Steet Outlaws....good or bad? - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Non-Tech Topics > Chilly's Garage

Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:48 PM

GT300TD Driving a Ford
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
I really have no issue at all with street racing on deserted roads, where the only damage that can be done is to the people involved and their cars. It shouldn't even be a crime as far as I'm concerned.

It's the morons hitting tipple digit speeds in traffic, or driving like idiots in front of people's houses that are going to ruin it for everyone else, and they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Personally, I've got too much to lose to participate in sort of street racing. I'll pay the race fees to the tracks up front instead of paying the courts, insurance agents, and lawyers after getting caught on the street.
I'm a product of the '60's, a small town in Ohio. We used to figure our races, put on our slicks at the local Maple and Forest Sohio station, after midnight on the weekends, and go out on Creamery road, line up and race. About 1/2 hour and we were done. Drive back into town and meet at the Sohio station, change our tires, go up to the 70-37 Truck stop (1/2 hour drive away) and have a burger. No money involved, just a good clean outlet for a group of car guys. The cops knew we did it and didn't bother us (until some self-rightous a$$hole called them to complain). We even had a State Patrolman in a '69 440 GTX that raced with us (he was off duty of course). Of course our cars were nothing like the ones of today. And the law was a lot more understanding. A lot more cars on the road now-a-days, though. Darn nice to grow up in that era.
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 05:58 PM

68formalGT Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
Yeah, but I don't drag race anymore. Open road racing and top speed events are my main focus. Haven't been to PMP for the road coarse because HPR isn't much further and it soooo much better. The rest of the stuff is 6-12 hours away, but even with the expense of going that far, it's still cheaper than getting busted on public highways.

I think there's just something about racing on the streets for some guys, we lived in Winnemucca in the '90s and the Pony Express road race started about 80 miles away in Battle Mountain, that was cool.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:39 PM

CarsByCarl Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT300TD View Post
I'm a product of the '60's, a small town in Ohio. We used to figure our races, put on our slicks at the local Maple and Forest Sohio station, after midnight on the weekends, and go out on Creamery road, line up and race. About 1/2 hour and we were done. Drive back into town and meet at the Sohio station, change our tires, go up to the 70-37 Truck stop (1/2 hour drive away) and have a burger. No money involved, just a good clean outlet for a group of car guys. The cops knew we did it and didn't bother us (until some self-rightous a$$hole called them to complain). We even had a State Patrolman in a '69 440 GTX that raced with us (he was off duty of course). Of course our cars were nothing like the ones of today. And the law was a lot more understanding. A lot more cars on the road now-a-days, though. Darn nice to grow up in that era.
Growing up in Detroit, we raced four wide on Telegraph most weekends. Guys would trailer in their cars and run full slicks with race gas on the street. Cops were mixed in with traffic but didn't hassle anyone unless they were getting really stupid. We'd pull over in the strip malls, pop the hood and see where the real action was going to be later that night. There was a club that would go out and run for top speed on the interstate in the wee hours of the morning....I think one or two guys on the board here may have been involved in that.

ahhh, the good ol' days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 09:20 PM

Duane Driving a Ford

I enjoyed street racing in the 80's, mid 90's my street cars were 10 second runners, I won lots of money. Then a friend rolled his 427 Fairlane and came out of the car and died. I started a family and decided to be safe and just stick to the track. BoostedGT from the show is one of our locals, and working at the track, I've seen the times it runs, incredible for a car with less than 350 cubes, and small tires.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:00 AM

Rampage815 Driving a Ford

Sure there's the thirty minute info-mercial "how-to" shows, and some auction based stuff, but none of that involves actual enthusiasts building and racing their cars. We can either watch shows that are trying to sell parts that most people can't afford, or shows about people buying and selling cars as commodities.

