Cam Options? - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cam Options?

I am currently building my first motor and at that a 460! I could use all the advice possible.

It will we placed in a Model A Street/Rat Rod backed by a C6 and follow through to a 9" with 2.70ish gears (Thats what the guy i bought it from said the ID tag read). Total car weight will be 3000lbs max loaded.

Current Dilemma... I went to go put the rotating assembly in this evening and realized that I should probably get the cam first to make it easier to fish in...

Stock Crank - Fresh polish
Truck Rods
Stock Bore
D3VE Heads ( will eventually port the heads in accordance with Reincarnation Automotive, but prior to putting them one)
FM Flat Top Pistons.
Pump Gas is a Must(91 is ok)
POSSIBLE tunnel ram (it would add to the aesthetics)

I want it to be something that I can hop in and drive whenever I want but have some power too. I am on a budget due to deploying to Afghanistan next June and planning to have the car street legal by the first of the year and the car itself is nowhere near done yet. One day it will have a pair of Boss heads on it but that's a few years down the road and partially the reason I don't want to go to crazy now. With that being said, what kind/size cam should I go with?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T-Bone.jpg (95.0 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I'm mainly just bumping this one because I don't have the knowledge to help you much and I'd like to see what is suggested given I have a somewhat similar engine build and driver expectations.
My build:
69 galaxie 3600lbs.
521 9.75:1 compression.
Stock ported 4bl maniflod & P.I. heads.
Lunati voodoo i forget the numbers but it's 227/233 @ 50
C6 2100 stall
2.75:1 rear gears with eaton true trac.
Expectations: 91 octain street driven go anywhere.

I like my choice of cam wish the car were a bit "snappier" just putting around off the line but it does well if you get into it, will definatley spin and slide sidwayz a bit.
The engine loves the highway and still pulls good at 90 mph believe it or not. It will cruze 85mph all day long.
Had it up past 100 pbly do 150 if I were suicidal (at 100mph starts to float similar to driving a boat).
Anyway you asked about cam specs so that's what I know.

Good luck.
Scott.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

First build

You could refer to several or the builds archived here there are plenty of options for what you are doing.

You combination as a starting point at .030 bore on a 460 puts you in 9.25 to 1 compression ratio which gives you a fair amount of options.

Your cylinder heads untouched with a decent valve job will give you a good baseline for a really torquey street motor.
Porting done right based on Scott at reincarnations information makes sense if you want to grow. He's spent a long time working these iron pieces and really has helped to take the guess work out of porting.

Your Model A will be very light so you won't need a lot of cam. Any off the shelf such as a comp cams extreme energy series an xe256 or xe 262 would be plenty. The 4x4 version with a slightly higher lobe separation angle may benefit your torque curve and port velocity if you intend to run the tunnel ram.

I would consider a bit more gearing though maybe in the 3.50 range.

If you opt for the tunnel ram you will need very small carbs set up right and you will likely lose some low end driveability but I get the aesthetics.

There are tons of people here that have built similar combos and can give you much guidance.
Review the section on the proven engine builds here.
And by the way thanks for your serving our country.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:58 AM

Stroker response

Scott,
Your stroker motor in your combo can use a much different cam combo than the 460 build particularly if your head work is done well.
It sounds like your current combo is a great driving street combo that really could use a gear change to really wake things up since your car is pretty heavy. 3.50 to 3.90 gears would probably change things drastically and still give you all the highway driveability you need.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I've been thinking the same thing Jon D in regards to gearing. I'm planning on a lot of highway driving but have been considering a bit of a gear change. A little more snap at a stop sign would feel good.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:44 PM

The gear change will make a huge difference in all around driving.
It won't hurt your highway driving either it will have more of a sweet spot in your mid range.
Your stroke and cam combo should really have a great mid range pull and gears in that 350 -390 range should be a big improvement all around for a car that heavy.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the reply. I was starting to get worried that this forum may not be that active.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 05:40 AM

With your posted combination and the desire to run a tunnel ram look for a pair of 390 cfm holley carbs that may help your driveability and give your ride the wow factor your looking for.

There are tons of resources here and some of the guys may not respond because many of your answers are hidden somewhere in the sites archives and the questions may be basic for many of the longtime members since they know where to look for them.

Spend sometime looking and searching the site there really are countless years of invaluable information here that will save you tons of time.

When you really get stumped some of the best will chime in!

I'm a former hobby racer who has worked on everything from Top Fuel dragsters , run drag bikes, cars and did some local stock car stuff and a ton of other stuff who has spent 20 years now raising a family and now that my 17 year old has sparked an interest in some of my former passions so we will start some projects like you.

Hence the reason I have become a new member here.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 05:42 AM

Bare in mind many of these guys have jobs and families etc. so they can't always respond right away but if you watch the number of views they are looking.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Bare in mind many of these guys have jobs and families etc. so they can't always respond right away but if you watch the number of views they are looking.
I see that now. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in