Dropped a 429 into my 70 Mustang today - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Smile Dropped a 429 into my 70 Mustang today

Spent a few hours this afternoon installing a 429 SCJ and C6 in my 70 Mustang project. This was just a practice run with a spare engine and tranny to see what issues I would have making my 547 (which is currently under build - much thanks to Lem Evans!!!!) to fit. I don't want to fix up the car and engine and end up with a bunch of surprises later. It would be a shame to finish the body work and have a nice detailed engine compartment only to have to cut it up an weld it all back together when things don't fit. The car is up on a rotisserie which made it easier - I could raise, lower it, rotate it, etc.

I Used motor mounts similar to the ones Crites sells for a 429 swap into a 67-70Mustang - these have the 429 Boss insulators with the fabricated frame mounts that lower the engine by 1 inch and back toward the firewall 1 inch. It was a royal B--ch! to install, but I had help from my 19 and 21 yo sons and that made it pleasant and worthwhile to do. I had to do some fabrication on both the insulators and frame mounts to make it work. To be honest, I got the Crites immitation frame mounts from Mustangs Unlimited (Crites said they were like 6 weeks behind schedule) and the insulators off E-bay (made in Tiawan). Surprisingly, the Crites price was much lower than the Mustangs Unlimited price, and I bet I wouldn't have had to put the Crites stuff on my milling machine to make it fit. Both places sell these motor mounts for a 429 into a 67 -70 Mustang swap.

So what are the issues? I couldn't lower this engine down to the motor mounts without removing the stock exhaust manifolds. Basically, it got stuck between the shock towers. I plan on using headers on my 547, but both Crites and Ford Powertrain Applications advertise that you can use their headers for a 429 to 70 Mustang application without modifying the shock towers. My practice run shows that clearance is tight, but I was able to remove and install spark plugs without a lot of difficulty and it looks like the radiator and fan will be tight - may have to modify the radiator attachment system on the front of the car or get a shorter water pump. I'm also now sure that I'll have to buy a set of headers from either Crites or Ford Powertrain App. to see if they fit without cutting the towers. I really have my doubts about their claims of fitting without needing to cut or modify.

The other reason I did a practice run is to see where my intake and carb will end up. I plan on running a stock shaker set up, and I want it in the same position its in when it comes from the factory. I don't want to cut up a good shaker hood due to poor planning. It was too late in the day to install a carburetor and shaker to see if the hood fits. I'll get back to you later to let you know if the shaker hood fits as is or if I need to do more modification to the motor mounts.

Did a few high fives with the boys after we finally got it in. Did I tell you it was a B--ch to install? Well, it was. Man, I love the way this engine looks in this car. It's gonna be a bad mo fo!

I'll send some pics later as well. By the way, I'm a novice at this but I figure if I keep at it things will be right in the end. If you think its crazy that I did a practice run then you know how Obsessive-Compulsive I am re details. Jeff J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:05 AM

not sure what your budget is but have you seen the front end kit built by Total Cost Involved featured on GEARZ TV. It allowed Stacey David of Gearz to put a Kaase 429 Boss into a 67 Merc Cougar. It gave him a completely upgraded front end with Rack and Pinion, Upper/Lower Control Arms, Coilovers, Wilwood brakes. Removed the Shock Towers giving you alot of extra room in the engine compartment.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

sounds like it was both fun and challenging. congrats....bobn

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There is something very good to be said about someone as thorough as you... very good job, and well executed!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had a 429/C6 in a '69. The engine/trans was out of a '70 Torino GT. I used the factory Torino motor mounts and factory ex manifolds and everything fit. Nothing was fabricated. If I rmember, there was very little clearance between the steering box and manifold, but it was GTG. The engine sat nice and low and I'm pretty sure I used the factory cross member and trans mount. I had to use a manual brake master cyl, but it worked fine. There is an ex. donut that adapts the manifold from 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" so I was able to run a full 2 1/2" system out the back. It worked very well. I also ran an electric fan. It had a Buddy Bar/Ford Racing dual quad intake and a fiberglass hood so I wasn;t worried about carb/scoop placement. Dual quads sticking out of the hood cought plenty of attention back in 1982.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
STRAUB TECHNOLOGIES

Performance Cylinder Head Specialties
Custom Cams to Complete Engines
Retail/Wholesle parts

423 391 7774

In the madnenss of this world, know the peace of God!

