557" AFR 300's Street build 750+ HP @ 6,100 - Page 3 - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

 10Likes
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Unread 07-03-2018, 08:52 PM
Senior Member
 
bob460's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Porter View Post
Thank you,


After splitting the number 5 cylinder (even with a good sonic check) we upgraded to an A460 block and a bit more HR cam timing for 829 HP


https://www.facebook.com/pg/PpamLLC/...44764065901276



S
MP do you think there would be any gains using the HUC lobes with .720 lift in this combo?

Cheers, Bob
bob460 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 46 (permalink) Unread 07-04-2018, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
The Mad Porter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA.
Posts: 8,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob460 View Post
MP do you think there would be any gains using the HUC lobes with .720 lift in this combo?

Cheers, Bob

Given that those lift numbers are generated with a 1.8 rocker and that I used 1.8 rockers on the XM lobes in that engine with near .700" lift I don't know that there would be significant gains. The HUC lobes are only .372" where the XM lobes I used were .380". I sacrificed some lift for better valve train geometry.


S

Scotty J. "AKA" The "Mad Porter"
"EMC 2006" 3rd place finisher
Ported BBF iron head specialist & Aluminum heads from all sources.
Custom ground cams
See our products in the Vendor for sale section
Customized crate engines
ParklandAutoMachine.com
R-H-P.biz
"Parkland Performance Auto Machine" Formerly RHP
(253)-988-6648
http://www.facebook.com/Ppamllc
The Mad Porter is offline  
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Unread 07-04-2018, 12:59 AM
Senior Member
 
bob460's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Porter View Post
Given that those lift numbers are generated with a 1.8 rocker and that I used 1.8 rockers on the XM lobes in that engine with near .700" lift I don't know that there would be significant gains. The HUC lobes are only .372" where the XM lobes I used were .380". I sacrificed some lift for better valve train geometry.


S
I was talking about the HUC #13065 .. 259 .400 .720......but i hear what your saying.

I'm really liking the idea of hyd cam/solid lifter deal for the street, but since i recieved my solid roller cam which Randy Malik did for me, i might look at the dual conical valve springs by comp cams.

Do you think its worth porting the p-51 and doing 2.3" valve or not worth it?

Cheers, Bob
bob460 is offline  
 
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Unread 07-04-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
The Mad Porter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA.
Posts: 8,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob460 View Post
I was talking about the HUC #13065 .. 259 .400 .720......but i hear what your saying.

I'm really liking the idea of hyd cam/solid lifter deal for the street, but since i recieved my solid roller cam which Randy Malik did for me, i might look at the dual conical valve springs by comp cams.

Do you think its worth porting the p-51 and doing 2.3" valve or not worth it?

Cheers, Bob
Absolutely! Installing a 2.3" intake in the P-51's with the requisite bowl work is a no brainer.

I've been keeping my eye on that spring set up as well. One does not need as much spring pressure for a given lobe profile.

I went back to my comp lobe master PDF and I misread the lobe lift. My bad. Additional lift and better cylinder filling could be worth a bit of power yes...


S
Shawn01754 likes this.

Scotty J. "AKA" The "Mad Porter"
"EMC 2006" 3rd place finisher
Ported BBF iron head specialist & Aluminum heads from all sources.
Custom ground cams
See our products in the Vendor for sale section
Customized crate engines
ParklandAutoMachine.com
R-H-P.biz
"Parkland Performance Auto Machine" Formerly RHP
(253)-988-6648
http://www.facebook.com/Ppamllc

Last edited by The Mad Porter; 07-04-2018 at 01:55 PM.
The Mad Porter is offline  
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Unread 07-04-2018, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
bob460's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Porter View Post
Absolutely! Installing a 2.3" intake in the P-51's with the requisite bowl work is a no brainer.

I've been keeping my eye on that spring set up as well. One does not need as much spring pressure for a given lobe profile.

I went back to my comp lobe master PDF and I misread the lobe lift. My bad. Additional lift and better cylinder filling could be worth a bit of power yes...


