Hypothetical 460 Turbo Engine - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:02 PM

killgore First On Race Day
Default Hypothetical 460 Turbo Engine

Hey guys, I've stalked this site to get my fill of the monster engine, so I finally decided to sign up. Personally, I haven't owned a 460. Currently I have a 390 in my dentside truck. I have driven several of my Dad's 460 powered vehicles, boy are they monsters.

On to the point at hand. I have an idea for a 460 that I wanted to hear from the experts on how to make it happen. This would all make more sense if you've seen the Project Rolling Thunder on the television show Trucks. I want to build a track monster using a twin turbo 460 . I was thinking to build the 460 I would use a carburated 460.

Carburation - 750 CFM Holley with E85 Conversion
Intake Manifold - Used Aluminum Dual Plane
Heads - Smoothed runners / Port Matched
Valvetrain - Heavier Valvesprings, all else stock
Pistons - Stock 8.0:1 compression
Turbochargers - A diesel turbo on each exhaust manifold. Run each turbo through its own intercooler, about 20 psi.

Thats the basic run down i had in my head for the build. I know it wouldn't be super powerful, but you need the punch of torque more than you need horsepower to get out of turns.

Do you guys think this combo would fit in a ranger? If not it may just end up in my old dentside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 08:50 PM

customblackbird First On Race Day

No idea, but your carb will need to be blown through. Personally if your going turbo I would highly recommend EFI, the self learning stuff is pretty cheap now. You will also need a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump capable to flowing fuel at a higher PSI than the Turbos produce. SO an EFI pump, EFI boost referenced regulator. If you kept boost low like 8-12psi you could run a carb style fuel pump rated to 20psi and a matching carb regulator.

E85 means more flow to make the same power, so all your regulator/pump needs to be E85 compatable and flow the required amount.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 PM

beaterbike First On Race Day

definitely go with better exhaust valves material wise , bigger carb , torquer II intake , and with the turbos if your looking for torque out of the corners buy your turbo's towards the small side so they spool . good deals on t4 turbos can be had then you will get a little choice at least on ar ratio and size.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:19 AM

maritimer95gt First On Race Day

I'm actually in the process of building one right now. Go on youtube and search 460 turbo maverick. I'm kinda mirroring my internal setup after his, but stronger. It's a little hard to track parts down at first because most guys like to run high compression aftermarket parts. Look at getting some dish top pistons that are forged. I got 24.4cc dishes on mine. Summit racing has them. I would run h beam rods too. If you're going to run with the stock crank like I am, make sure to have the rotating assembly balanced. It will relieve a lot of stress on the crank. Also after looking at what a lot of other guys have done with blow through carbs on engines this size, 800-900cfm carbs seem to do the trick. I got myself a Quick Fuel blow through 850. I'd be happy to help you with part numbers if you want them.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:59 PM

killgore First On Race Day

So because E85 helps run higher compresson, would a 10:1 compression work good with maybe 8 psi of boost? With a decent cam should this make around 350-400 hp
Old 02-23-2014, 08:54 PM

beaterbike First On Race Day

You can make that without turbos and a close to stock engine
Old 02-25-2014, 11:06 PM

falcon8r Driving a Ford
Default Turbos

The 460 based engines will make 400 hp easy with no turbos. I work with turbo engines. I have a 120 cid engine in my shop now that has a single "diesel" turbo. It makes 600 hp or so. Do some home work. A twin turbo would be a some boost grenade on a stock engine till kit puked. I think a tune on pump gas with twins on a budget is possible. Lots of wastegate. Tres...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.