460 Ford Forum banner

Very mild 76 Lincoln engine

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  The Mad Porter 
#1 ·
I have a bone stock 460 in a Lincoln Mk IV. Smog pump is going away.
It needs a radiator and water pump, so thought I'd go ahead and install a double row timing chain and advance cam 8 degrees. Then "recurve" distributor. After that I'm lost on de-smogging and helping the low compression 460 out a little.
Should I add: Holly 650, electronic ignition, delete cats and add duel exhaust ? I have ethanol free gas a mile away.
I'm retired and drive maybe a hundred miles a month. I have another vehicle for daily driver.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
HI, never heard of advancing the cam before .. Mostly the answer is use a streight up timing set 0* and run some where in 28* total timing at like 3,000 rpms. A 650 would be small a 460 can handle a 750 very well in stock form and an 850 on slightly moded motor.
whats you budget like? Heads or head work would make a big differance. as well as headers..
good luck
tim

#4 ·
Welcome...

Straight up cam timing. I'd use a 9 key and advance and additional 2 degrees.
Properly curved duraspark distributor 14 initial and 34 to 35 total @ 3000 RPM. Vacuum advance must be limited when EGR is eliminated.

The intake is likely the spread bore for the 4350 motorcraft. Though it has the std holley bolt pattern a square bore carb will not fit. An adapter is not a great solution.

If your OEM carb is in good shape and not peeing fuel all over the place you can keep it.
If not serviceable an older square bore iron intake or a used performer with the heat cross over blocked will allow the use of a 600 vac secondary holley.

The OEM flanged manifolds have a reduced outlet cross section vs. the truck manifolds and earlier passenger car manifolds.
Dual exhaust with an H pipe will certainly help however the manifolds are restrictive.

Ford OEM Cats are not terrible and removal is worth 10 to 15 hp in this mild application.

At best you will have 3.00 gears so tuning and mods to focus on low end torque are key. At 5,000 pounds you need as much torque as possible.

With less than 8 to 1 static c/r your output will be limited but can be much improved over the 202 hp rating.

If you want some urgency from a standing start install 3.5 gears in your 28 spline 9" center section.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.