S
Thanks MP, looks like my p-51 will get a make over.....lol, have a real good head guy down here to do the work, he just did a killer cleveland head which made 930 hp...small block 460ci pump gas street build.

Will also look into a hollow stem 2.3" valve also.

Here is good test on those springs.......

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/dyno-...valve-springs/

Cheers, Bob
bob460 is offline  
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Unread 07-05-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
The Mad Porter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA.
Posts: 8,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob460 View Post
Thanks MP, looks like my p-51 will get a make over.....lol, have a real good head guy down here to do the work, he just did a killer cleveland head which made 930 hp...small block 460ci pump gas street build.

Will also look into a hollow stem 2.3" valve also.

Here is good test on those springs.......

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/dyno-...valve-springs/

Cheers, Bob

Thank you Bob I am familiar with that article...

With the larger intake valve and requisite bowl work those heads will move a ton of air.



S

Scotty J. "AKA" The "Mad Porter"
"EMC 2006" 3rd place finisher
Ported BBF iron head specialist & Aluminum heads from all sources.
Custom ground cams
See our products in the Vendor for sale section
Customized crate engines
ParklandAutoMachine.com
R-H-P.biz
"Parkland Performance Auto Machine" Formerly RHP
(253)-988-6648
http://www.facebook.com/Ppamllc
The Mad Porter is offline  
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Unread 12-13-2018, 07:00 AM
Senior Member
 
bob460's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
 
MP when is a good time to change/rebuild lifters.........miles wise in this build and also the valve springs?

Cheers, Bob
bob460 is offline  
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Unread 12-13-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
The Mad Porter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA.
Posts: 8,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob460 View Post
MP when is a good time to change/rebuild lifters.........miles wise in this build and also the valve springs?

Cheers, Bob

Bob,

When using the milder ramp rates of the HR lobes and the attendant spring pressures the SR lifters have a very good service life. I've been running the comp pin oiled roller lifters in my LTD now for over 5 years and 12k miles with NO issues. It sees 6500 to 6700 rpm when needed to put the puddle jumpers and camaros in their places. lol

Keeping lash tight is critical. If the engine is not picking up lash just do regular service and keep an eye out for the unusual.

In the higher HP combos that we do for the street (700 to 850) I recommend inspection every 2 years just to be safe.


SJ
bob460 likes this.

Scotty J. "AKA" The "Mad Porter"
"EMC 2006" 3rd place finisher
Ported BBF iron head specialist & Aluminum heads from all sources.
Custom ground cams
See our products in the Vendor for sale section
Customized crate engines
ParklandAutoMachine.com
R-H-P.biz
"Parkland Performance Auto Machine" Formerly RHP
(253)-988-6648
http://www.facebook.com/Ppamllc
The Mad Porter is offline  
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Unread 12-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Senior Member
 
bob460's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
 
Thanks MP

I found a build on the chevelle site 496ci 10.2 comp iron heads, using hydraulic roller 243/249 .617 lift...........using solid lifters, BUT spring pressure was 220 seat and 550 open..............made 698 at 6300rpm.

He said to swap out lifters at 10-15k.

Just found it interesting on the spring pressure compared to this build.

Cheers, Bob
bob460 is offline  
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Unread 12-13-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
The Mad Porter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA.
Posts: 8,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob460 View Post
Thanks MP

I found a build on the chevelle site 496ci 10.2 comp iron heads, using hydraulic roller 243/249 .617 lift...........using solid lifters, BUT spring pressure was 220 seat and 550 open..............made 698 at 6300rpm.

He said to swap out lifters at 10-15k.

Just found it interesting on the spring pressure compared to this build.

Cheers, Bob
With the Extreme marine lobes I've been using 160 to 175 seat and 460 open. That is fine for 6000 to 6500 rpm. Pac 1940 spring on the AFR heads. Remember the 557 made 830 @ only 6,200 rpm and pulls hard to 6,500.

The springs on the 460 referenced are more like the solid roller springs for the comp EX street roller lobes. More than needed unless he is really twisting it.


