7.5l coolant issue - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By slowride
  • 1 Post By forestg
  • 1 Post By slowride

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

7.5l coolant issue

So I just picked up a 92 F350 with a blown head gasket. That’s what I was told. I was hoping it was the oil cooler. So I drained the oil with about 2 gallons of coolant in it and there’s oil in the radiator. I refilled the oil but I did not add any coolant. Truck only starts with gas and runs very rough. After running for a few seconds ( no coolant) I was looking around and found water coming out between the exhaust manifold and head. Does that sound like a gasket or cracked head? I’ve read many posts about one or the other but not both and no mention of water around the exhaust port.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

HI, The only way oil and water can mix it throu a bad head gasket or intake gasket or a cracked head or block.. The oil cooler ONLY contains oil and no connection to the coolant it just runs the oil thru the little radiator to cool it.
good luck
tim

61 Comet W/200
http://s82.photobucket.com/user/peda...tml?sort=6&o=0
64 International 4dr. truck w/545 stroker
http://s82.photobucket.com/user/peda...tml?sort=6&o=0
76 Plymouth fury, 76 Olds, 84 Ranger and 56 CJ5
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

some oil coolers use coolant

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Quick search showed 7.5l's had coolant oil filter (sandwich) coolers starting in 1992 and failures are common. Fix appears to be going to the pre '92 non-coolant type.
jeffgfg likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If it was the oil cooler leaking the water would be mixing in the oil and not coming out an exhaust port. Water in the cylinder is either a gasket issue or a crack.
pedal2themetal45 likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestg View Post
If it was the oil cooler leaking the water would be mixing in the oil and not coming out an exhaust port. Water in the cylinder is either a gasket issue or a crack.
So when the engine's off and there's no oil pressure but the cooling system is still pressurized, it can't mix with oil?
jeffgfg likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

When water is coming out the exhaust it almost always means a bad head gasket or crack in your cylinder head.
Some residual oil from the engine can get pressurized into the antifreeze from combustion pressure via the bad head gasket and end up in your radiator and if the crack or gasket failure is significant and you have just been topping antifreeze off to get you from point a to point b you would likely end up with significant volumes in you oil pan leaking past the rings into the pan when parked not running.
When head gasket / cracked heads are really bad its not unusual for the motor to lock up or labor when trying to crank it over with water getting in the cylinders.
It's referred to as hydraulicing or hydro lock to some.

If your oil cooler in fact is a wet type with antifreeze cooling the oil not air cooling you typically would get oil pumping into your cooling system since the oil pressure typically operates at a much higher pressure when running than your cooling system. When the motor is off you could also get some antifreeze leaking into oil once engine off but in either case there isn't a direct pathway into the cylinder for the anti freeze to come out the exhaust port like you are describing.

That being said it is a likely bet you have a head gasket issue or a crack or both.

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in