intake manifold pecking order - Page 4 - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70torinocobra View Post
I apoligize for sticking the head gasket question in with my other question. I haven't posted many things on here, and didn't mean to be out of place. Thank you for your answer. I'm still wondering about the Blue Thunder duel plane single carb manifold. I'm building a 545" stroker w/Blue Thunder heads. Dove A block, 4 bolt mains, and I have the Blue Thunder manifold. It will be mostly a street engine in my 1970 Torino Cobra. Of course it will see a dragstrip, if we have any left in Az., on rare occasions. I'm shooting for bottom end and streetability rather than top HP #'s. Thanks to any and all who would know about my manifold.
Best place to post this is in the engine tech forum... You should get an answer there

Damn girl... You look better than a new set of mud tires
1993 f350 38's 5 speed. Toy

521 p51 headed pump gas street motor
639 hp at 5600 rpm
670 ft/lbs at 4300 rpm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Buddy Bar Dual Quad on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
The Blue Thunder dual quad is a replica of a Buddy Bar casting done for the Ford TA program, one of which I had on a 429 in a 69 Mach1. That intake worked very well without a doubt. I had a pair of modified 1850 600vac sec. carbs on it and it had no problem turning 7000 and pulled very hard throughout the rpm range. Awsome intake when matched with the right cam.
There is an original Buddy Bar Dual Quad phototype Intake for sale on ebay for the mere price of $999.99 if someone wants one. I will put the item number in a few minutes if I can find it.
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 01:53 AM

Buddy Bar Dual Quad for sale on Ebay #251288795129

The Ebay item # is 251288795129. It looks to be for regular port size heads, not CJ,SCJ, and it is not mine if you where thinking that way. I am just trying to help other BBF enthaustists find hard to get parts. There where a Couple of Blue Thunder Dual Quads on awhile back that I wanted, both non, and SCJ ports that hit $350ish but did not meet reserve, and where never relisted. I would pay about 350 max if I could afford one, but it is out of my budget for now. Maybe one will come along later after I get the 429 back together? The Carbs are ready and waiting.

post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

The SK42855 dual four intake was designed by Ford in '69. It was not for T/A use as the C.I. limit was 305ci. It is a little known fact that when Ford Engine and Foundry Experimental Enige Dept did a new "performance" engine developement program, several induction types were made. In the case of the 385 series , a 2v , 4 different 4v's, a tripower, and a dual quad were prototyped. The iron manifolds , (the 2v and 3 4v's) were done with XE part numbers as these were developed by the "production" group. The others were done by the "performance group" using SK part numbers. The 4v design went to Shelby, the tripower and dual quad were made in a small run for dyno testing. Holman Moody got permission to use the dual quad pattern for Marine engines and a few larger runs were made. Those amnifolds carry the SK 42855 part number and were all produced as "small port" versions. When Blue Thunder aquired the Shelby 4v pattern and the dual quad pattern they were updated. The tripower was never reproduced and is on of THE rarest 385 series intakes out there.
Other engines like the Boss 429, 351C, Boss 302, had all four variety intakes developed. Heck even the 351m/400 got a 4v aluminum intake made for it. No multi carbs though.
Randy
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good subject. Can I ask the experts how much pressurizing the intake compensates for an intake that may be to small? I have a 460 , ported DOVE heads; ISKY Turbo cam, (not huge) draw through style twin turbo system, 9lbs of boost; fed by a Custom 950 cfm Holley. Motor will turn 6k. but really feels like it has more power at 5k. Can't decide if the week link is in intake or exhaust. I always understood that even a poor flowing intake or exhaust is helped tremendously by the boost. In addition, the back of this motor has richer plug than the front; therefore I am also questioning the quality of the fuel distribution. My builder is telling me a single plain may help a lot; however, this is in a boat and low end power is important also. Keep in mind we don't have gear to shift. Any thoughts?
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Want to stick the Ford Motorsport A460 somewhere in the single plane pecking order? Plenty of them around still.
post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 PM

Some will laugh, some will probably sh!t. But where does the procomp 2x4 intake fit into the pecking order of intakes? Or does it? Its a valid question that needs an answer but most avoid an answer to this Question.
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Matrix Anyone?

Has this thread evolved to the point where it could be summarized in a matrix (or several matrices) so that folks like me could more easily pick the intake manifold that will work best for us?
Or is this variable really separable from cylinder heads, cam and exhaust?
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Very good read Pope, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in