intake manifold pecking order - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJackson View Post
I don't think there's much point in going into sheet metal intakes and such on this list. Kinda like including the A441 hemi heads in the head pecking order list. Anyone actually thinking of buying those parts doesn't (or shouldn't) need to refer to a basic list like this.
good point, that makes sense. Any other info I should include on the manifolds that people can take into consideration when deciding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
Well, YEAH, Chuck, Hot Rods DO look cool with a Tunnel ram! lol Now, If I can figure out how to get just ONE more 4 BBL Holley on my set up..... lol Yup, that's turning into a pretty cool list!
Rob
I'll do all I can for ya rob......lol
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)

As the combinations and usages change ... the so called "pecking order" will also change.

www.rmcompetition.com

R.M. Competition - The finest Custom Engine Building for any venue ... !
Selling Parts and Supplies from companies I use ... 1(586)909-1591

CUSTOM ground camshafts
Carburetor modifications for specific applications
CNC porting

post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcomprandy View Post
As the combinations and usages change ... the so called "pecking order" will also change.
I understand that randy, again though, this is to get the average person into the ballpark for their intended usage. If it is for a vehicle that will see low rpm usage, it should be clear from the list and my description of the list that it is not effective for a single plane or tunnel intake. and it goes both ways, same for a street/strip engine not working well with a cj or performer intake. No person in their right mind should think that the tunnel is good for driving to work, the store, then back home, every day with stock heads, cam, and exhaust. No single manifold is pointed out as the best for any specific situation.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77highboy460 View Post
I understand that randy, again though, this is to get the average person into the ballpark for their intended usage. If it is for a vehicle that will see low rpm usage,
Well, then the pecking order is upside down then. The Port-O-Sonic will make the best torque out of all the production headed single plane manifolds listed. I feel that is more important down low than HP, while still makeing good street/strip power
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt View Post
Well, then the pecking order is upside down then. The Port-O-Sonic will make the best torque out of all the production headed single plane manifolds listed. I feel that is more important down low than HP, while still makeing good street/strip power
The intake that is better for bottom end is at the bottom of the individual list. That is the relation that I explained. Higher end intakes are at the higher end of their lists......
post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77highboy460 View Post
I understand that randy, again though, this is to get the average person into the ballpark for their intended usage. If it is for a vehicle that will see low rpm usage, it should be clear from the list and my description of the list that it is not effective for a single plane or tunnel intake. and it goes both ways, same for a street/strip engine not working well with a cj or performer intake. No person in their right mind should think that the tunnel is good for driving to work, the store, then back home, every day with stock heads, cam, and exhaust. No single manifold is pointed out as the best for any specific situation.
There are a lot of people not "in their right mind" out there who have their own ideas, LOL.

There are TWO tunnel-ram, A 460 manifolds from TFS.

The Blue Thunder, dual-quad manifolds are "dual plane" and they are offered in both standard port size and CJ port size.

There is an FRPP Motorsport A460 manifold and 2 EX514 manifolds for the A460, too. All single planes.

There is a cast, 4 barrel , single plane FRPP Motorsport C460 manifold.

The single plane original Torquer is also missing ... it is not very good at WOT power or anything above 3,000 RPM and is best for gas milage and off idle part throttle driving.

I guess I shouldn't even mention the fairly rare cast manifolds which are out there.

Price Motorsports offeres seveal adapter plates to mount one family of manifolds to another family of cylinder heads.

www.rmcompetition.com

CUSTOM ground camshafts
CNC porting

Last edited by rmcomprandy; 01-03-2011 at 10:23 AM.
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

lol, randy, I wasn't in my right mind either. some would still say I'm not.

so I made the change with the blue thunder, but I had a heck of a time trying to find the other manifolds you mentioned. where can I go to find the prices and such on them? Thank you tons for the additions to the list, I'll get them on as soon as I get the info on them.
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:31 AM

Sorry, I was upside down on the Port-O-Sonic, it was most liked for HP, not torque. Here is some real test infomation, made on a dyno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid View Post
I've included this page unchanged for the original as a service to the BBF community and the page dropped of the web from its original URL. I don't endorse the results and it is not my intention to plagorize the work.

BBF Intake Shootout!
Well, gang, here is the *legal* version of the shootout. I am prevented from publishing actual dyno results, but I'm going to list the intakes in order of WORST to BEST for torque, horsepower, and editor's choice "Best All-Around" 385-series intake. I hope you enjoy the results and you can make use of them!!!

