cam! Put this site to good use and listen to the old-timers and senior members on here. Also, listen to what the folks at the cam shops recommend.

I really wanted to go with a bigger, badder cam. I wanted to use the Comp Cams X4278H, but went with the recommended X4270H instead. It is great, it has gobbs of power and torque, more than I will ever need or use and has a great sound. My heavyweight truck will straight s**t and get.

I was also talked out of using a stall. I have 32 inch tires, C-6 tranny w/3.55 gears.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:52 PM

eric72 Driving a Ford
Default vacuum ?

Hi Guys,

Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread here but I'd like to know what vacuum you guys are seeing from your engines?

I get about 13" vacuum at idle with nearly identical build (same short block and cam) but with Eddy 75cc RPM heads and an Eddy 1411 750cfm carb. The engine idles comfortably and runs well with fairly crisp throttle response. A friend of mine whose been wrenching for 30+ years is pretty confident that I should be getting closer to 18" with this setup.

Since I don't have the traditional problems associated with a vacuum leak I'm just trying to figure out whether I'm in the right range as others with a similar setup.

Thanks again and please accept my apologies for hijacking your old thread.

--eric
Old 03-09-2014, 10:05 AM

n5ifi First On Race Day

XE 274 H
Old 03-10-2014, 07:58 AM

supervel45 First On Race Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric72 View Post
Hi Guys,

Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread here but I'd like to know what vacuum you guys are seeing from your engines?

I get about 13" vacuum at idle with nearly identical build (same short block and cam) but with Eddy 75cc RPM heads and an Eddy 1411 750cfm carb. The engine idles comfortably and runs well with fairly crisp throttle response. A friend of mine whose been wrenching for 30+ years is pretty confident that I should be getting closer to 18" with this setup.

Since I don't have the traditional problems associated with a vacuum leak I'm just trying to figure out whether I'm in the right range as others with a similar setup.

Thanks again and please accept my apologies for hijacking your old thread.

--eric
I to have a Comp 4x4 X270 cam I bought off Colorado Ford man here, that I am going to try in my 429. You will not get near 18" of Vacuum with these cams. 10"-14" is more likely. I don't think you would like the low end of the 274-278 in a heavy 4x4. The 270 is a little more than I wanted for the 429, but at the time I was planning on a 460, and it was just a little larger than my Isky 270 Mega Cam, so it looked like a good deal. What kind of Redline, or you getting RPM wise. I am expecting about 6000RPM with the 429, I was getting about 5,800 or so with the Isky. The Chevy guy's complain that these cams are noisy ( valve train wise, not idle lope ) in SB's, how does your's sound in the Ford?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:22 AM

DeepRoots First On Race Day

A good cheap cam for a street driven vehicle that needs torque and vacuum?
I run an Elgin 1088-p
http://catalog.elginind.com/app/Engi...gh+Performance

Excellent for power you can use. Mine isn't a truck, its a 429 in a 63 Galaxie, but I suspect it'd still do all the truck type stuff you'd want it to do. Plus convertor requirements would be pretty flexible with this.

Drew
Old 03-10-2014, 10:20 AM

http://www.mustangtek.com/Camshaft/camshaft.html I bet the Elgin is close to the old 1972 PI cam, except the Elgin a single pattern. I think both should have good vacuum, and gas mileage, for a mild build.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:12 AM

For the sake of knowing.... the cam's idle sounds like this:

http://s68.photobucket.com/user/Deep...b06ea.mp4.html

I get 10mpg on the highway, but I've also got 25.5 inch tall tires and 4.30 rear gears, and I drive like a retarded teenager, so......
Old 03-11-2014, 10:38 PM

Very nice. What is the initial timing set at? It does not sound much different than my Isky 270 in a 429, st at 14 degree's after it's warmed up.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:32 AM

16initial 36 total.
It had a MSD billet dist in it, but I swapped it out for a duraspark as i lusted for double digit fuel economy.

Oh and that was right after I welded up custom dual 3inch exhaust with two 24inch glasspacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.