Open Comp Class - Anyone race Open Comp? - 460 Ford Forum
Chilly's Garage A place for non-460 banter.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Open Comp Class - Anyone race Open Comp?

I'd like to give this class a whirl in the near future. Anyone race this type of class? Likes and dislikes?

MP dragway has added an Open Comp class to the Car Wars series. It doesn't pay much, maybe it will pay more in the future.

NMRA has an Open Comp Class.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
http://photobucket.com/albums/f75/Phantasea466
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 09:28 AM
dfree383

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
One of the guys on my site races NMRA Open Comp Check-out www.popsracing.com and Look for pops90gt.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:47 AM

From personal experience I can tell you that if payouts go up so does the price of competing. Big payout money attracts big expensive racers. If that's what you want...fine but we had more fun racing for $50 bux a round or a case of oil...to win.

Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Stevens
From personal experience I can tell you that if payouts go up so does the price of competing. Big payout money attracts big expensive racers. If that's what you want...fine but we had more fun racing for $50 bux a round or a case of oil...to win.
I don't mind the big expensive racers, I plan on winning anyway :lol:

I may try it in the near future. It looks fun. I'm thinking that I need to short shift the car to take 0.10 seconds out of it

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

"If it doesn't fit, Force it. If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to bbstickstang
i've run it

i've run it at rockingham.they run it with a 4 tenths pro tree and the 10 break out.you just need to find something to consistently knock the 10 th off during qualifing.i run a 5 speed and i have short shifted 1/2, 2/3, during qualifing.that knocked about a 10 off.i have also run it flat out and bumped the n2o in 5 th gear to make up the difference.its a game you can play with at the other end .the n2o really picked up the MPH and made the car hard to judge on the top end .i got runner up at a race in 04.holcomb motorsports nastalga race..its fun try it .........ron

[email protected] New best, 1.31 60', 12-5-15 All Muscle and No Steroids!
69fb mustang ,509,Liberty Equalizer,5.29 ,31x10.5 w ,3309 w/driver.
I get to feel the torque of a BBF 4 times an 1/8 and 5 times a 1/4.
www.classicgearjammers.org
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 06:55 PM
TopSportsman916

I have thought about running Mod Comp in FFW but it's been so long since I have "no box" raced , that I would hate to see my reaction time. :lol: Now the .4 pro tree that is a different story. I loved the .4 pro tree when I raced Super Gas.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 07:13 PM
dfree383

We race the 4/10th pro tree at POPSRACING it Bad to the Bone !!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 04:53 PM

open-comp,,

The guys that run open-comp and win usually put about 200 lb's of ballast in the trunk for qualifing,then pull out 100 lb's to get the .10 seconds back,then as the rounds go on they can add or remove weight depending on weather or track changes,hope this helps,,,,,Gregg

Gregg Sheridan
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 05:51 PM

Would it make sense to use one of MSD's timing controls? I know that pulling some spark lead out of our BB Ranger makes it lay down consistently. Seems like a "dial it out" for qualifying, and "dial it in" for elims would be cheap, easy and consisent. Yes? No?

The older I get, the smarter Dad was.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Re: open-comp,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos-stang
The guys that run open-comp and win usually put about 200 lb's of ballast in the trunk for qualifing,then pull out 100 lb's to get the .10 seconds back,then as the rounds go on they can add or remove weight depending on weather or track changes,hope this helps,,,,,Gregg
Good Idea!

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:06 AM

Open comp format classes are a blast. This type of racing takes the $$$$$$$ out of competition. It is literally all about the driver and how well he knows his car. I've run FFW Mod Motor class until it was merged with their Open Comp class (now called Mod Comp) and then I switched to the new Ultra Stang class (also open comp format). It's a great way to race if you're tired of all the electronics involved with "box" racing or your sick of getting "out-dollared" in heads up competition.

I use ballast to make up my tenth. I have also used timing and electronic tuning but ballast is, by far, the easiest.

Remember though.........Don't Blink. :twisted:

SD Wheeler
ShadowLands Racing
2006/2008 Ultra Stang World Champion
Kicker Audio - Exile Turbo - Probe / Coast High Performance - Oakley - Street Car 1320 Clothing
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

My buddy Richard races Mod Motor and at least he did. I remeber last year at the last race he knocked the points leader out in the first round and the guy didn't win the points race. The second place guy ended up wining the event and the points race :lol: Hope it wasn't you :P

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:30 AM

Nope. Wasn't me. I was nowhere near the points lead in M/M last season. I only raced three times last year. Figured I'd make up for it this year in U/S. Been in the points lead since the first race and I'm not giving it up either.

Was that a FFW race or NMRA? Reason I ask is that Robert Hindman won the M/M championship at FFW last season. He was damn near unbeatable. Sounds like the fiasco that went down in Bowling Green last year.

SD Wheeler
ShadowLands Racing
Kicker Audio - Exile Turbo - Probe / Coast High Performance - Oakley - Street Car 1320 Clothing
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

I belive it was NMRA but I could be mistaken. Could have been FFW. I know it was in BG. Chuck was telling me about it when they got back from BG last year. Richard was really proud of that win :lol:

I don't remeber his number but it's M/M XXXX

Damon Sea
1983 Mustang
534ci

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:41 AM

Bowling Green would be NMRA.

SD Wheeler
ShadowLands Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in