Fairmont mini tub - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:03 PM

Hermancar Driving a Ford
Default Fairmont mini tub

I have a 1980 fairmont with moser 9 inch (standard length). I need to get the 10 inch tires under the car more and lower the rear end to keep from unloading the tires. I have QA1 coil over kit,D&D double adjustable upper control and adjustable lower arms. I want to mini tub my fairmont to move the tire under the car better for better traction. Has anyone done this and what is your suggestions and oppinions. I want to keep the rear suspension stock as possible. I plan to mini tub only to the stock frame. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2006, 08:39 AM

bonfire Driving a Ford

shouldn't be any different than minitubbing a fox mustang. same chassis and all. seems like some of the set-ups I have seen used an inner rear wheel well bought for a 65-68 mustang. I know one of the regular posters over at nmraracing.com developed a nice loooking set-up that included rear control arms, anti-sway bar, and necessary sheetmetal. where is the tire contacting? Most fox mustangs can git a 10.inch tire with and 8 inch wheel in 5.5 inch backspace or a 10 inch wheel and 6.5 inch backspace and some persuasion via a BFH. are you hitting the inner wheel well, the outer, what backspace are you using?
Old 02-13-2006, 10:07 AM

wesleyj Driving a Ford

Hello there. I am in the process of minitubbing a 78 Fairmont. Maybe I can help you out a bit.

So let me understand this better. You want to run a 10 inch tire, but want to drop the rear of the car, and effectively raise the tire in the wheelwell?

I am going the minitub route with the coilovers. I will be running stock style controls arms (upper and lower) on the factory brackets. After I cut out the existing factory wheeltubs, and the upper spring perch and all that associated hardware, i'll be able to fit a 325/50/15 in there, which is about 13 inches.

To be honest i'm a little suprised you can't fit that in the stock wheelwell. I've heard of people running 10.5 x 29 in the stock wheelwell with the use of a big hammer.

Wes
Old 02-13-2006, 01:54 PM

Hermancar Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfire
shouldn't be any different than minitubbing a fox mustang. same chassis and all. seems like some of the set-ups I have seen used an inner rear wheel well bought for a 65-68 mustang. I know one of the regular posters over at nmraracing.com developed a nice loooking set-up that included rear control arms, anti-sway bar, and necessary sheetmetal. where is the tire contacting? Most fox mustangs can git a 10.inch tire with and 8 inch wheel in 5.5 inch backspace or a 10 inch wheel and 6.5 inch backspace and some persuasion via a BFH. are you hitting the inner wheel well, the outer, what backspace are you using?
( My Back Spacing is 6.5 but i installed a .5 inch spacer because it rubbed the shock tower. If i lower it, it rubs the outer fender lip in turn. i an using cargo springs because they are very stiff but they keep the rear end up in the air. thanks
Old 02-13-2006, 01:56 PM

ifergusson Driving a Ford

On the Autoweld website they have a "How To" section showing how to mini-tub a fox Mustang which might be interesting to look at http://www.autoweldchassis.com/cp.ivnu
Old 02-13-2006, 02:00 PM

Hermancar Driving a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyj
Hello there. I am in the process of minitubbing a 78 Fairmont. Maybe I can help you out a bit.

So let me understand this better. You want to run a 10 inch tire, but want to drop the rear of the car, and effectively raise the tire in the wheelwell?

I am going the minitub route with the coilovers. I will be running stock style controls arms (upper and lower) on the factory brackets. After I cut out the existing factory wheeltubs, and the upper spring perch and all that associated hardware, i'll be able to fit a 325/50/15 in there, which is about 13 inches.

To be honest i'm a little suprised you can't fit that in the stock wheelwell. I've heard of people running 10.5 x 29 in the stock wheelwell with the use of a big hammer.

Wes
I have 10 inch wheels,6.5 inch back spacing with a .5 inch spacer to keep it from rubing on inner shock braces. I use heavy duty cargo springs but they keep the rear a little high in the rear. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.