Driving tips needed... - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Driving tips needed...

To date, my car has run a best of 12.29 @ 118 mph. This was with a 7.5" rear end, stock rear suspension, 2.73's & open diff. Every time I shift into 2nd gear (when at the drag strip), the tire spin...I let off and get back in it.

Tonight, I finished putting in a different axle. It's an 8.8 out of a Mark VII w/ 3.27's and an oem limitied slip (auburn style). After taking it for a quick jaunt down the highway, I can already feel a dramatic difference in the way this thing drives!

When the rear tires let loose, the car tries to come around on me pretty quick.

Since I don't have the money/resources for a set of sticky tires yet, I'm going to continue using my 205/65/15's. I'm fully aware that this limited slip is going to react different than the old rear axle.

If the car starts getting out of shape (while at the drag strip), what do I do? Stay in it? Let off? After watching videos of wrecks, people often say what they did or didn't do right-- I don't want to be in one of those videos .

Have a good day!
Michael

2003 F150 Supercrew
BBF
Turbo

1996 Ford Mustang
2.3t w/ HE351VE turbo
12.10 @ 114 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Keep it floored and steer towards the sun!! LOL
Okay, just kidding.......its best to let off the pedal when you feel that its too far sideways. Let off and live to race another day!! keeping your machine intact is always better than wrecking it for the crowd!!

As the world turns...I get more dizzy!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Re: Driving tips needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Mustang460cid
When the rear tires let loose, the car tries to come around on me pretty quick............Since I don't have the money/resources for a set of sticky tires yet, I'm going to continue using my 205/65/15's.
What costs your wallet more, a set of new slicks......or repairing a scuffed & bent car with a gardrail rash? Get the slicks now or take your chances, it's your choice.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would before I geta a set of slicks make sure I had a set of moser sst axles, at least then you might keep the stock axles from breaking..

Randy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 08:55 AM

Seeing that your car is scratching for traction, I recomend that you remove it immediatly and crate it up and sell raffle tickets to your wonderful friends here @ 460ford.com...lol

Quote:
guardrail rash
Those two words say it all.

Like watching Big Daddy back in the day..... When all else fails...pedal it down the track.

I've had my share of driveshafts spitting out, cracked wheel bearings from playing "Dukes of Hazzard" flying over hills etc. Nothing like being in a 5300lb. truck , airborn, coming down on one front tire...lol Thank you Lord for moving that tree! :shock: When buzzed, one tends to forget that steering only works when in contact with pavement! Lean! Lean! lol

I'd hate to see you on any video with a guardrail magnet. I guess you could figure out at what RPM's the tires break loose ( yet tracks change...lol) until you can get better sneakers. Good luck!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 11:09 AM

I can only say that fishtailing can be fun and entertaining at low speeds. Above 100 mph, it blows badly and usually requires an early trip home for clean shorts.

The older I get, the smarter Dad was.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:19 PM
RCJ

Now that it's getting power to both tires maybe it will hook and turn the best E.T. ever.The uneven traction on the streets can make a limited slip exciting.Try to be smooth with the throttle and double check you bolts and bushings.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I have found

I have found that running cheap tires and a traction lock rear can be real fun. :shock: From what it feels like, an open rear lets one tire spin while the other rear tire helps you keep tracking straight. When they both spin, there is nothing to stop you from swinging like a pendulum. You'll really notice it in the rain.

Where's my beer and that half inch wrench?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...cecar066-1.jpg
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 12:39 PM

Michael,

See if you can find some used slicks somewhere or maybe some drag radials. I know some of the outlaw true street racers in my area that run a new set of 28 X 10.50's for about 20 runs and then sell them for like $100 and they last forever when bracket racing.

If you foot brake it and don't have a loose converter then you should be OK with the stock axles for a little while but sooner or later it will break one of the 28 spline axles. Since you have an automatic and you are'nt launching it that hard then you may be surprised at how long they will last. Only time will tell

If you feel it coming around on you get out of it ASAP. NOW if you find yourself out of control and having to correct and then over correct THEN as a last resort stomp on it and just spin it around.

Good luck at the track next time!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You might be running 11's at 120 - you should look into C clip eliminators with the tires. Break a stocker or lose the clip down track and it'll be out of the housing before you can get it stopped.

1967 Falcon 4 door
Owner built, owner abused.
http://raceabilene.com/misc/hisnherspic.jpg
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 10:10 PM

Look at where you want to go.

If your staring at that wall, your going to hit it. :shock:
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 09:26 AM

Slicks

The track is much stickier then backroads so it'll go a little straighter. But it just so happens that I have a set of MT Slicks 28.5x10x15 mounted on weld draglites, 15x8, rim screws and all. Just taking up space in my storage locker. Make me an offer. Shipping from zip 84737. wt about #32 each.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in