Bang...Crunch, crunch - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Bang...Crunch, crunch

That's what I heard Sat night at the track. At least it wasn't the engine. Seems the 557 finally killed the planetary in the race glide. It was the the 3rd round of the 2nd race of the day. Left the line. About 80 ft it went bang and then went on the high side rev limiter @ 7500 It was going "crunch, crunch" when they towed me back to the pits. I tore it down today and it looked like a grenade went off in there. It shelled teeth off all 6 planet gears, the sun gear and split the reverse ring gear.

Oh well....back to the drawing board and bank....gonna have to step up now. The broken planetary from the dragster was aftermarket... sort of upper-mid grade. It was a 9310 Super Set 1.76 ratio w helical type gears. Guess now I'll need to spring for the 1.80 straight cut set.

More pics here:
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commun...iew=thumbs&ck=

here is a sample:

David Cole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

OUCH !!! I feel your pain my brother ......

Mike

Mike Stevens
Member of "The Band of Brothers"
2011 American Swingarm, 615" A Head
Engine built by Oakley MotorSports...
1.008,4.55 @ 153.06
Eliminator Products dealer
Thanks "Geez." RIP
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to merc460
bummer.....dang chebbie parts.
just kidding. :lol:
Hope you get back on track soon.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to telephone them at four in the morning.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:20 PM

David, now you know why the kid's got a LENCO. I feel your pain.

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 07:05 AM

David I put in my car a set of 1.74 strait cut from ATI so far so good, I just knew that launching a #3300 car it would take a bit before it crashed so I invested and got the good ones, I hope they last :shock: I also bought the 10 clutch high gear pack and put 8 clutches in the reverse so as for clutches and planetary I hope I am good to go..

Randy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 11:39 AM
RCJ

How many runs did the transmisson have on it?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 12:23 PM

David; was there any warning before the failure? I can't remember who's transmission were you running was it a JW ultra case? Do you have any idea how many passes you had on the tranny before this happened. I ask these question because, as you know, I am running a high horsepower PG to and was wondering if a tear down and inspection may be in order as it has been over a year since the last teardown. By the way how did you do in the earlier race in the day. As for us we have again found out how to have unexplainable starter problems boy sometime I just want to quit and go back to bass fishing.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Stevens
David, now you know why the kid's got a LENCO. I feel your pain.
One day us peons :shock: will be able to afford a LENCO.

David, time to call Kenny? PTC..
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

This happened in the 2nd race of the day. The first race I went red in the 4th round. The trans broke in the 3rd round of the 2nd race.

In hindsight it did give a warning, but I thought it was something else. A couple of times over the past two weeks the car had hesitated for a split second when I would drop it inotlow andleave my pit. Only did it after a heat soak. If if was cold or if I had just driven it it didn't do it. I thought it was my rear disk brakes dragging just a bit. I now think perhaps I had a single cracked or broken tooth. The heat soak made it expand and bind just a little. The car did not run any different. On the pass where it broke it went about 80-90 feet, leaving hard. Then it zinged off the high side rev limiter.

The planetary had a couple of hundred passes on it. It wasn't an absolute top of the line, but it was supposed to be a good one. It had all new gears, bearings, axles, bearings etc. The gears were 9310 alloy, same as "Pro" rear end gears. It also has a 4340 output shaft. The transmission was a BTE with all the good stuff in a stock case. The case and everything else appears to be ok, just full of metal.

I will replace it with an all new planetary with 1.80 ratio straight cut gears. Supposed to be almost unbreakable, but the straight cuts will wear over time and they make a whine like a gear drive.

David Cole
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 11:55 PM

JS, how many broken, hi dollar 'glides and missed races does it take to equal the price of a LENCO? I talked to a guy in the pits one day, he'd broken 4 $4500.00 'glides in 1 year. He thought a LENCO was "toooo expensive" till he found out what our setup cost. He left...kicking his own butt.

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

A friend's last few chebby nitrous door cars had glides with straight cut gear sets with no problems or breakage,....converters on the other hand are a different story.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Stevens
JS, how many broken, hi dollar 'glides and missed races does it take to equal the price of a LENCO? I talked to a guy in the pits one day, he'd broken 4 $4500.00 'glides in 1 year. He thought a LENCO was "toooo expensive" till he found out what our setup cost. He left...kicking his own butt.
I haven't really had any Hi dollar glides. At the price I get them for it would take 3 glides to = one Lenco set up, give or take a grand.

I really hope I don't tear any up. :roll:

Most everything in my glide(s) wasn't GM anymore anyway. But i see your point, definately a weak link.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 08:53 AM

Hey David; you will never guess what happened this last Saturday night. Thats right the transmissions crapped out in the semi's at Winston County. About 50 feet off the line with wheels in the air there was a low muffled "POP" and all tractive effort to the wheels ended and the engine rpm's going to 7400 at the blink of any eye, coasted thru, pulled back to the trailer. I suspect that the output shaft broke but will not know until tranny is taken apart. The tranny has no "park" so output shaft is first thought. There was no clanging or banging just loss of power after the "pop". I am already on the phone trying to find parts to fix before the fast eight program this weekend at the "County". I don't have much hope finding and fixing before Saturday though. Just thought that you would like to know the you are not the only one, I just had that feeling after you posted. PS: I just got off the phone with Greg Burgess and he says planeterys so looks like the same as your problem. I will go back with straight cut 1.80 gears like you are doing. Good luck.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Sorry to hear that Bobby. It's just one of the hazards I guess. Parts will break sooner or later.

I just sent you an email with some info on a deal for the straight cuts.

Later
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in