Steet Outlaws....good or bad? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Non-Tech Topics > Chilly's Garage

Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:13 PM

CarsByCarl Driving a Ford
Question Steet Outlaws....good or bad?

What do you guys think the effect of this show is going to be on the average hot-rod guy, and the sport as a whole? I like that they're keeping things relatively safe by not screwing around in traffic, but they also seem to be gaining some unwanted attention from law enforcement by being on television.

I'm concerned about the average hobbyist getting more attention from local police because "they're not going to let anything like that happen on their turf". Any of you guys hear or see anything happening? Local wanna-be racers causing trouble, or guys getting hassled for nothing more than a car on a trailer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 10:33 PM

NITROUS FORD Driving a Ford
Send a message via Yahoo to NITROUS FORD
Talking

not againist the law to have a car on a trailer! but like you said it will make the cops in your city take a look at the cars that's leaving the car shows of such! or late nite drives!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 PM

68formalGT Driving a Ford

We used to go to the "air port" in Del Norte when I was a kid late at night to race. I'm not sure if we were worried about safety or not getting caught, I think the police knew what we were doing but we never saw them out there. Hopefully the people watching aren't putting others in danger.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 PM

BOSS 429 Driving a Ford

no worst then the fast and stupid shows did, they promoted racing in town , In traffic, and where there were side streets.

SOL'S is a lot better then that other stuff. At least it is drag racing!
BUY,SELL,TRADE BIG BLOCK FORD parts

CLYINDER HEAD PORTING
COMPLETE ENGINES
STROKERS TO STOCK SCJ TO BOSS 429'S
632 557 532 598CI ETC
READY TO RUN OR DYNOED

Last edited by BOSS 429; 12-30-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:47 AM

TorinoStyle2 Driving a Ford

Simply put, its fake!!
Its TV.
I know the cars are real, but that whole show is scripted and choreographed.
Their so-called "racing" takes place on closed roads, or airport runways with police permission.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:51 AM

torino501 Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorinoStyle2 View Post
Simply put, its fake!!
Its TV.
Their so-called "racing" takes place on closed roads, or airport runways with police permission.
I agree... after about 2-3 episodes I caught on to the show. it was kinda like the wrecker repo shows the wife made me watch.. after about 3 episodes I told her it looked like the fake wresteling shows I uded to watch as a kid.. she was so disgusted when I started show her all the fake hits and b/s that was going on with the show.she was BAMBOOZLED...LOL!!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Simply put, its fake!!
Its TV.
There's no question the show is fake/lame/scripted, that's not what I'm talking about here. Not a chance a TV network would expose themselves to the liability of being involved in real illegal activity.

These guys were street racing before the show, and they'll be doing it after the show is gone. My concern is that the show is glamorizing an illegal sub-culture of our sport/hobby and that people who otherwise might not have gotten involved in this kind of activity will start forming their own local groups and heading out in the wee hours of the morning to race on the streets. The PTA moms are going to be "concerned" and cops are going to be ramping up enforcement to "keep the kids safe".

We saw a huge surge in the popularity of drag racing with Pinks and Pinks All Out. I used to receive calls from customers all the time telling me they were building a car for the show. Small local tracks were seeing increased numbers. Big tracks were seeing more people show up for Pinks All Out than they did for the NHRA pros. After the show was killed by Nascar, it all started going away. Tracks are closing and the sport is dieing again.

I've been hoping somebody would put the dots together and bring back some sort of racing show, the opposite has happened. Speed network is gone, and it's getting hard to find any legitimate car-culture based programing. Sure there's the thirty minute info-mercial "how-to" shows, and some auction based stuff, but none of that involves actual enthusiasts building and racing their cars. We can either watch shows that are trying to sell parts that most people can't afford, or shows about people buying and selling cars as commodities.

Street Outlaws is the only programing I can think of with actual enthusiasts. Sure the show is fake, but they were car guys before the show and they'll be car guys after it's gone. I just can't decide if this show will bring people back to the hobby, or if it's going to be the last nail in the coffin.

Last edited by CarsByCarl; 12-31-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:33 AM

GT300TD Driving a Ford
Lightbulb

Although they race under safe conditions most of those cars seem 'scary fast' for street racing, plus it's against the law. This may sound corny, but maybe if they tuned the show around and have these guys race on a santioned dragstrip a better example would delivered. Of course this won't happen with a reality show.
IMO... the show will eventually draw a bunch of young copy cats and someone will be killed and the cops and/or concerned parents will "make an example" and crack down on the rest of us.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:06 AM

I don't know if it will make street racing any bigger or more popular then it was before the show but if and when there is an arrest or accident the media and law enforcement will push the show as the cause for a "sudden rise" in problems. Get ready for "Street Outlaw" laws to be passed in the name of public safety.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:09 AM

67cougar First On Race Day

I don't street race as I don't want to pay the price if I was busted. As far as people who watch a show and then want to do things, want a bees.
I have liked since I was a kid. Wanted to drag race once I had my own car. No tv show or movie moves me one way or another. Shows such as pass time only make me wish I was at the track not the couch watching.