Last edited by steelcomp; 05-22-2011 at 02:33 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Your best bet is to get rid of those stupid shock towers!!
You can open up all kinds of room in there and gain modern steering, brakes and suspension all at once.

As the world turns...I get more dizzy!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Looked up the Total Cost Involved Engineering website and they have complete front end kits for 70 Mustangs. It really looks good. Removes the shock towers, switches to rack and pinion steering, etc. Cost is reasonable.

I think I want to keep my shock towers though to keep the car with that stock appearance. Both Crites and Ford Powertrain Performance claim to make headers that fit on a 460 in a 70 Mustang - think I'll order a set from Crites (they have 2" primary pipes while FPA has something like 1 3/4") and see if I can shoe horn this engine into the car without too much modification to the towers.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 01:48 PM

Cool Option$

Headers and mounts that work.. $750
http://www.mpgheads.com/motor_mount.php

If you want to keep the towers and need dropped spindles call these folks. $1000 brakes included.
http://www.fatmanfab.com/mustang.php

You can always cut the towers back to gain cleareance. $ Time and Materials
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/06/project460/

All for less money. If this is a cruiser that is. This question comes up every now and then and this is best solution I have found that allows you to keep it mostly stock appearing with a lowered stance before coming out of pocket with a hunk.

Later.

Praise The Lord... For the Big Block Ford!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 07:39 AM

Update?

I know its been a couple years. Plenty of drive time. How do the crites headers fit?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I put a 460 in my 69 Mustang. The Crites header fit with no issues. I got the whole header, motor mnts and frame mounts for about $550. Great deal. I had my motor in and out several times with no clearance issues.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 02:27 PM

Had good luck with crites stuff. also just recently i bought a kit from gateway mustang it replaced the upper control arm and spring with a strut and got a notching kit to cut back the shock towers worked well and that is a 69 torino
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 02:58 PM

Have used the Crites II kit. No issues with the mounts or headers other than they needed some clean up. Is easier to drop the engine in and then put the transmission in. If you cut the top core support out you can put the engine and trans in together from the front without much trouble. The one header tube was close to the steering box, but cleared. You do have to clearance the shock tower in a place or two, but Crites will tell you this. May have to drop the idler 3/4" for pan clearance and shim the crossmember 1/8" for same. I used a 1970 PS drag link on mine and the smaller late model starter and did not need to drop the idler.

Just know if your frame or shock towers are off because of past accidents or sagging shock towers you will have fitment issues. Trimming the shock towers back is worthwhile.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:45 AM

I have a 69 mustang with a 429cj and a 4 spd. I used torino 2 piece mounts and the stock trans crossmember. I didn't cut the shock towers and I have all stock suspension. I used tubular automotive headers 1-7/8 dia. I have plenty of room for a flex fan and power brake booster. of coarse changing plugs is a challenge but not impossible. I changed the power steering over to manual because theres no room for the slave cylinder with headers. I also have the stock z-bar for the clutch not a cable conversion. I did massage the firewall a little around the top of the trans bellhousing to get the bolts out easier.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:40 PM

I need more information about the Torino 2 piece mounts QUOTE=rizzo racing;1330338]I have a 69 mustang with a 429cj and a 4 spd. I used torino 2 piece mounts and the stock trans crossmember. I didn't cut the shock towers and I have all stock suspension. I used tubular
automotive headers 1-7/8 dia. I have plenty of room for a flex fan and power brake booster. of coarse changing plugs is a challenge but not impossible. I changed the power steering over to manual because theres no room for the slave cylinder with headers. I also have the stock z-bar for the clutch not a cable conversion. I did massage the firewall a little around the top of the trans bellhousing to get the bolts out easier.

[/QUOTE]
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Garage
The C8SE short water pump came on 68-69 Thunderbirds. The trouble is it was the stock pump for Boss 429 Mustangs, which makes them a little pricey. Either that or trim your rad support and use a regular 429-460 pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in