4X4 pulling ?? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

4X4 pulling ??

4X4 pulling question.....

My 88 F-250 has decided its wanted to produce wheel hop in the rear end when pulling. I've had the rear axle blocked up for a stock class. ( must be removable by rule) Tomorrow, I'm adding a silly ladder bar set up. Something to try. I pull by both Tach and the "feel" of the truck. The last two times I've pulled ( over a 4 year period due to a cracked block, I usually pull 1-2 times a year as a hobby) anywho.... the last two times down the same track, I've spun the driveshaft. I get wheel hop, back off, let it smooth out....and slowly get back into it. The wheel hop returns and BANG! bye bye drive shaft.

I'm assuming the wheel hop is coming from leaf spring wrap up and scratching for traction, losing it getting it back...repeat. I'm hoping the ladder bars will solve the hopping.

NOWWWWWWWW! My question, Being that its the rear axle, the sled should hold it to the ground ( to a point ) unlike a front axle on trucks I've seen resemble that of a basket ball. Should I keep letting off if the seat of the pants feeling tickles my fancy, or should I just hammer through it?
I've got spare parts...lol.... I'm going to hammer through it this time! lol

What do you think? What would you do?

Thanks, Troy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 06:40 AM

Well what I'd do is lower your front tire pressure too 15# and put 35# in the rear tires ...Ease the sled out of the hole about 30' and them mash the gas and ride it out to the end of the track ..
If you do get some hopping .. just back off the gas and mash it again real fast to try settling it down one time only... after that ride out what ever comes ..
I usually say break what ever you have to , but after you go past the point of no return .. which is usually 50' or 75' mark ... then it go go go ...

ShaZam
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Ladder bars

The bars would be a place to start, have one of your buddies watch underneath your truck when you pull. You'll probly see your rear u-joint at 45 degree angle just before it snaps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in