460 Ford Forum banner

Timing gear set or chain

11K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  amthatiam 
#1 ·
New to the forum. I've owned my 86 250 for 3 years. Previous owner, a racer, built the 460 engine with a moderate performance cam & put a timing gear set in it. The idler gear arms that hold them against the cam & crankshaft gears broke. Broke a chunk out of the cover too. Long story short, can I go back to the chain? The cam & crank gears I compared them to at the parts store to the gear set are noticably smaller. Is the another solution you can suggest?

#2 ·
Switch back to a quality straight up double roller timing set. New front covers are easily sourced. We do it for many of our crate builds.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

#4 ·
The number of teeth on a double roller vs the teeth on a gear to gear is not material.

The ratio of 2 to 1 however is.

Here is a pic of a good double roller set. Think two rows of bicycle like chain.

SJ
used 2b RHP

#7 ·
Lets keep it simple: Ask for a timing chain set for a 68-71 429. That is the easiest way to make sure you get a "straight up" timing chain set. If you get one for a '72 and later 460, the cam timing will be retarded. As was stated, the number of teeth doesn't matter, just that the cam gear has twice as many as the crank gear. This will not be anything you need to concern yourself with when you buy your timing set, as every 4 stroke engine works on this principle and the gears and chains are matched as such. Last I checked you can still get a new timing cover straight from Ford, but places like Summit Racing and Jegs sell them as well.

#8 ·
Not all "early" timing sets sold are actual early straight up. Something to be aware of.

SJ
used 2b RHP

#9 ·
Just recently installed the straight timing set in my 86 RV, I ordered 2 sets through my local NAPA dealer, one for a 1969 429 and the other one for a 1995 FI 460. Both sets were straight up. Decided to installed the one for the 1995 FI 460 since it was a double roller and seemed to be of high quality.

#10 ·
NOT SO FAST,WAS THE LATER A DOUBLE ROW? OR DOUBLE ROLLER? theres a big diff ,and yes late model 460s were straight up

#11 ·
Just installed the cam & crank gears on the new double roller chain set. Two things I need help with. 1. The dot on the crank gear is half a tooth to the left of the keyway. Do I align the dots or the key with the dot on the cam gear? 2. The crank gear does not align with the cam gear. It seems the cam gear needs a spacer behind it like the old gear I took off had. It looks like it needs to be the thickness of one row. The problem trying to use the old one is that it doesn't fit snug on the collar. Do I have the wrong parts you think? I'm not sure what year the engine is.

#12 ·
thats because its a 1972 and up set, thats a retarded gear set, dot and keyway must line up to be a straight up set

#15 · (Edited)
This is what I was referring to.

"True" straight up has the crank gears tooth, dot and the key way all EXACTLY AT NOON.

When the keyway is clockwise 1/2 tooth the set is retarded.

This link will show the difference.

Timing-rear-comparison-index

Ignore the following on that particular page:

It has been my experience that when using an early timing set on a later
model vehicle with the smog cam that the low end response is improved
but the high end HP suffers as the power band is moved down some 500
RPM. The specs on the smogger cam were changed to accomodate the
retarded timing set. Always use the early timing set when changing cams

The cam specs were NOT CHANGED.

SJ
used 2b RHP

#19 ·
As shown in the link.

Crank gear tooth, dot and keyway at NOON.

Wrong timing set.

SJ
used 2b RHP

#22 ·
It appears the floating gears chewed up the crank.

SJ
used 2b RHP

#28 ·
No it is normal for some of the bearing journal to stick out. I just measured two at about .050".

To the OP I would double check to see that the thrust is not excessive.

SJ
used 2b RHP

#29 ·
just in case,better check crank thrust (end play)

#35 ·
Gear drive timing sets have a crank gear, cam gear, and two idler gears, the idlers made those marks on the end of the crank as the set was coming apart, their is no gear stuck on the end of the crank, as already mentioned I'd be taking the engine apart to assess the damage beyond what is seen including pulling the crank to see if the bearings survived....

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.