First Post - looking at 1997 F350 - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By causticuc

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First Post - looking at 1997 F350

Hi everyone, just registered.

just looked at a 97 today with 128k. Fresh trans rebuild and transfer case.

Anyhow, owner says it drips a bit. I crawled under and noticed a drop of engine oil hanging off the bellhousing. It is parked nose up, so I imagine all leaks would end up there. Being that the transmission was just rebuilt, can we rule out rear main?

What are the other common sources? Oil pressure sending unit, top left bellhousing bolt, etc? Trying to determine how easy or difficult it will be to fix.

Truck drives decent from what I can tell. my last trucks were 6.0 powerstroke, 5.4 s/c, and 4.2 v6. So I wasnt sure what to expect with the 460 in a cclb. gears feel tall, especially for a 350.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Common source on my 97 7.5L are the valve covers, however mine has only 31k mi. (Changing the gaskets soon)

Did need the transfer case fluid changed though as most of those miles were with a camper and pulling a boat with a few thousand pounds of fuel.

The only other leak I have is my water pump is weeping from a crack along a casting seam. I've noticed this issue come up in a few searches, but not sure how common it is.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
aceniza likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by causticuc View Post
Common source on my 97 7.5L are the valve covers, however mine has only 31k mi. (Changing the gaskets soon)

Did need the transfer case fluid changed though as most of those miles were with a camper and pulling a boat with a few thousand pounds of fuel.

The only other leak I have is my water pump is weeping from a crack along a casting seam. I've noticed this issue come up in a few searches, but not sure how common it is.

Thanks. Maybe I should ask "What's the worst possible leak" lol

This could be a deciding factor of whether I buy this or not. Do not want a nightmare of a drip messing up my driveway. My wife, specifically. She's not very enthused over the truck purchase

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:24 PM

The worst possible leak? One that comes from a cracked block.

It is heat that kills these engines, so other than messing up your wife's driveway with a work/hauling vehicle, coolant leaks are fairly serious. So the cooling system deserves an extra look, especially if the radiator has been changed, you will want to know why.

Run the VIN to find out the gearing and if it's what you want. Mine is a manual 4.10 as it was ordered just to go fishing with.

If you are not hauling all the time, you will want a faster, more economical ratio.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

The door sticker says, and I don't doubt it after driving it.... C9 which is 3.55 LSD. Holy cow that's a tall gear.

Going to 35s or possibly 37s would necessitate a gear swap, no way around it. That's a pretty penny for an inexpensive truck

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:31 PM

Well that's faster than me, fully loaded I pull 60ish mph max.

And a lovely 80ish mpg.

Either of those ratios will be faster and more efficient than mine. If you are pulling a heavy trailer once in a while, dropping 5000lbs in the box, or have a camper all summer, that ratio is a good compromise.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:34 PM

Oh, and as you might already know: the Cali version means it is mass airflow, federal is speed density.

I am searching for a cali computer and harness for mine, however I am fairly far from california.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in