Is my plan reasonable? - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

5Likes
  • 5 Post By MrScharfenberger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Is my plan reasonable?

Hello folks,

I've got a 73 F-100 that I've been fiddling with for awhile and my GT-40 headed 302 isn't as exciting as it used to be (struggling for one-leggers in no bueno). I've got some studying to do, but I think a 460 will help make the old truck fun again. I drive the truck alot on and off highway and I'd like to try some drag racing. It'd be neat to break into the 12's.

The truck currently weighs 3800 lbs with me in it, will have 3.70 gears and a locker, I plan to run some 30x9" slicks. I'll probably use a c6 with a modified stock torque converter.

I've found a few 460 c6 combos for sale near me with d0ve-c heads in the $400 range. I'm thinking that the 450ish HP combo from the FAQ will get me where I want to be. I'm hoping not to spend much more than a couple grand doing all of the work myself (save for the machine work). Does this seem like a reasonable goal and approach?

Thanks in advance,
Mighty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3664.jpg (20.4 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I've got a similar setup and I have trouble getting into the 13's in the quarter , I have Eddy heads and mild cam and the problem is getting the truck to hookup. Being a pickup there's not much weight in the *** so it slides around a lot and I'm only running a 3.25 axle. Using the bigger slicks might help, I run 26x15's.
Keep us posted on your project.
J.

1956 Ford F100...466/C6, Edelbrock aluminum heads and Preformer intake w/750cfm carb, Comp. cam , H/S roller rockers, MSD lighter, KB flat top pistons, Currie rear end, B & M shifter, tubbed, Ididit column
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 175 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty_hare View Post
Hello folks,

I've got a 73 F-100 that I've been fiddling with for awhile and my GT-40 headed 302 isn't as exciting as it used to be (struggling for one-leggers in no bueno). I've got some studying to do, but I think a 460 will help make the old truck fun again. I drive the truck alot on and off highway and I'd like to try some drag racing. It'd be neat to break into the 12's.

The truck currently weighs 3800 lbs with me in it, will have 3.70 gears and a locker, I plan to run some 30x9" slicks. I'll probably use a c6 with a modified stock torque converter.

I've found a few 460 c6 combos for sale near me with d0ve-c heads in the $400 range. I'm thinking that the 450ish HP combo from the FAQ will get me where I want to be. I'm hoping not to spend much more than a couple grand doing all of the work myself (save for the machine work). Does this seem like a reasonable goal and approach?

Thanks in advance,
Mighty
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post
I've got a similar setup and I have trouble getting into the 13's in the quarter , I have Eddy heads and mild cam and the problem is getting the truck to hookup. Being a pickup there's not much weight in the *** so it slides around a lot and I'm only running a 3.25 axle. Using the bigger slicks might help, I run 26x15's.
Keep us posted on your project.
J.
If all you guys are doing is bolting slicks on the rear for traction it isn't going to work real well. All your going to do is turn the leaf spring into a big S shape before it jumps around & unloads. At the bare minimum you should hav a good set of traction bars to help keep the leaf spring from turning into an S. I used to drag race a 1974 F100 loing bed & I had a set of ladder bars up under my truck. It worked great & launched well.

Send Questions To: [email protected]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I figured that I'll at least need to fab up some slapper bars. That long bed is no joke. Thanks for the input.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 175 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty_hare View Post
I figured that I'll at least need to fab up some slapper bars. That long bed is no joke. Thanks for the input.
I forgot to mention that I think you will need to 500 to 550 HP to reach your goal of 11 second 1/4 mile times. I don't think you will hit 11's with only 450 HP in a 1973 F100. You have to remember that thing isn't a sleek car. It has the aerodynamics of a brick. It is going to take a good amount of HP to keep that thing accelerating hard into triple digits. The air is going to push back hard once you get up to speed. It is going to take a lot of HP to counteract that force.

Send Questions To: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in