Rob's 1990 Fox Body Build - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Car Buildup Forum

Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:13 PM

robertschultz1 First On Race Day
Default Rob's 1990 Fox Body Build

Hello everyone, been floating around checking out the threads on here for a little bit while researching for my build, finally decided to make a thread for my build.

First I'll start off with a little History; I came from the Honda world and after much persuasion from a buddy of mine, decided to ditch the Honda scene and get myself something that is actually worth my time and money, a good ol' Ford V8.

I purchased my 1990 Mustang LX 5.0 in August of 2013. I was in a debate between buying a motorcycle or getting myself a Mustang. My wife was not completely for a Motorcycle or a Mustang as she was reminded how much dumb money I spent on a Honda. Ultimately, she "allowed" me to finally get a Mustang. And from there I drew a plan: drive it now, go big later.

I drove my Mustang for a couple months and even took it up to Raleigh to attend a Auto Show, the car ran like a champ. Shortly there after the 23 years started catching up with it. I had a few problems that were easy to fix, but after they were fixed, more and more kept showing up. I decided at this point to stop throwing money into rebuilding the 302 when I already had plans to eventually go bigger, I set my mind to source out a 351W and build myself a 408 stroker. With a very limited opportunity to get ahold of a reasonably priced 351, I came across a 460BB while browsing Craigslist. The complete 460 was offered at a price most 351Ws were going for in my area, and from the pictures, this one came with goodies already attached that were worth more than the asking price. Therefore I went and checked out the motor, and decided it should take a ride home with me.

So here we are today, I am currently in the process of rebuilding the 460 and also setting aside a decent budget of $3000 total to get this installed into the fox body, from rebuilding the motor, to upgrading the suspension. This is still going to be a weekend cruiser/track and yet still be reliable enough to start it up in the morning and drive to work if I chose to.

Here are some pictures for everyone to enjoy.

Out with the old...

In with the new...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 02:14 PM

Tear down on the 460

And a little comparison of a 460 Piston vs a Honda D16 Piston

Last edited by robertschultz1; 02-05-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:53 PM

butterbean First On Race Day
Default good start

welcome Robert, you look like you have a really good starting point, looks like the motor has already been worked on? does it have over size pistons? and a bigger cam? the heads look like D3VE's and they are good street heads to get started with, let us know about the motor and keep the pictures coming.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:09 PM

Gmsmkr First On Race Day

That is 1 beauty of a coupe looks like you are well on your way to a nice set up while you got it out go ahead and put a tubular k member in it you can put the stock arms on it while you save the money for the coil overs and a arms keep up the good work and best of luck to you -mike
Old 02-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Motor has had work previous owner said it was for a truck project but was in a Fox at one point.

Motor is a 71 Block (D1VE) with D3 heads. When I first picked it up it was obvious it had Edelbrock Intake, Holley Fuel Pump, Rear sump Pan and Fox Body Swap mounts.

After I broken it down I found a Comp 268 can and lifters, D0OE rods, and dome pistons at .020 over at 4.381. Finding this stuff completely set in stone I got a hell of a deal on this motor. I haven't had a chance to measure anything else yet, I'm assuming the pushrods and valve springs are probably aftermarket of some sort. While it was fun finding this, with planning to do .060 over the pistons are no use. I plan on keeping the cam, but since I didn't plan on it initially I separated the lifters out of order so I at least need to get new lifters. Everything else I will pretty much be using. Might get a set of D0VE heads if at the right price and probably get a set of football rods.

Last edited by robertschultz1; 02-05-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmsmkr View Post
That is 1 beauty of a coupe looks like you are well on your way to a nice set up while you got it out go ahead and put a tubular k member in it you can put the stock arms on it while you save the money for the coil overs and a arms keep up the good work and best of luck to you -mike
Thanks mike, already have the Tubular Member on the list. Want to try to fit this all under a 2" cowl at the most plus the header clearance it will give me will make me feel better lol.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:21 PM

Gmsmkr First On Race Day

Do the 1.5 inch k memeber spacers run a drop air cleaner it will fit

Also if you plan to run tall valve covers go to a 85-86 power brake booster as they are smaller that is if you plan to keep power brakes.

Nobody's perfect but if u drive a ford your darn close.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:45 PM

I'll be running standard valve covers, if I decide to go roller rockers, I'll use stock without baffles. I was wondering which booster was the smaller one. Thanks. I'll also be running a Manual Steering rack.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:51 PM

Gmsmkr First On Race Day

No prob just pm me if you have any questions mustangs are all we build at my shop. Good luck and happy building -mike

Old 02-05-2014, 07:15 PM

I appreciate it!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:22 PM

Mustang-Junky First On Race Day

Those pistons look like forged TRW L2443's.

Jess
Old 02-05-2014, 11:05 PM

I do have a question: I found a set of Flat Top Speed Pro pistons for a decent price, then I found another set a little cheaper but they have two valve reliefs. With D0VE heads would it matter if I have double vs single valve relief?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:17 PM

Gmsmkr First On Race Day

What do you plan to do with the combo do you want to run pump gas?
Are the pistons dish top or flat top post some numbers for the pistons but the speed pros sit further in the hole what brand are the others

Last edited by Gmsmkr; 02-05-2014 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Mis print
Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang-Junky View Post
Those pistons look like forged TRW L2443's.

Jess
Yeah they do, but there are no markings on them at all.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:27 PM

Gmsmkr First On Race Day

The intake valve is bigger that's why the single relife is there with stock valve layout most of the time the exhaust valve is further away that's why there is no relife on that side of the piston unless your running a big cam I wouldn't worry it will also bump the comp a little. With a single relife

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.