Switching to a '92 starter on a '69... - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Switching to a '92 starter on a '69...

My starter is beginning to act up. ...even when cold. So I looked at the '92 truck starter. It has the solenoid on the starter. So I'm going to ask a basic/dumb question... I assume that I need to circumvent my current solenoid and run a new battery cable and ignition wire to the solenoid on the starter? Or is there some other simpler method that I am missing?

Thanks,

Mark

P.S I did look at the Powermaster replacement. It looks like they are only good to 10:1 CR. The '69 is 10.5:1 However I thought that I read that people were using them and they worked fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I am using a cheap a Autozone starter on my 15-1 598. It spins great. I told them I have a 93 F250 7.5 liter. But I have a crank trigger with the timing locked out and use a start retard in the MSD box The engine will kick back and break the starter every time unless I start the engine from a flooded condition. I have a switch to leave the Ignition off start cranking pump the pedal twice then crack the throttle turn on the ignition and it starts without kicking back. I just put my engine back together and I forgot to turn off the switch. Pow back to Autozone !! I am on the third starter in 12 years Lifetime warranty They don't bat an eye. I do take a spare starter to the track.

I have an issue with my wiring. When I hooked up the start wire to the solenoid on the starter it would not engage but it will activate the starter relay on the fender so I left it connected to the starter relay and ran a wire from the starter relay to the solenoid and works fine. been that way 12 years

Pat
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ford-Mi...IAAOSw4Q5bEGJX
Can't beat these for the price...or any price really. Move your starter cable over to the battery side of the orig solenoid,connect a 12,14 ga wire where the cable used to be to the trigger post on the new starter solenoid.You need to keep the 12v to coil on start function of the orig solenoid so don't eliminate it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I'm looking at doing the same thing, my 69 original starter is 9 tooth where as all the mini or gear reduction starters I see for this year are 10 tooth. The Mad Porter runs I think the same 1992 truck starter (Remy brand) you are looking at on his 72. I assume the 10 tooth will mesh with the fly wheel I'd guess because maybe the gear on the starter is larger diameter but I don't really know. Just FYI.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)

Garage
I went through the stock starter let down this year myself, and installed one of the starters in the link below in my car and it's a night and day difference. Cranks over my 11:1 528 like there's no plugs in the engine, hot or cold. I like it enough that I've added them to my line of "house brand" parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20240401629...84.m1555.l2649

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-train View Post
My starter is beginning to act up. ...even when cold. So I looked at the '92 truck starter. It has the solenoid on the starter. So I'm going to ask a basic/dumb question... I assume that I need to circumvent my current solenoid and run a new battery cable and ignition wire to the solenoid on the starter? Or is there some other simpler method that I am missing?

Thanks,

Mark

P.S I did look at the Powermaster replacement. It looks like they are only good to 10:1 CR. The '69 is 10.5:1 However I thought that I read that people were using them and they worked fine.
lol, where did you get your info, we have 16to1 engs with power masters on them, for years now

RICH
CIRCLE (R) 815 712 8738
--------------------------------
BUY,SELL, or TRADE BBF parts
Dynoed or Test STAND RAN
CYLINDER HEAD PORTING
HEAD FLOWING
COMPLETE ENGINES avb
From STOCK to NOT
PRO SYSTEMS CARBS
BOSS 302 351 429 800CI+
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

That's what it lists under the started specs on the Summit page. ..."good to 10:1 CR". Like I said, I thought that I recall that guys were using it.

Mark
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am using one of those DB electronics starters on my ranchero w/460 and it works great. Well worth the time and money (great price) to convert!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

So I had purchased the '92 truck starter. I finally installed it the other day. I had just run a 10ga. jumper wire from the input (hot side that is coming from the existing solenoid on the fender) of the new solenoid to the small input to the new solenoid itself. Works like a charm. I used 10ga based upon the spec sheet's current draw of the solenoid itself.

The cable itself was BARELY long enough to bolt to the new starter. I had to work that thru the existing hold-down bolted to the engine mount. ...never a simple solution.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Mark
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-train View Post
So I had purchased the '92 truck starter. I finally installed it the other day. I had just run a 10ga. jumper wire from the input (hot side that is coming from the existing solenoid on the fender) of the new solenoid to the small input to the new solenoid itself. Works like a charm. I used 10ga based upon the spec sheet's current draw of the solenoid itself.

The cable itself was BARELY long enough to bolt to the new starter. I had to work that thru the existing hold-down bolted to the engine mount. ...never a simple solution.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Mark

waste of time

RICH
CIRCLE (R) 815 712 8738
--------------------------------
BUY,SELL, or TRADE BBF parts
Dynoed or Test STAND RAN
CYLINDER HEAD PORTING
HEAD FLOWING
COMPLETE ENGINES avb
From STOCK to NOT
PRO SYSTEMS CARBS
BOSS 302 351 429 800CI+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in