I like to watch those shows but they do need a dose of reality they built a "cheap affordable off road Jeep" and proceed to sink 40 grand into it.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:27 AM

A-bomb First On Race Day
Default street racing lives on

Long after this show is gone, street racing will still be going strong. Back in the day ( outside OKC ) we raced anything that we could get a-hold of. One ton oil field trucks ( complete with gin-poles and winches ), slant 6 Dodges, 11 sec Darts, Moms Grand Prix, Older brothers Mustang, Whatever. There wasn't anything better on those hot summer nights. We did run on long straight back-roads, just line up, run the 1/4 and wait for the next set. Man that brings back some good memories. Then off to Sonic for some burgers and cherry-vanilla Dr. Peppers. Good Times.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:04 AM

beaterbike First On Race Day

I live between Chicago and great lakes dragaway . All I can add is street racing even in Chicago is still alive and well I really don't think it's going away anytime soon . Chicago can't slow down the gunshots and murder rate much less street racing . its only mentioned when someone crashes and gets killed even then it's a one night news story and it disappears . Out here in the burbs and up into wisc there are so many roads that are empty for miles and unpatrolled its relatively safe as far as getting caught . Me wife family the whole deal dirt bikes tore me up so I started playing it a little safer .Might still exceed the posted limit on occasion but racing ? too much to lose , track for me but I might test here and there without paying the fee's to get in.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:22 AM

GT300TD Driving a Ford

The way the law is today.
Too much to lose...that about sums it up.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 AM

Fordmanmatt First On Race Day
Garage

The show clearly has signs that they are not really on public roads when they race but I love the show, and as for the track I plan on running there when my build is done, and I also see why people race on private roads where there is no traffic, the tracks have to many rules too, I understand it is for safety reasons and insurance purpose, but not having to obey rules and put roll cages in cars that are street strip cars when they don't want them in there for what ever reason I do understand that too, as long as there is ridiculous laws and rules people are going to break the rules and laws they don't agree with, as I see it there is nothing wrong with racing on a road with no traffic it's a risk like any other risk and that should be each persons own decision....

The society of today are for wimps to many rules just like football I remember when it used to be fun watching the qb get his clock cleaned now you can barley touch him!!!!

Let each person make there own decisions and stop babysitting us with fines and court rooms we don't want it!!!!!!!!!!!!

But its the dumb asses that do race in front of houses and on highways where there is traffic present these clowns ruin it for us all, and those are the idiots that help make these stupid rules and laws present today!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 AM

zephyrbob Driving a Ford

I almost ran a couple down in 1986 while street racing....I complain about life but can you imagine what it would have been? thank the lord for someones elses reaction. gt300td you got it right. fordmanmatt I see you live in brainerd. it cost 25 bucks to go down the track on Wednesdays. in minnesota we have tons of off road, snowmobile races, and ice races. rant over. bob

Last edited by zephyrbob; 01-07-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:45 AM

nitetrain First On Race Day

takes me back to indy in the mid 70s, south side and 465 after midnight
Old 02-01-2014, 10:39 AM

GT300TD Driving a Ford

I'm beginning to wonder about the show a bit. Granted they have some bad a$$ cars BUT last week they went to California and totally destroyed all of Californias best. The week before they did the same to the Drag Week guys, the Drag Week cars??? In one episode they went to run on a local 'unprepared' track. it did look pretty bad. Big Chief stated that some of the worst streets he has raced on were better than the track. Then Tina wrecked her truck at the end of a race. Wonder why the track would let supposed 8 second cars run when the track was so 'slippery'?????? Just sayin'!
Old 02-01-2014, 01:43 PM

Fairlanes4ever First On Race Day
Garage

Got to say I like the show from an entertainment standpoint, but no doubt it's all staged. That's ok though.... It's a TV show and it should be looked upon as such. It's about as true to life as Mr. Ed. I haven't street raced since the '80s so watching the show has brought me up to speed with today's street racers. Apparently in today's world all you need to be a top notch street racer is a backwards hat, hoodie, cargo shorts, and act like a total douche. Seems easy enough.

"Can't nuthin out run my V8 Ford"- Chuck Berry
Old 02-01-2014, 01:49 PM

Fordmanmatt First On Race Day
Garage

Yes and I cant wait to get my ride done and get over there!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrbob View Post
I almost ran a couple down in 1986 while street racing....I complain about life but can you imagine what it would have been? thank the lord for someones elses reaction. gt300td you got it right. fordmanmatt I see you live in brainerd. it cost 25 bucks to go down the track on Wednesdays. in minnesota we have tons of off road, snowmobile races, and ice races. rant over. bob
Old 02-01-2014, 07:32 PM

zephyrbob Driving a Ford

matt me too, may 7. Hinckley boy. the weather gives me work aka garage door bob. but also has my septic froze till spring and well freezes when its colder than 28 below. sorry to op for straying......bobn
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.