All dyno pulls were run on my C9VE 460 block, bored .030" over, with C8VE heads (same as D0OE) with 2.19/1.8 Ferrea SS valves, Harland Sharp 1.73 roller rockers, and a Lunati flat-tappet camshaft (relatively mild, 06166 grind, 218/218 dur. @ .050" and .527"/.527" lift). The carburetor is your typical Holley 3310 off-the-shelf with NO jet or spring changes. Exhaust consisted of CJ manifolds, from a Torino (D0 casting numbers). I felt this combination best epitomized the "warmed-over" street motor most of us build. Any variations from the basic combination are noted (such as carburetor, most notably). The dyno was a Go-Power measuring from 1500-5500 RPM in 100 RPM/sec increments, that's about all the numerical data that I can divulge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best to Worst, for making TORQUE
Edelbrock SP2P [discontinued]
D2VE Stock
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor) [discontinued]
Weiand Stealth
C8SE Stock
Edelbrock Performer RPM
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Holley)
Edelbrock Performer/Edelbrock Streetmaster [discontinued] (TIE)
D1AE Police Interceptor (4300-D carburetor, 735-cfm)
D0AE Cobra Jet (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor)
Blue Thunder Dual-Quad (tested w/ 2xEdelbrock 500-cfm)
Edelbrock Torker II
Edelbrock Victor 460
Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best to Worst, for making HP
Blue Thunder Dual-Quad (tested w/ 2xEdelbrock 500-cfm)
Edelbrock Victor 460
Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic
Edelbrock Torker II
Weiand Stealth
D0AE Cobra Jet (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor) SURPRISE!
Edelbrock Performer RPM
D1AE Police Interceptor (4300-D carburetor, 735-cfm)
D2VE Stock
C8SE Stock
Edelbrock Streetmaster [discontinued]
Edelbrock Performer
Edelbrock SP2P [discontinued]
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor) [discontinued]
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Holley)

Editor's Choice
for Looks: the Blue Thunder Dual-Quad, but $$$
for HP: Offy Port-O-Sonic, good results and will fit under most hoods
for TORQUE: Weiand Stealth (NO QUESTION...hint, hint)
Best All-Around: Weiand Stealth

Well boys and girls, there it is in black-and-white w/ NO bribery or "urging" from advertisers. I'd like to thank those of you that let me borrow intakes for an EXTENDED period of time, my engine builder who donated time (after hours) on his dyno (thanks Chet!), and those who put up w/ me all hours while swapping intakes! Sorry for lack of pictures, we planned on getting them later but due to aggravating circumstances we just wanted to get the page up and visible to all who were interested in the results!!!

Last edited by Curt; 01-04-2011 at 08:33 AM.
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

I get ya now curt, I will make some more adjustments here this evening after work if I have time. thank you for the help.

chuck
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Adapters?

Yes, Price Motorsports makes some adaptors for the BB Ford. Their adapter that I am aware of, and have used, allows one to install a OEM oval port DOVE/CJ style manifold on A-460 heads. That's all.

I make adapters to install A-460 manifolds such as the TFS, on C-460 heads, and also another set to install A-460 manifolds on Pro-Filer 205 heads.

I also make the spacers required to install the FRPP C-460 intake manifold on Pro-Filer 205 heads.

Hope this helps,

Charlie Evans
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.evans View Post
Yes, Price Motorsports makes some adaptors for the BB Ford. Their adapter that I am aware of, and have used, allows one to install a OEM oval port DOVE/CJ style manifold on A-460 heads. That's all.

I make adapters to install A-460 manifolds such as the TFS, on C-460 heads, and also another set to install A-460 manifolds on Pro-Filer 205 heads.

I also make the spacers required to install the FRPP C-460 intake manifold on Pro-Filer 205 heads.

Hope this helps,
Charlie you missed this one,
Price also makes adapters to install a standard intake manifold on the later F.I. production heads.

www.rmcompetition.com

CUSTOM ground camshafts
CNC porting
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the help guys, keep it coming and I'll keep it updated as much as I can.
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:20 PM

Thank you Randy. You're right, I forgot about that one.

Charlie Evans
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 08:44 AM

How does the new tfs intake stack up here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in