Gillett's Night Pulls - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Gillett's Night Pulls

Well with two rain delays we finally got the pull in @ 1:00 A.M.

My original thoughts was to put in a 1200 Gear and try to take this sled for a ride. But after watching the Open Stock class I saw that Wheel Speed wasn't the answer this night ... SO I dropped down to a 800 gear hoping to get the wheels to hook to the track ..

Hooked to the sled for the my first class at 12:00 ..
Super stock I was the first puller and with this club there is no first puller redo.. so what I got was final...Eased it out of the hole and stepped into it at the 50' mark and the tach zinged up to 8000 like right now .. Let up a little but there was just nothing there . Mashed it again and rode it out turning 8500 RPM's to finish 5th out of 13 Trucks ....

Well changed to the Bar Tires .. I usually drop one gear for the mod tires But after spinning nowhere in Super I figured these would hook a little better .

Well @ 1:00 A.M. I was the first puller in Mod also So I easy it out even a little further then I did in Super but when I put the beans to her it was Up to 8000 again Backed out of it and try it again still nothing at the 100' mark I was turning 8900 RPM. and going nowhere ..
Finished 4th out of 6 Trucks
Gave everyone in the Stands a good ear tingling..
8900 RPM's from a BBF Sounds really wicked and makes the hair in your ears dance....

I forgot my camcorder at home so I'll have to try to get video from someone else that was there ..

Lesson learned today Stay with my gut instinct .. should have left the 1200 in there and hoped it pulled the motor down some ..

ShaZam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 12:06 PM

Sounds like you may have overpowered the track a little, I have a video of us pulling on a really loose track, I mean almost beach sand. I lugged it out of the hole and dropped the hammer at about 30'. The truck actually slowed down when I stood on it. I didn't know it until I watched the video. I was beat by trucks that literally had half the hp I did that day. Loose or muddy tracks take two things, skill and luck. Sometimes a little finess goes farther than brute force. Good job and good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 12:07 PM

Sounds like you may have overpowered the track a little, I have a video of us pulling on a really loose track, I mean almost beach sand. I lugged it out of the hole and dropped the hammer at about 30'. The truck actually slowed down when I stood on it. I didn't know it until I watched the video. I was beat by trucks that literally had half the hp I did that day. Loose or muddy tracks take two things, skill and luck. Sometimes a little finess goes farther than brute force. Good job and good luck.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

It'd be a good time to check the valve springs
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Funny you say that ShaZam is coming in the shop tomorrow to go thru the valve train to make sure everything is up to snuff ..

Just off the top of your head Lem what should my seat pressure on those TFS A-460 heads be ...

ShaZam
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUKPULR
Funny you say that ShaZam is coming in the shop tomorrow to go thru the valve train to make sure everything is up to snuff ..

Just off the top of your head Lem what should my seat pressure on those TFS A-460 heads be ...

ShaZam
Which springs do you have ? The ones that come with the TFS package ?...if so ...the catalog calls for 250# @ the seat .
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonpullin
Sounds like you may have overpowered the track a little, I have a video of us pulling on a really loose track, I mean almost beach sand. I lugged it out of the hole and dropped the hammer at about 30'. The truck actually slowed down when I stood on it. I didn't know it until I watched the video. I was beat by trucks that literally had half the hp I did that day. Loose or muddy tracks take two things, skill and luck. Sometimes a little finesse goes farther than brute force. Good job and good luck.
I over power the track .. but it wasn't loose at all like up at Iron River .. they worked it up added to much water, but worked the track to a nice condition.. looked to have lots of bite .. then it rained for about 10 minutes .. made it a really gooey mess..so they scraped it off for about an hour and got it pretty good again, but buy the time my class came up it got pretty hard again.

Tires where only digging in about an 1/4" as we went down the track.

Like I said I should of stayed with my Gut and left the 1200 gear in and tried to finesse my way down the track .... Had I only turned 7000 Rpm's I would have had the same wheel speed as I did .

ShaZam
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem Evans
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUKPULR

ShaZam
Which springs do you have ? The ones that come with the TFS package ?...if so ...the catalog calls for 250# @ the seat .
I'm pretty sure Charlie use the ones that came with it .. Thanks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

ShaZam has the TFS blue stripe valve springs, which as Lem said, go 250 lbs. on the seat. To his benefit he also has REV titanium intake valves, so that really helps when the engine sees 8500 rpm.

Hope this helps,

Charlie Evans
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.evans
ShaZam has the TFS blue stripe valve springs, which as Lem said, go 250 lbs. on the seat. To his benefit he also has REV titanium intake valves, so that really helps when the engine sees 8500 rpm.

Hope this helps,
Darn good investment those ti intake valves . The SS units would be getting into trouble 8900 RPM :lol:
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I agree with Lem 110% about the titanium valves being a good investment. I believe that truck pullers are harder on these engines than drag racers, they see higher rpm and they hold it there for a longer period of time.

I overlooked the fact that Dan said 8900 rpm when I mentioned 8500 rpm, I'm glad Lem picked up on it. The point is that a bunch of rpm!!

I appreciate the fact that Dan was WISE enough to make that decision to "spring" for the titanium intake valves. He spent money initially, in order to save money in the long run. He would have killed his valve springs with the stainless steel intake valves. The weight of the stainless steel valve would have been 168.5 grams whereas the weight of his titanium valve is 114.5 grams. That's a weight savings of 54 grams!

The problem that lot's of tight budget guys will encounter is that they try to buzz their stainless steel valved engine like a small block and then the spring loses control of the valve and we have valve float. When that occurs, the valves will hit the pistons and the become bent or broken resulting in even further damage to the engine, such as holes in the piston, collapsed ring lands and etc. In the long run, it becomes more expensive to repair all the carnage, than it would have been to run titanium valves in the first place.

I'm glad you're making all that power Dan. I know you'll check your valve spings this week and perform any other preventive maintence. Please gear it so you'll work the torque range next time, 8900 rpm makes me nervous!

Charlie Evans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in