How do you test a Duraspark pick-up assembly? - 460 Ford Forum
460 Ford Forum  
Go Back   460 Ford Forum > Tech Topics > Engine Tech

Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

460Ford.com is the premier 460 Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:57 PM

ifergusson Driving a Ford
Default How do you test a Duraspark pick-up assembly?

I am not getting any spark out the Duraspark ignition on my truck and I think it is the pick-up coil as I have eliminated every other possibility I can think of and managed to isolate the problem to the distributor.When I measure the resistance across the coil I get about 540 ohms which is within specs and I also get infinite resistance between the wires going to the pick-up and ground.Is there another test I can do as I hate to replace it if it is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2006, 06:46 AM

cdeal28078 Driving a Ford

I saw a way to do this one time that I thought was pretty cool but can't remember everything about how he did it.
He basically hot-wired the engine and removed a plug wire and placed it near a ground. He then used a 110v electric razor and held it close to the pick-up in the distributor. That thing went crazy firing the plug wire. Might be more too it but that's all I remember. Worked like a charm though, I remember that and pretty much tested everything in the system.
clint
Old 03-23-2006, 08:51 AM

Danny Cabral Driving a Ford

Let's test this the conventional way (using an ohmmeter). MSD uses the same type of magnetic pick-up coil as the Ford Duraspark:
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/tech%...ic_trigger.pdf

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
Old 03-28-2006, 08:46 AM

ifergusson Driving a Ford

I just thought I would post an update and maybe help someone else out with the same problem.The pick-up tested fine with an ohmmeter.I pulled the distributor and set up a temporary Duraspark ignition system on my workbench.If I used the distributor only as a triggering mechanism and put a spark plug at the end of the coil wire I had a good spark but if I routed the spark through the cap and rotor I got nothing.I replaced the cap and rotor with another one and it worked fine.I have never had a cap/rotor suddenly fail but that seemed to be the culprit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.