Shop building questions - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Shop building questions

I'm getting close to building a shop out back and I have a couple questions. First is I have been talking with a company who builds pole buildings, nice looking structures and they claim the wooden poles last well over 50 years, I have a friend also getting quotes to build a shop who tells me a stick built building is not much more, what are the pro's/cons to these structures, durability, value, etc.
The other question is in regard to the roofing material, I have the option to use a high quality composite material (3 tab), or metal. Please share any experiences or advice you may have.

Thanks,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

How big?

I just did a small shop in my backyard. 20x24 and it was pretty cheap. I bought a kit from Sutherland lumber and assembelled it myself with my Dad's help. It was a blast to get to build it with him.

I LOVE HAVING A SHOP!!!!!!

'83 Mustang GT - 552/C6 - 10.12 @ 136
'73 "F100" - EFI460/E4OD
Drag Week 2011 - 77th in Daily Driver
Drag Week 2012 - Street Race BB N/A runner-up
Drag Week 2014 - *kapooya*
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 11:22 AM

1) The bigger, the better.
2) Concrete floor. MIN. 6 in. thick w/ double rebar where the hoist will go.
3) Lottsa insulation.
4) Heat, maybe A/C.
5) Lottsa power.
6) GOOD roof, it rains/snows up there.
7) Good drainage, so you don't get swamped.
8) BIG doors, mine are 9ft. high X 18ft. wide.
9) Paved driveway.
10) Clear span construction. No stinking posts in the way.
11) Comfortable, for when she throws you out of the house.
12) Space for refrigerator, see above.
JMHO.

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 11:22 AM

We built our (Dad and I) 40' X 60' shop back in 98-99 and it's all steel. Me personally, I prefer the all steel building but that's just me

I believe we have about $15000 in it including the concrete, gravel and electricity. Of course we didn't pay for any labor and it was pretty fun putting it together. Thank god we had a Bob Cat Skid Steer Loader to lift those heavy iron beams!

We recruited some friends to help for future shop time to change oil etc...........

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 11:50 AM

What ever size you figure you will need and NOT out grow,,,,THAN ADD 10 FEET IN BOTH DIRECTION'S, trust me you will not be sorry!!!!!!! :lol: Lot's of plugs and lights, I have at least 60feet of work bench, and still find myself with no place to work,,, lol ops:

''If you didn't Build-It'' It ain't Racing!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kinnard
What ever size you figure you will need and NOT out grow,,,,THAN ADD 10 FEET IN BOTH DIRECTION'S, trust me you will not be sorry!!!!!!! :lol:
I hear you on that one Ed. I thought a 40 X 60 would be PLENTY of room......... WRONG. You always acquire MORE stuff :lol:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

#1...Make sure they put down a good/thick vapor barrier before they pour the slab. Mine doesn't have a barrier & the moisture comes up through the slab at times.

#2...You never have enough floor space or elec. outlets, so get all you can of each.

#3...Steel vs wood framing = steel wins in my book. Bugs can eat wood, plus you can't weld to wood to create shelves, tubing racks, overhead storage, etc, etc.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 02:30 PM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I've had 2 pole barns so far in my life, one with a shingled roof and on with a metal roof (current one). Having a choice I would go with shingles, they don't sweat like the metal does and the wood/shingle roof help kill sound a little better.

As far as size bigger is better, like has been said already it will never be big enough !!! I have a 30x40 and a 2 car detached garage and still don't have enough room............

You will need to look at your local building codes, some areas do not allow pole type construction.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 03:27 PM

We just did this

We just did the decision making process for my Dads new place and ended up going with WebSteel.

http://www.websteel.com/

Pole buildings are harder to make rodent proof. And, in a moist environment or an area where termites are a fact of life, you're asking for trouble. Also, if you have a loose soil area (Dads place is basically on pumice/ash based soil), you'd have to dig the poles awfully deep to get any kind of rigidity.

The websteel building is also open-truss, so the building doesn't have to be as tall to still accomodate a tall entrance door (for an RV, or what have you) and lift(s) as well. It's built on a slab/footing.

For flooring, look into fiberglass reinforced concrete. The slab can be poured thinner, rebar/mesh can be omitted, and the surface finish has more grip. Over-all stronger solution with less cost.

Anyway, that's which way we went.

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 05:14 PM

Steel is the only way to go. I got my kit from Miracle Truss. It is 36x48 with 12 ft. walls and 3 10x10 doors. Next to every 110 outlet is a 220 so I can plug my welders up anywhere in the shop. http://www.miracletruss.com/garage.html

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, lots of good points. I'm going with the largest building I can fit in the area I have, the building will be 24Dx36Lx12H (to the eve), I need to map out the windows and doors, but thinking 10x10 doors and plenty of windows.
I had considered Web Steel, a friend has one, it's very nice but they don't build them nor do they have anyone to recommend. I have plenty of other house remodel stuff going on as well as a car to build, I really would prefer to have my shop built.
Here is a link to the pole building I've been considering (if it works), I'd have it done with T1-11 siding and a 3-tab composite roof.

http://www.allpurposestructures.com/...200%20Sq.%20Ft.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Only problem with a bunch of windows is they give a thief a way to see what you have, plus they are another way into your shop.

If your in an area that has a history of hail storms, the steel roof is the way to go.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

i deliberately built two shops. less dough total than to build and opperate one big heated shop. minnesota, lol. one for storage and 8 months out of the year work is 26 by 38 by 10 side walls. three cars across two deep. (okay some of them are scouts) 16 by 9 door in one end, 9 by 9 other end. other building is the heated shop, 24 by 24 with 12foot high in middle for hoist. this one has a 10 wide door in middle of building. lots of room on each side. of course, aka garage door bob also helps in the scheme of things. bobn.

ps. i am a fan of wood framing, steel skin but the area you live in and what is available to you price wise should be your main consideration.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 11:06 PM

CAUTION! If you put in a hoist like, Doug and I have, you need 14 ft. min. roof to floor.

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 07:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
When I built my 30x28 I built a 2x6 wood structure. I have no experience with steel so I can't offer anything there. I wired the heck out of my building. I put 6 regular lights in the attic so you could see when u need to go up there (it is alot easier to do when building than after). On the walls I put 4 gang plugs every 5'. The left and right side of each plug box were on seperate breakers and each wall was on seperate breakers. I also had 9 - 8' flourescent lights (buy the electronic balast ones) but I am blind and can't see well in the dark. I also ran conduit from the house to the shop (I was close) for future expansion of network cables, cable etc. I ran all my speaker wires in walls as well as cable tv in the corner. I also ran plumbing for a sink and toilet. Nothing is worse than having to run in the house, wash your hands, make a big mess just to take a leak ( the wife will love it too). When I did the plumbing I put valves in the house so I could drain the lines for winter use if I didn't want to heat it. I wanted to put in-floor heating in as well but I had to cut costs some where so I went with a overhead infrared heater. They are nice and heat objects instead of the air so they are better. They also heat the shop fairly fast and are economical to operate.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in