I don't have cable or satellite TV. I stream the things I watch over the internet. I like to choose what I watch. In modern times I don't see how channels the way you know them will last. With programing to suit a model.

Oh on a side note never even heard of that show.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

RocketcarX Driving a Ford

Soon as they crash one of those big tire promods on the street there will be new legislation about racing. Even though the show is scripted and the roads are closed I can see it being used as a weapon against racers.

It is good entertainment though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1923.jpg (6.4 KB, 41 views)
Old 12-31-2013, 02:19 PM

TorinoStyle2 Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
There's no question the show is fake/lame/scripted, that's not what I'm talking about here. Not a chance a TV network would expose themselves to the liability of being involved in real illegal activity.

These guys were street racing before the show, and they'll be doing it after the show is gone. My concern is that the show is glamorizing an illegal sub-culture of our sport/hobby and that people who otherwise might not have gotten involved in this kind of activity will start forming their own local groups and heading out in the wee hours of the morning to race on the streets. The PTA moms are going to be "concerned" and cops are going to be ramping up enforcement to "keep the kids safe".

We saw a huge surge in the popularity of drag racing with Pinks and Pinks All Out. I used to receive calls from customers all the time telling me they were building a car for the show. Small local tracks were seeing increased numbers. Big tracks were seeing more people show up for Pinks All Out than they did for the NHRA pros. After the show was killed by Nascar, it all started going away. Tracks are closing and the sport is dieing again.

I've been hoping somebody would put the dots together and bring back some sort of racing show, the opposite has happened. Speed network is gone, and it's getting hard to find any legitimate car-culture based programing. Sure there's the thirty minute info-mercial "how-to" shows, and some auction based stuff, but none of that involves actual enthusiasts building and racing their cars. We can either watch shows that are trying to sell parts that most people can't afford, or shows about people buying and selling cars as commodities.

Street Outlaws is the only programing I can think of with actual enthusiasts. Sure the show is fake, but they were car guys before the show and they'll be car guys after it's gone. I just can't decide if this show will bring people back to the hobby, or if it's going to be the last nail in the coffin.

Yes, I see what you're saying Carl.
Its a two edged sword.....the media loves to expose and/or sensationalize every little thing it can for its own purpose.
The true street racers will continue to be the ones out there doing it, regardless of whats portrayed on TV.
In my area, we already have a group of street racers who kinda model themselves after the show.....meaning that they are keeping score in a similar manner like those guys on TV.

The show recently came out here to SoCal, and a few very fast local street racers were "chosen" to be on the show, and they were told NOT to win against the OKC boys by the producers!!
As as far as its impact on society, yes I think there will be more attention / awareness placed on the activity.....especially since the crash and death of actor Paul Walker, who was put into the illegal street racer catagory by the media before the fire was put out.

We as hot rodders need to keep a lower profile and just not drive like idiots on the public streets when we are out in our hot rod cars, because everybody will be watching us.

But after everyone has gone to bed, and the nighttime has fallen upon the land, we'll line em up on a deserted backroad!!
Old 12-31-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
We as hot rodders need to keep a lower profile and just not drive like idiots on the public streets when we are out in our hot rod cars, because everybody will be watching us.

But after everyone has gone to bed, and the nighttime has fallen upon the land, we'll line em up on a deserted backroad!!
I really have no issue at all with street racing on deserted roads, where the only damage that can be done is to the people involved and their cars. It shouldn't even be a crime as far as I'm concerned.

It's the morons hitting tipple digit speeds in traffic, or driving like idiots in front of people's houses that are going to ruin it for everyone else, and they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Personally, I've got too much to lose to participate in sort of street racing. I'll pay the race fees to the tracks up front instead of paying the courts, insurance agents, and lawyers after getting caught on the street.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
I really have no issue at all with street racing on deserted roads, where the only damage that can be done is to the people involved and their cars. It shouldn't even be a crime as far as I'm concerned.

It's the morons hitting tipple digit speeds in traffic, or driving like idiots in front of people's houses that are going to ruin it for everyone else, and they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Personally, I've got too much to lose to participate in sort of street racing. I'll pay the race fees to the tracks up front instead of paying the courts, insurance agents, and lawyers after getting caught on the street.
Its pretty nice having a drag strip in your backyard, on Friday nights I can hear the track when I'm standing outside. Not much of a drive down here for you Carl.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68formalGT View Post
Its pretty nice having a drag strip in your backyard, on Friday nights I can hear the track when I'm standing outside. Not much of a drive down here for you Carl.
Yeah, but I don't drag race anymore. Open road racing and top speed events are my main focus. Haven't been to PMP for the road coarse because HPR isn't much further and it soooo much better. The rest of the stuff is 6-12 hours away, but even with the expense of going that far, it's still cheaper than getting busted on public highways.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.