Truck pulling - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Truck pulling

Ive been around truck pullling ever since i was a little kid i want to see about getting into it when im done with school. My question is that should i start at stock or street stock class? Wish i could do pro street or D3 but ill have to wait for several years. Money wise maybe ballpark range for something competive in street stock? Also does neone know which makes better hp and torque at high rpm blue thunder heads or scj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 05:55 PM

Just for giggles, I would start in the stock class and get your feet wet. Watching truck pulling is like watching football...alot different when you're in the game...lol

I say stock because you can start out on a very low budget. You can sneak in killer heads and a billion cfm carb, but what it all comes down to is traction. I've pulled many years with a pure stoke EFI 460, I've been beaten by the other guys, but at times have blown past those chebby 427s and 454's with $5000.00 sunk in thier engines. Lets just say they get a bit upset...lol An 88 460 was rated at 230 pitiful hp..lol

I'm looking to take out my independent front dana 50 and put in a dana 60 high pinion. In a stock class ( around me) you cant put wieght any further than the front of the bed. Adding the dana 60 not only adds wieght, but I don't have to go down the track pigeon toed once I hook. lol

Posi front is my next deal. I'm thinking Lincoln locker, but it isn't allowed in the stock class, yet I've seen others sneak it by. TRACTION!

The open class guys are a blast to see roar down the track and hear the tranny shift through all 3 gears. That takes a buttload of power. They are running the "bar style" Dick Cepek tires that are about 24 inches wide. They get the bite, so they need the heads and carb to spin them. My chebby buddy has a 454 bored .125 to a 494 and a ton of head work done. When I first helped him 20 years ago, I had no clue as to why there was a pile of weld over each valve port when the covers were off...lol Sewer pipes...sheesh. Ca-ching.

I have the same fun in a stock class, and sometime go into the street modified class just to play. Will i go for the open class and bore and stroke? Maybe if I happen to trip over a bag of cash.lol The further you go modifying, the harder it is to compete in each class.

Last year my local pulling club started a diesel class because of wieght issues. A trial. With chips and tweaked injector pumps...black smoke pouring out the exaust.....but blah.... 3000rpms....zzzzzzzzzzzzz. lol

I want a motor to go by and feel its thunder penetrate my soul.

Traction!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey Scj429, I should be in Lebanon at the county fair on July 14. Look for the all Black late '76 Ford(Pullin for Christ II). Come and see me.

Later, Bret

Pullin For Christ

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 09:23 AM

I too live in Lebanon and in this area the stock class would be the best way to startout. Street stock has got pretty tough the last few years and takes a GOOD motor to be competitive. The only class that you could run either of those heads in would be D3, all others have to be factory cast iron.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 01:57 PM

Be sure to go by and meet Bret. He is a super nice guy and his truck is awsome looking and pulls great also.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Dennis, thanks for the too kind words. Will you be there? And have you got your truck up and running yet?

I finally got mine out last Saturday. Took a first at MHTPA, went from there to Dixon and took second. Friday night at Linn I took first in Pro Street, and second in DIII(not much competition). Last night we went to New Haven and took first and second in DIII again(more but not great competition). Anyway, I was going to put a stick in the truck and will probably hold off a bit for now.

I'm very pleased and very Blessed!

Pullin For Christ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in