SJ

Scotty J. "AKA" The "Mad Porter"
"EMC 2006" 3rd place finisher
Ported BBF iron head specialist & Aluminum heads from all sources.
Custom ground cams
See our products in the Vendor for sale section
Customized crate engines
ParklandAutoMachine.com
R-H-P.biz
"Parkland Performance Auto Machine" Formerly RHP
(253)-988-6648
http://www.facebook.com/Ppamllc
The Mad Porter is offline  
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Unread 12-14-2018, 02:56 AM
Senior Member
 
bob460's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Porter View Post
With the Extreme marine lobes I've been using 160 to 175 seat and 460 open. That is fine for 6000 to 6500 rpm. Pac 1940 spring on the AFR heads. Remember the 557 made 830 @ only 6,200 rpm and pulls hard to 6,500.

The springs on the 460 referenced are more like the solid roller springs for the comp EX street roller lobes. More than needed unless he is really twisting it.


SJ
MP you had a chance to test a torker ll on any afr builds yet?

Cheers, Bob
bob460 is offline  
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Unread 12-14-2018, 08:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Porter View Post
Bob,

When using the milder ramp rates of the HR lobes and the attendant spring pressures the SR lifters have a very good service life. I've been running the comp pin oiled roller lifters in my LTD now for over 5 years and 12k miles with NO issues. It sees 6500 to 6700 rpm when needed to put the puddle jumpers and camaros in their places. lol

Keeping lash tight is critical. If the engine is not picking up lash just do regular service and keep an eye out for the unusual.

In the higher HP combos that we do for the street (700 to 850) I recommend inspection every 2 years just to be safe.


SJ
Scott, we set the lash as per the cam card which wound up being .017 cold. Is that tight enough? (It's the 252/266 HR cam you supplied).
StephenW is offline  
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Unread 12-14-2018, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
The Mad Porter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA.
Posts: 8,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenW View Post
Scott, we set the lash as per the cam card which wound up being .017 cold. Is that tight enough? (It's the 252/266 HR cam you supplied).
NO !!!


The cam card is wrong. HR lobes with aluminum heads are set at 0 lash cold and open to about .005" hot.

Iron heads are set at .007" cold and the lash tightens as the engine warms.

I remember discussing this with you and giving you instruction. I am sorry the cam grinder made a mistake. Please sort this out immediately. I am going to address this in a moment.

Follow up. that lash number is a default in the cam doctor when solid roller lifters are chosen. I have impressed upon Scotty the need to follow my instructions when combining HR with SR lifters.



SJ

Scotty J. "AKA" The "Mad Porter"
"EMC 2006" 3rd place finisher
Ported BBF iron head specialist & Aluminum heads from all sources.
Custom ground cams
See our products in the Vendor for sale section
Customized crate engines
ParklandAutoMachine.com
R-H-P.biz
"Parkland Performance Auto Machine" Formerly RHP
(253)-988-6648
http://www.facebook.com/Ppamllc

Last edited by The Mad Porter; 12-14-2018 at 11:30 AM.
The Mad Porter is offline  
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Unread 12-14-2018, 05:13 PM
Senior Member
 
bob460's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
 
He did 1000+ miles in drag week down under running low 11's...................Hope he didn't hurt anything running that loose of lash!!

Cheers, Bob
bob460 is offline  
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Unread 12-15-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
The Mad Porter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA.
Posts: 8,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob460 View Post
He did 1000+ miles in drag week down under running low 11's...................Hope he didn't hurt anything running that loose of lash!!

Cheers, Bob
Not likely as I've run .012" hot on my car. Given that the HR lobes do not have the lash ramps that a solid roller does it is best to keep lash very tight.



SJ

Scotty J. "AKA" The "Mad Porter"
"EMC 2006" 3rd place finisher
Ported BBF iron head specialist & Aluminum heads from all sources.
Custom ground cams
See our products in the Vendor for sale section
Customized crate engines
ParklandAutoMachine.com
R-H-P.biz
"Parkland Performance Auto Machine" Formerly RHP
(253)-988-6648
http://www.facebook.com/Ppamllc
The Mad Porter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome