460 Ford Forum banner

1993 Mustang Radiator Mounting Spot?

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  MrScharfenberger 
#1 ·
Is it possible to mount the radiator on a 1993 Mustang on the front side of the radiator support instead of the traditional backside of the radiator support in the engine compartment? I don't have the front nose on the car so I just can't picture in my mind how tight the front nose clip is up against the radiator support. I thought I read on here at some point about somebody else doing this but I can't find that post. I have a set of dual puller fans that I'd like to use but if I have to go with the traditional radiator support I won't have enough room in between the radiator & the water pump for this. If you have seen this done or know something about it let me know please. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I posted on his thread and asked if he had any updated pictures with the front clip on and the radiator in. It looks do-able. I have a Flex-a-lite dual puller fan setup that pulls 4600 cfm. I'd really like to use it. It will fit top to bottom and from left to right. But I'm lacking a few inches in depth. Those fans had no problems keeping the motor cool in the truck. It always ran right at 180 degrees. Thanks for posting the link. I don't think that was the one I was talking about but it will do. I seem to recall somebody mounting the radiator in front of the radiator support. ....but I could be imagining that part. It was a while ago. Or so I think...

#4 ·
There were some other ones that moved them forward but that was just the one that I recalled. My last Mustang I had an extreme duty cooling rad from an 89 F-150 that I made fit (I had just bought the radiator a month before a decided to build the Mustang).

#5 ·
Chris... Do you have a radiator already, or do you need to get one? The reason I ask, is because there are some deeper core ones that we have access too that allows you to mount it flush within the hole... Just shoot me a PM or Email and let me know!

#7 ·
I already have one. It is a Griffin Dominator series radiator. Looks like it will cool well. It is nice and thick. A little too thick...

The fans I'm trying to use are Flex-a-Lite dual pullers that were made for a GMC Suburban. They pull a lot of air. I was out looking at it today and I figured if I built some different radiator attachment fittings I could angle the radiator in towards the engine at the bottom and push the top out towards the front nose clip at the top. This would give me the clearance that I need for the fans since the waterpump lines up on the high side of the radiator. I haven't totally decided if this is what I'm going to do yet. It would be a good bit of work to make it happen. I'm really thinking about DRail's suggestion and just getting some fans out of the junk yard. Then I could just leave the dual pullers on my F100 and I would not need a shroud and mechanical fan setup for it. They are in the F100 and working now.

#9 ·
I might make the point that most 12 volt fans will run in the opposite direction by simply switching the side you apply the voltage to.... You can run a push or pull... and I have even seen people put one pushing on the front and one pulling on the back... lol!

BBF's aren't exactly bad about overheating to begin with.... ;)

#11 ·
The ones I have will reverse if you switch the power wires (ask me how I know. It took me a few minutes to figure out why it was running hot. duh..) but the shroud has little flaps built into it that swing open to the rear for ram air cooling when going down the highway. I'm thinking that I will try to pull some fans out of the junk yard and leave the flex-a-lite dual pullers in my truck. After all... It is set up and running already. I like that idea that the other guys have thrown out there.

#12 ·
Chris I ran a stock 2 core radiator with a $60 becool electric fan pushing from the front with a factory replacement waterpump with no cooling issues. Run sufficient timing and keep the system in god condition and you should be fine with a pusher fan. One thing I have found is when using a pusher fan DO NOT RUN A SHROUD!!!

#13 ·
I believe that Team-Z makes a tubular lower radiator support. It would require cutting the stock one out, but it may alow you to lower your radiator and move it forward a bit for more fan clearance.

Jess

#14 ·
I went through two iterations. Both used the same radiator (31x19) and trans cooler. I changed the fans to fix an overheating problem.

Iteration #1:

Fan setup #1:

I swapped out the fans and continued to use the same x-member setup.

Fan setup #2:

The second iteration cut the lower x-member out of the car and went back with a tubular version.

#15 ·
I appreciate you posting the pic's 96Mustang460CID. I think I have decided to just put the fans on the front of the radiator and make them pushers instead of pullers. I thought about modifying the front radiator support but then I determined that I could cool the beast with some pusher fans and maybe have an offset puller as well. At least that is going to be the plan for now.. I'm hoping that I can get to that part of the project this weekend so you post was timely.

#16 ·
I had a similar situation where the fan motor and the water pump snout were wanting to be in the same place.

I built a mount to lower the radiator and get the clearance I needed. The stock lower support was mangled anyway.

Now with electric pump

#17 ·
I had a similar situation where the fan motor and the water pump snout were wanting to be in the same place.

I built a mount to lower the radiator and get the clearance I needed. The stock lower support was mangled anyway.
What fan is on there? It doesn't look very thick at all. The fans that I have are 4 inches wide and that is just too wide to fit without modifying something.

And thanks for posting the pic's by the way. Most helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.