CA emissions legal 460 build
Looking for some piston and cam advice, as well as any other suggestions.
I'll be rebuilding the 460 out of my fathers '77 f250 Ranger XLT utility truck this October. This is in CA but the truck is in the higher weight class so stock emissions equipment are minimal, no cats, no air pump.
Daily driver around town with occasional longer drives on the freeway. Some light towing on occasion. It needs to be able to haul a decent load when asked even though that will be rare.
Smogger 7.9 CR as you all know, dynamic is somewhere in the 6s with the retarded cam. I'd like to aim for high or mid 8s static. Hypothetically, I should be able to do this on a ballpark tune without pinging on 89 octane (dare I say 87) but the real world may say otherwise. I don't want to be overthinking this if stock CR is good enough with a zeroed cam. However, if I fined that she needs to be bored out, a piston swap will be unavoidable.
I know the benefits of zero decking but I'd like to avoid it if I can to help keep cost down and avoid potential hassles of intake fitment. Heads will receive a basic 3 angle and the block will get the basic machine work as needed.
1) What compression ratio have you guys gotten away with on 89 and 87 octane without destroying your timing too much?
2) How many of you are running stock compression with the cam zeroed and how much does it actually help? Good enough for a work truck with light hauling?
2) I'm thinking of swapping the 22cc stock pistons for the EFI 15cc (this gives a higher compression height as well. If I use them with thinner head gaskets then the outer edges of an effective quench can be had (.050~.060), yes / no? What about keeping stock pistons but zero decked? Thoughts or other piston recommendations?
3) I'm okay with keeping the stock cam and new gears set to zero degrees but being that this is a good time to cam swap I might as well entertain the idea. Recommendations for a mild cam on stock springs?
4) I want to remain emissions legal so NOX and HCs are a concern. What emissions numbers have you gotten with your builds?
Carb will be a Holley 600cfm 4160 (Stock carb is trash).
Sorry for the long wind
Thank you in advance ladies and gents for all the help!