Lack of Progress - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lack of Progress

Well I was excited about the Struts but they never got done so ...........
we've come to the realization that I am in need of a new chassis builder. I am on vacation next week so I will go to Senatobia to get all my stuff.

I will not bad mouth the chassis builder on here or anywhere. We are still friends, we just have different ideas on the importance of sticking with an original deadline. Nothing has been welded on the car since the dash bar and that was Dec.

I just feel like I should get out while we can still get along. I brought it to him in Nov/Dec. Like I said I am not mad, just disappointed. I would have liked to have raced at the end of this year.

The guy is a fine craftsman and does top notch work. I just don't think his interest is in tube chassis race cars. They aren't the low hanging fruit so to speak. SO I will have a ton of stuff to go get and then haul to another chassis builder somewhere. Bad news, but something good comes from everything bad... the good news is I will finally get some bars welded on my car.

The other good news is I got to start on a motor earlier than I thought. I was going to run the 514 in the new chassis but due to sheer boredom I had to do something, so that got moved forward.

this is a major set back, but we must move forward.

I surely hope his feelings don't get hurt on this, he means well and is a really good guy. I still consider him a friend. This is the hardest thing I've had to do in a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 09:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to merc460
WOW! I know exactly how you feel, and I feel for ya. Went through the same thing, except my 'friend' got a year of FREE evening work from me I got squat. Still trying to get the chassis built.
I hope all goes well when you get your stuff.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to telephone them at four in the morning.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc460
WOW! I know exactly how you feel, and I feel for ya. Went through the same thing, except my 'friend' got a year of FREE evening work from me I got squat. Still trying to get the chassis built.
I hope all goes well when you get your stuff.
Come to Kentucky , I'll be glad to work you for free :P
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:16 PM

I've been there.

In my experience, the worst thing you can do is get a "great deal" from a good friend for anything involving labor. After getting burned multiple times on either the monetary or time factor...I've decided if I can't do it myself, I'd rather pay a reputable complete stranger double than take the job to a friend.

A friend will give you a good price, then sit on the project forever as they take better paying jobs. "When they can get to it" never comes around. It always ends up costing them to work on your car; so it sits. Your friend knows you personally and knows you will forgive and/or understand how busy they are.

Lastly, a friend knows you're not going to firebomb their shop when they've had your car for a year or two and havn't touched it.

No more "friends jobs" for me. The closest I come to employing a friend is asking to borrow a lift, or paying for a specific small-job while-I-wait.

www.RaceSystems.com
Home of Project Ludicrous Speed
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I know how you feel Jerry. That's how the guys who built an engine for me years ago were. After they did all of the machining and porting I pretty much assembled it myself in their shop!

Do you have any chassis guys in mind? I know New Orleans is a drive for you but there are some good guys down here. Some good ones in Baton Rouge too.

John

87 Mustang, 514, glide, etc...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The old addage applies.....'if you want something done, you gotta do it yourself'.

As the world turns...I get more dizzy!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorinoStyle2
The old addage applies.....'if you want something done, you gotta do it yourself'.
True enough however, NHRA aqnd SFI specs require Tig welded and certain chassis specs. Granted I have the book on the specs but a reputable chassis shop is who you'd normally get to do this. this isnt'a a back half mild steel 2x3 frame rail car, not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just that the car has to be inspected to 6.00 flat, 25.1E specs. Unless you are REALLY GOOD this is somthing you don't usually do at home. USUALLY... there are a few exceptions of course.

Mainly I don't TIG weld or have a tig welder.... big obstacle right there.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorinoStyle2
I agree. I'll try to do everything myself just to save me the aggrevation of dealing w/ a situation like above. It took 8 months to get my wife's cousin to do the machine work on my block and heads. Last time I'll ever tell anyone doing something for me "to take their time,I'm in no hurry".

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2158/ricksadql2.jpg
www.rickscarcare.net
Big Thanks to Chris Corey
aka TopSportsman916
[email protected] ALL MOTOR - NO KOOLAID
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

strange thing, he must have felt something. I called him this morning and he said he put the body on the chassis today. makes no difference, too little too late.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:23 PM

Chassis Builder

Sorry to hear your troubles JS there is an old southern saying we use way up here in michigan, fish, family and friends stink after 3 days. When you find a new chassis builder make sure he has the new chassis specs 25.1E changed in the 2006 year so the chassis builders will be busy updating everyone chassis. Gregg
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:52 PM

JS i have a chassis shop in Indiana PROTREE RACE CARS
if i can help you just e-mail me back
i just finished a complete moly chassis car that cert it 6.00 it was 69 mustang the guy is a member of the forum
all cars are certified befor they leave my shop
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 09:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to fordsbyjay
Chassis work can be a very in depth job. I know your point as one of the chassis builders in my last city seem to have the same 4 or 5 cars in his shop year after year and he would just bang a few small jobs in and out. I often wondered if they were all his friends cars or what but I did hear complaints from other customers at cruises etc. After saying that I have done some chassis work myself and it is a painfully slow process (measure everything a million times, weld once). Tig welding even adds more time. I often wondered if it got to be a much faster process had I had alot more experience in that field. Obviously you are having NO progress at all and you have a large job to do. I can't recommend anyone so I hope you have some better luck than you have been having.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting.."holy crap.... what a ride!"
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the offer.

I'll be bringing the car to Mitch Perkins, Perk built race cars in Wetumpka Ala.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 03:01 PM

You know I think there is a joke somewhere in here, hmmmm. You know your chassis builder is slow when he is delayed 3 times due to the certification requirements bieng updated.
Sorry couldn't resist.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with this, it really hurts when you have to do something like take teh work back away from someone you consider a friend, been there done that but we are still friends, it might make him made for a minute but if he is honest he will just go on and continue to do work that is paying him more and is more what he wants to do and continue to be your friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in