Toploader for a 460 in a '68 Galaxie?? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Toploader for a 460 in a '68 Galaxie??

Tried asking in a Galaxie list and the N54 trans forum and no response, so maybe you guys here can help me, I hope!

I am converting my '68 Galaxie from a 302/FMX to a 460/toploader. I'd love to do a 5 speed overdrive since I drive the car a lot (basically in the summer it's a daily driver), but I don't think my budget will allow for that.

What type of toploader should I be looking for? I know I need the long tailshaft for the shifter to line up right in a Galaxie. Is the Galaxie long tailshaft shared by any other car? What year transmissions should I be looking at? What part numbers should I be looking for?

Also, since this is going behind a 460 (mild engine) should I be looking for a big in/out toploader or will regular small input shaft toploader like from behind a 390 suffice?

What will I need as far as a bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel? Anything special to look for there or will any ol' parts work fine?

What are thoughts on a linkage? I have clutch pedals and a z-bar from a '65 with a 6-banger. Will this setup work with a 460 installed using modified FE mounts (have the mounts and modified, ready to drop in)? I have a feeling the answer is probably no.

If the z-bar setup won't work or needs too much work to fit I think a cable setup would be the best route. What would be needed to make this work in my Galaxie with a toploader? I know I need to extend the top of the clutch pedal so it can pull on the cable, that's no big deal. What should I get the rest of the parts from and what exactly do I need?

How about a hydraulic setup? I know they exist, but I don't care for hydraulic clutch actuation (don't like the pedal feel) and it's probably expensive to do (cost is a consideration). Would like to know about it though just as a last option.

I just want to see what all my options are and try to get everything I need before I start the swap. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 05:49 PM

Wolfe race craft makes a "Box" that you weld into your trans tunnel. Rod runs through box.. along floor int of the car and has a clutch pedal on one end.. end inside the trans tunnel has linkage to hook clutch arm to. I have a few friends running these in fox chassis cars with great success. Just make sure its straight when you weld it in.

I am also looking for a top loader to go behind my 460. I KNOW I need the big in/out because I fully plan on raping this car to the bitter end. :twisted:
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 08:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to PatFromJersey Send a message via Yahoo to PatFromJersey
Here's a great place to look for parts and ID stuff.

http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/

I'd try to find the big in/out top loader. I'll be using the McLeod Flywheel 463222, Pressure Plate 360650, Clutch Disc 260863, TO bearing 16042, and a big block clutch fork, for the 1 3/8 X 10 spline. I'm going with a hydraulic setup, because I won't be able to use the headers I have, which work great with the C6 that's in the car now. Most of the 460 headers for swaps, won't work with 4-speeds. I'm using a Wilwood pedal and master cylinder, down to a CNC push style slave cylinder on the bellhousing. I have some good ideas looking through a couple Cobra Replica sites, using 460's. I'll post pics when I'm finally done with that stage.

New project coming... 1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe 521/C6

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

460/4spd in a 68 Gal

I have a 67 galaxie with a 460 and 4 spd.
The 4 spd is from a 66 fairlane, it's a wide ratio, small in&output, and a long tailshaft. I have a hurst comp plus shifter, that works great but I should use a shiftrod for a galaxie, they arch farther back to you don't have to reach nearly as far for the 2 to 3 throw.

now the bell housing is a lakewood. I used a factory clutch linkage off a 68 gal from FL. I had to fabricate the pivot support for the trans end. as that was missing from the parts.
the flywheel is a original 429CJ unit, 11.5 inch, I have a stock 11.5 truck clutch in it.

With 1.5 seasons at the track so far I have not had a single problem with clutch or trans. I have just about finished the 460's life though.

As far as parts go, you can use any late 70's or 80's truck bell housing from a 400 or 460. use the flywheel from a 460 NOT a 400, the 400 have a counterweight that needs to be machined off before it could be used.

the 66 gal 6 cyl linkage will only partially work. 65-66 brake and clutch pedals are different from 67-68. the push rod is different. the Z-bar will fit, the chassis pivot support should fit,

Bottom line you are going to have to do some fab work...

Good luck
feel free to ask more ??
I've done a couple 460 installs in 60's gals, it really wakes the ol' girls up...

Dane V
www.fordautowrecking.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks much Dane, you've been very informative!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in