How far and How Much ???? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How far and How Much ????

OK after 7 years of pulling I finally have More power in my 528 then I know what to do with ...and it cost Just under $18,000 to get it ...

Now my dilemma :

How far Should one travel to get to a Pull .. With Diesel going for 2.99 per gal.

And what amount of money should there be in the purse too pull ... Paying out the top 3 spots ..

ShaZam

Drag racers what do you's get in payouts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 08:08 AM

I run a bracket car, i have been involed in 500 to 2,500 dollar race's. Im sure there's probaly bigger payout's in brackett's. Once you get out of the bracket's the purse jump's up pretty good. Check out fun ford payout's to get a better idea. BZ
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 04:38 PM

This is something I've pondered the past couple years. It costs twice as much to pull and be competitive as it did 9 years ago when I started, but it pays the same for a win which wasn't squat 9 yrs ago. I think it depends on your priorities and finacial status. I know alot of pullers whose wives left them because going pulling was number one priority even if they had to go hungry for the next month. I love pulling but I'm not going to lose my family or go bankrupt doing it. I say, if you can afford it and your not neglecting other responsibilities then go for it. I look back at my years of pulling and the best part isn't the wins and fullpulls its the friendships I have with people I would have never met if I didn't pull. Good luck.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 05:05 PM

Our local drag races typically pay $1500 to $2000, split up to pay four places. Like a $2000 purse would pay $1000, $500, $250 and $250. Some big events pay better, but that's the norm, and you usually have to wade through a buttload of cars to get in the money. Quick 8 or Quick 16 races will require you to go fewer rounds, but the entry fee is usually stiffer and you better be fast and consistent.
Hookedonpullin is right about the financial part of our hobby. I have personally sworn an oath to never use household or family money for my racing. I usually get a quarterly bonus at work and that's what I use for parts & stuff. If the family needs the money, I don't race. Besides, if you put your hobby in front of your family, it's no longer a hobby.....it's an obsession. And it's a helluva lot more fun if the rest of the family enjoys it too.

The older I get, the smarter Dad was.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonpullin
This is something I've pondered the past couple years. It costs twice as much to pull and be competitive as it did 9 years ago when I started, but it pays the same for a win which wasn't squat 9 yrs ago. I think it depends on your priorities and financial status. I know a lot of pullers whose wives left them because going pulling was number one priority even if they had to go hungry for the next month. I love pulling but I'm not going to lose my family or go bankrupt doing it. I say, if you can afford it and your not neglecting other responsibilities then go for it. I look back at my years of pulling and the best part isn't the wins and full pulls its the friendships I have with people I would have never met if I didn't pull. Good luck.
Thank You Hookedonpullin...
Here's part two of my delimma..

My kids are all grown up and out of the house. My current wife I met after I got into truck pulling and she knows I have the urge to pull bad .
I'm currently pulling in Four Clubs, Three of which pay pretty good,
But the one club I really enjoy pulling at that cost me the most too pull at pays little to nothing..
But it was this little line of yours that's makes it worth it everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonpullin
its the friendships I have with people I would have never met if I didn't pull.

Thank You

ShaZam
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 08:46 PM

Maybe if the others in that one club got together and nicely voiced there opinion and explained that without the pullers and trucks there is no show. I would think that the class that you pull in would have enough pull to maybe get something done. I pull street modified classes and sometimes we are lucky that they let us pull there, we take what we can get. You guys are more of a "power show" which draws more spectators and brings in more money. Sometimes I think promoters and fairboards and such don't realize the expense of running a truck. I broke my t-case a couple years ago and ended up a foot short and in second place. When I went to get my 90$ I won, the women said to me, I don't know what you guys are complaining about thats alot of money. The guy that took 1st was standing right there too and said, Ya that pays for his fuel and entry fee, but he'll eat the cost to repair the t-case.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

You know we have voiced Our concerns at the meetings we had .. I say if the clubs or villages that put the pulls on can afford to pay $800.00 to have the eliminator be there why can't the pay some to get the trucks there too ...

They all say they lose money having these truck pulls ..

Well I'm not a Business manger .. but I was losing money doing something .. I sure wouldn't do it again every year .. or better yet two or three time a year ????

ShaZam
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 04:46 AM

How Far?

You go as far and as often and still HAVE FUN! If starts feelin like a JOB, thats where you draw the line! It's hobby and a way to relax, it doesn't always work out that way! Darn!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My wife and I just went to Missouri, about 8hrs one way drive for us. The payout was going to be $1600 split 4 ways and $1000 4 ways for the two classes I was going to run. Without a lot of detail, no elimination round runs, and I am minus a rear end and back home. Would I do it again ? Heck yes, I got to meet some great new folks, I spent some good "talking time" with my wife, and I did see some great racing. We rolled this trip into a vacation for us both, just a get away without the kids for a long weekend. Instead of running 2 weekends at my local track in June, I just took the one trip. I love going to new tracks, you see stuff you never have before, people usually are friendly, and its just different scenery if nothing else.

Big Broncos for life!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 10:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
I guess it depends on your budget. I had these two friends growing up (two brothers). They always had the coolest cars (tubbed blown whatever) but they worked their *** off and spent every waking hour and dollar on their cars. I often wondered how they ever got married. The funny thing is now they have no cars. They are both work aholics (must be genetic). I guess it is up to you to decide what it is worth to you. I used to race all the time but with a family of 5 (and I started at 21) I have never had alot of money to spend on cars. I need to maximize my dollar (especially owing 3 cars) so my race car is a street strip car and all my cars are driveable....most times. If money is tight cut back to a couple pulls a year so you can still enjoy seeing old friends and having fun. To me I didn't think twice about driving 6 hours to Arlington for the Hot Rod Power Tour but then I only did 1/3 of the tour. Thats life and when the kids are all grown up maybe things will be different. If I have gained anything over the last 15 years I have gained patience. If I have to wait another 5 years till I finally finish my Pinto then so bit it. I will tell you this though, I don't get rid of any of my cars anymore cuz the day will come when I have some money to spend on them.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in