Need a new Master Cylinder for my BBF Fox Mustang - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Need a new Master Cylinder for my BBF Fox Mustang

Went racing over the weekend. Follow the link below for more details. In the 4th round I lost because my car pushed through the lights thus causing me to red-light. It's probably my own damn fault since it's the original master cylinder that came with the car back in 1979. It did have power brakes but I removed the vacuum canister and bolted it to the firewall with a shorter rod. Anyway I want to get a new MS so what do you guys recommend? I need to get one ASAP!

Should I just go to the parts store and say I wan a new master cylinder for a 1979 Mustang that came with a 4 cylinder turbo? Or is there another type that would work better like off of a ranger etc........

Link to Race Results Thread

https://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=3475

Muchas Gracious amigos!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 02:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to fastbigblockford
i know afew guys are using M/C's from Dodge Caravans, not sure what the gain is, just know ive seen afew, sorry i cant be of more help.
later
Dan
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If the factory M/C for that car worked OK before and stopped good, (but was just getting old) then use the same again (easy fix).

Look to other styles/brands of M/C only if you need bigger/smaller piston O.D., brake lines that exit in a different spot than factory, different size/weight M/C, etc, etc.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S.
If the factory M/C for that car worked OK before and stopped good, use the same again (easy fix).

Look to other styles/brands of M/C only if you need bigger/smaller piston O.D., brake lines that exit in a different spot than factory, different size/weight M/C, etc, etc.
That's what I'm thinking. It would be a lot easier and a very quick fix. Who wants to come over to push the pedal and help me bleed the brakes :P

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 03:09 PM

New from AOL, Broadband brake bleeding from the comfort of your living room with help from around the country!......Just $99.99 a mounth, sign up now! (LOL)

All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Wouldn't that be funny :lol: :lol: :P

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 03:16 PM

Now if you could just get AOL to deliver fresh nitrous bottles through the computer,.....THAT would be usable service!

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S.
Now if you could just get AOL to deliver fresh nitrous bottles through the computer,.....THAT would be usable service!
How about a Race Fuel re-fill service My drum is empty........

Chuck is picking up a drum of fuel today........

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 06:22 PM

Re: Need a new Master Cylinder for my BBF Fox Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasea466
Went racing over the weekend. Follow the link below for more details. In the 4th round I lost because my car pushed through the lights thus causing me to red-light. It's probably my own damn fault since it's the original master cylinder that came with the car back in 1979. It did have power brakes but I removed the vacuum canister and bolted it to the firewall with a shorter rod. Anyway I want to get a new MS so what do you guys recommend? I need to get one ASAP!

Should I just go to the parts store and say I wan a new master cylinder for a 1979 Mustang that came with a 4 cylinder turbo? Or is there another type that would work better like off of a ranger etc........

Link to Race Results Thread

https://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=3475

Muchas Gracious amigos!
Damon,
Go to the Ford dealer and buy the adapter plate necessary for using a manual brake master cylinder. You can also get it from various aftermarket Mustang suppliers (UPR, D&D, Maximum Motorsports, etc). Then, go to the parts store and buy a manual brake booster for a later model Ford Ranger. The brake lines on the Ranger exit the cylinder on the fender side so you free up some room between the master cylinder and the valve cover. That's the cheapest route. You can also just order a manual brake swap kit from these same aftermarket suppliers. Here are some links:
UPR
http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/...%2BAccessories
Skinny Kid Race Cars
https://www.skinnykidracecars.com/Me...ode=BRAKES1-05
Aerospace @ Jegs
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=10161

SD Wheeler
ShadowLands Racing
2006/2008 Ultra Stang World Champion
Kicker Audio - Exile Turbo - Probe / Coast High Performance - Oakley - Street Car 1320 Clothing
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Shadow Master.

When I converted my car over to manual brakes I made the plate that bolts to the firewall. So I'm assuming that if I did get the Ranger MS then it would work with my home made plate :?:

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 08:32 AM

It should work.

SD Wheeler
ShadowLands Racing
2006/2008 Ultra Stang World Champion
Kicker Audio - Exile Turbo - Probe / Coast High Performance - Oakley - Street Car 1320 Clothing
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Well I just ran across an extra Master Cylinder that I was using for Ford GT Brake Tube Testing (New still in the box). Looks like it will work. I made a few extra brake lines with the M10 and M12 nuts and ISO flares for the MS and the inverted flares with 3/8" nuts on the other end for my distribution block. I'm going to try and make this one work. I'll let you guys know how it goes after this weekend. I plan on working in the shop on Sunday.

If it does work then I'll have a Master Cylinder from the new Ford GT! That should add another 50 Horse Power :lol: :roll:

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 01:25 PM

Damon,

Are you sure you have the correct pedal ratio as well. I had scrapped the booster on my Futura years ago. It took a little longer to stop than I liked. I just picked up a manual brake pedal out of an old Fairmont for my Mustang.

I'll also email you this handy pedal ratio chart that someone on here posted awhile back. It'll quickly tell you how much pressure you have and/or need.........

John

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbozzelle
Damon,

Are you sure you have the correct pedal ratio as well. I had scrapped the booster on my Futura years ago. It took a little longer to stop than I liked. I just picked up a manual brake pedal out of an old Fairmont for my Mustang.

I'll also email you this handy pedal ratio chart that someone on here posted awhile back. It'll quickly tell you how much pressure you have and/or need.........

John
I'm not sure. I know it used to stop a little easier when I wasn't going as fast :lol:

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 01:44 PM

If you didn't change the pedal then you have the wrong ratio for that car with manual brakes. The pedal I have has the MC rod mounting point moved up a good bit.

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in