Would like your $.02 - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By muzz
  • 1 Post By muzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Would like your $.02

Visited the site many times but finally found a good deal on a 466 and decided to make a profile and get your 2 cents on what you would do if you were in my shoes. So I guess I'll start out with what i got, then my initial plans, and what its going in etc

The engine is currently installed in the sellers car and I test drove it before it was pulled. Car ran super strong but I'm still going to have my engine guy tear it down due to the rear main leaking a bit of oil and my paranoia. So hopefully it won't need more than 5 to 800 bucks in bearing and gaskets etc. But before i resign myself to just that it might be a good time to make a few other changes before it's installed in my car.

The engine was described as being a d1ve block, 3.85 stock cast crank, truck rods with arp bolts, frpp dampner, trw forged pistons (originally 12.5 to 1 but milled down to be 11.5 to 1ish), 8qt milodon pan w/windage tray, d0ve heads (gasket match port on both sides with a little extra work on the exhaust side, along with 2.24 intake valves and 1.72 exhaust), headman headers (I'll have to get back to you on the specifics there but I believe they are 2" primaries and maybe a 3" collector?), weiand stealth 8012 intake, and the cam installed is a lunati with solid flat tappet lifters (.560\.580 lift, .310 duration with a lobe seperation of 110).

I think that about covers the engine as its currently assembled according to the seller, of course that could change when it gets pulled apart but he seemed like a pretty good guy. He also threw in a comp cam (roughly .530 lift, hydraulic lfiter, will have more details later) and I opted to not buy the 750cfm carb as I had read on here that these engines seem to like the bigger carbs with dual plane intakes and a minimum of 850 seems to be recommended. He also left the clutch, bellhousing, flywheel etc on for a toploader.

This motor came out of a 73 mach 1 and i intend to put it in my 71 mach 1. I'm very tempted to use a big spline top loader that I know is laying on the garage floor down the road from me but I'm also playing around with the idea of buying a stouter 5 speed like a tko600 for the extra highway gear being that my car has a 9" with 3.89 to 1 gear ratio.

My goal is to essentially have a motor i can paint ford blue and pass off vaguely as a 429 scj with ram air in my mach, maybe do a couple passes down the strip when i go to a big show in columbus or to the woodward dream cruise next year but mostly just something to race around the country roads in my hometown, accrue tickets, and help myself get real well known with the local tire shop. I'm not too concerned with a rough idle, I kind of like having a hot car for the street and struggling to keep it alive at stop lights etc. If I get 450-500Hp I'd be pretty happy, but if there's an easy way to not leave another 100 on the table I don't want to miss it. So please let me know what you would do if you were in my shoes.

I'm hoping I didn't make the rookie mistake of posting in the wrong section or leaving out some crucial info but if so just let me know, I'll do what I can to fix it. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)

You are around that 400+hp level now. Unfortunately it costs quite a bit to start making more power than that. Put it in and have fun with it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Since we're spending your money, I would get some aluminum heads with matching pistons for a pump gas compression ratio. Leave the Top Loader on the floor where it is, and get the 5 speed. You will not regret it. I would also change intakes, but I'll let others decide which would be best. OK, what are we up to, about 6 thousand bucks?

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

As a Michigan resident if you think you will be racing around at the WDC forget it. Most car guys I know stay away on Saturday because they don't like driving around with their foot on the brake.
Good luck with your build,
J.

1956 Ford F100...466/C6, Edelbrock aluminum heads and Preformer intake w/750cfm carb, Comp. cam , H/S roller rockers, MSD lighter, KB flat top pistons, Currie rear end, B & M shifter, tubbed, Ididit column
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 175 Post(s)

What did you mill to get the compression down? The pistons?

Send Questions To: [email protected]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1971 View Post
You are around that 400+hp level now. Unfortunately it costs quite a bit to start making more power than that. Put it in and have fun with it.
Solid advice, I honestly can't wait to finally have big block in the car and have the 302 on the engine stand lol.
Fordman1971 likes this.

Last edited by muzz; 08-27-2018 at 05:15 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus66 View Post
Since we're spending your money, I would get some aluminum heads with matching pistons for a pump gas compression ratio. Leave the Top Loader on the floor where it is, and get the 5 speed. You will not regret it. I would also change intakes, but I'll let others decide which would be best. OK, what are we up to, about 6 thousand bucks?
I can see that being an easy 6k lol, aluminum heads may be in the future someday, on a different motor possibly but yeah my budget isn't quite that high at the moment. I was able to pick this motor up running for 1500, so I feel like I'm on the right end of it in that regards in case it does need some work. And yes that 5 speed is seeming more and more attractive as I start looking at drag strips and shows I'd like to go to. I'll go back and edit my original post, maybe clean it up a bit and add a rough budget. Thanks
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post
As a Michigan resident if you think you will be racing around at the WDC forget it. Most car guys I know stay away on Saturday because they don't like driving around with their foot on the brake.
Good luck with your build,
J.
I think I may have been confused, for some reason I thought a nearby dragstrip hosted grudge matches for woodward but I may be mistaking that with the goodguys show in columbus. Haven't had a chance to make it to WDC though and it's one of the events I'd really like to participate in someday. Funny story, Don Garlits actually made fun of my dad long before I was born as he was working on his 32 deuce because it was overheating in the registration line ha.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
What did you mill to get the compression down? The pistons?
It's my understanding that the original owner had some dome pistons in it at 12.5 to 1 and then had them milled down a bit to make it more streetable at 11.5 ish to 1. Of course the only evidence I have of this is the word of the seller, as of now I have no reason to doubt him but I'll update the post etc as I learn things during the tear down.
veryhugedata likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
It's my understanding that the original owner had some dome pistons in it at 12.5 to 1 and then had them milled down a bit to make it more streetable at 11.5 ish to 1. Of course the only evidence I have of this is the word of the seller, as of now I have no reason to doubt him but I'll update the post etc as I learn things during the tear down.

Sounds just perfect for a 150 shot of juice. Install the NoS Plate kit under the carb, and run an extra fuel system that gives e-85 along with the NoS! Cheap way to get that extra 150 HP, and Big blocks love it !!!

Enjoy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Sounds just perfect for a 150 shot of juice. Install the NoS Plate kit under the carb, and run an extra fuel system that gives e-85 along with the NoS! Cheap way to get that extra 150 HP, and Big blocks love it !!!

Enjoy...

That's not a bad idea at all, and the more I think about it the more I like it. But just so I'm understanding you correctly, my main fuel tank would have high test in it, then I'd have a second smaller cell with e85? Or should I move over to e85 entirely?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in