460 overheating problem - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Tech A place to discuss all 385-series engine tech and theory.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

460 overheating problem

Hello all, i'm new to the site. I have a 73 460 in my bronco and actually just got it road worthy. I am having trouble with overheating. I'm new to ford big blocks and don't know if they have a problem with overheating. I'm running a heavy duty 3 core (bronco) radiator with dual electric fans. Within 20 minutes of driving my temp guage is at a 200 and rising on a 10 mile drive it pegged at 260 and I had antifreeze every where. It seemed to overheat quicker if I drove faster. I had it at idle in front of my house for 30 min. and it never went over 180. Can anyone please give me some advice on what I should do. I have no clue why it keeps overheating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

OK, there are more reasons than I can list why it might be overheating, but here are a couple. Did you flushthe radiator/heater core before you installed the 460? Did you get all the air out of the cooling system on the first fill? What temp thermostat are you running? Is there coolant in the oil=head gasket problem? Assuming all these are ok, what size carb is it? Too small=lean condition, also timing too much = heat. When I put my dads 79 together for him with his 429CJ, we used a radiator from an F250 camper package, about 4" wide, bigger than the bronco 3 core, a shrowd from the same, a 7 blade clutch fan and Weiand high flow water pump. He only ran it in the dunes, and never had a problem with temp unless he left it idle for a really long time at the hot time of the day. Give us some more info and we will try to help. Maybe Danny Cabral will chime in on this too.

Big Broncos for life!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

overheating

Any chance your fans are running backwards and are pushing air? If so it will idle all day and never overheat, but when you drive it will overheat. I know it sounds dumb but had a buddy do it once and had the exact same symptoms you described.

79 F-150, 4x4, 532 cubic inches of big block fun
66-67 Fairlane (coming soon)

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 12:28 PM

check lower radiator hose...

I had this happen to me on a 460/fox body swap. The lower radiator hose was collapsing due to the water pump suction once the engine built some rpm. Everything worked fine at idle, but it would start running hot once driving. The lower hose should have a wire spring insert to keep it round at all times. My spring insert had actually worked its way up toward/partially into the waterpump and was allowing the hose to get sucked together like a straw with a finger over one end.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Re: 460 overheating problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockbronco
It seemed to overheat quicker if I drove faster. I had it at idle in front of my house for 30 min. and it never went over 180. Thanks
Sounds like a problem with your water pump (or electric fans). Is the impeller still attached to the shaft or impeller corroded away? You might need a high volume water pump. Is this a freshly rebuilt engine? I would also check your electric fan rotation, like Chris mentioned. What electric fans are you using?

May God's Grace Bless You

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 05:41 PM

You might need a 4 coor radiator. That will give you more resurve capacity because it holdes more water. I would check your fans like chris532 said.
By the way welcom to the forum bigblockbronco.
Bill
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 07:07 PM

460 over heating

Make sure you have the correct water pump the serpentine & v belt have opposite flow directions. Use a 190 deg thermostat. Ditto on the fan blades pulling backwards. Gregg
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 07:56 AM

check the bottom rad hose!!! took me a whole summer to find this on my '79,would run fine idling, but get hot fast when driving. rev engine and watch hose, mine would suck almost completely shut by 25-3000rpm's, just free reving in the yard!!!also be sure you have a thermostat or restrictor in there, the coolant will travel to fast if left wide open, won't get a chance for the rad to cool it!!my friend has a 502 chebby that was running hot, he had no thermostat in it, installed a stat with the center removed, solved problem!! Hope this helps. good luck!!!

If you've got the guts, follow my ruts!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 09:40 PM

Another trick to keep an engine ALOT COOLER is to dissconnect,
plug or restrict the hot water return hose. On BBF this is that short
hose that connects from just below the thermostat to the waterpump.
This seems like a very small amount of hot water to be returned to the
engine, but it's alot more then a guy would like to believe. Any Hi-Po
engine builder should never hook this back up, that's why you'll see
these plugged on circle & (some drag) engines. I do still use this on a
street engine that's close to stock, but I'll place a restricter into one that's
to be a hot street engine. And another thing to remember is that the Radiater Cap should ALWAYS be the very highest point in any cooling system. If any other hose is higher then the Cap (i.e. upper radiater
hose, heater hoses or even if the block itself is too high) then this is were
steam will want to collect. And steam makes alot of pressure and of corse
is VERY hot. So, if a guy would try these small tricks it should help to
reduce the water temp in any cooling system.

Look at all the money Henry had,
and he still drove a Ford!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)

u say u have coolant alll over,,,,,,,, test ur cap, if it pops off befor 16 psi ,change it, ,,,,, where is it comming from, it might be coming out as it get hot, then is so low it gets hotter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, very common,, to see this

-R

RICH
CIRCLE (R) 815 712 8738
--------------------------------
BUY,SELL, or TRADE BBF parts
Dynoed or Test STAND RAN
CYLINDER HEAD PORTING
HEAD FLOWING
COMPLETE ENGINES avb
From STOCK to NOT
PRO SYSTEMS CARBS
BOSS 302 351 429 800CI+
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

bypass hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolorMeKustom
Another trick to keep an engine ALOT COOLER is to dissconnect, plug or restrict the hot water return hose. On BBF this is that short hose that connects from just below the thermostat to the waterpump.
It's called the water pump bypass hose (see my comments in this thread):
https://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=4759&highlight=

May God's Grace Bless You

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Been there done this & had the same problems. After trying "everything" the only solution was the big 4 row Super Cooler rad...........
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 02:57 PM

Make sure that your header gaskets are on correctly. If you put them on backwards all of the bolts line up but it will partially block your exhaust port. I've seen people do this and cause the engine to run very hot.

Derek

79' mustang 528/glide
[email protected]
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek528
Make sure that your header gaskets are on correctly. If you put them on backwards all of the bolts line up but it will partially block your exhaust port. I've seen people do this and cause the engine to run very hot.
lol, I did that once too. But after changing them it didn't turn out to be the whole problem, although it did get it cooled down somewhat.
IMO big, heavy, low geared, lifted trucks with big tires require more cooling. This is what I ended up with to get it back to normal, High flow 160 deg thermostat, high flow aluminum water pump, no clutch fan I tryed a 7 blade one and it ran hotter, used a factory ford 5 blade flex fan with (I think) a 2" spacer, then finally the big 4 core Super Cooler. I don't know if just putting the big rad in would have cooled it from the beginning though. But now it runs real cool even in 90 deg weather it's impossible to over heat it.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 08:10 PM

i hate to sound like a broken record , but had the same problem on a '79 bronco with a 460 i had. this may sound weird but when i had electric fans on it and drove down the road it got hot. i took them off and put a 5 blade flex fan and a shroud on it and it ran fine. i don't know if the fans were restricting air or what but it worked for me. and yes they were turning the right way. i was running a 160 thermostat in it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in